Real world driving experience with M6

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by cat-a-pult, Jan 7, 2016.

1. cat-a-pult

cat-a-pult Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hi all - I'd love to hear your real-world experience with driving the M6. If you also have experience with the A8 (as some of you do - I've had conversations with a couple of members on this and they have been very helpful) and wish to compare and contrast - that would be terrific. I know it's ultimately a personal choice and both are great choices, but before I choose I'd like to see how 'livable' others are finding their M6 in particular based on actually owning and driving it. FYI, I don't plan to drag race the car and I live in the Detroit area so traffic will be a factor, though most likely I will avoid using the car in peak rush hour traffic (it will not be a true daily driver, mostly a 3-season/medium traffic driver). I'd also like any info on the expected life of the clutch in normal (i.e., no racing, no abuse) use. Thanks in advance. This forum is an awesome resource and I'm really enjoying reading various posts!

2. FreightTrain

FreightTrain Comfortably Numb

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i love the driving my cat with the M6.. for me anyways i love rowing my own gears.. i have over 12,500 miles on mine and had it a year.. i live in the country and have only had it in bumper to bumper stop n go 2 mph traffic a few times... it REALLY SUCKS!! in those conditions as it idles at 8 mph in first... clutch is out of warranty 12,000 miles or one year which ever is first.. they say it CANNOT hold up to racing at all... but did i say i love it? NOTHING like having a Blown 707hp Hemi with a manual 6 speed behind it... soooooo much fun,, just gotta ask yourself which you would get more pleasure from.. they say the A8 is amazing as well and have only heard good things about it.. if i couldnt row my own i would get one,.. but as long as i can row... ill keep the M6

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 3
  3. blaze

blaze ☆★✪ The Watcher ✪★☆ Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    nailed it FreightTrain

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. bwrguy

bwrguy Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I had a 2013 CTS-V with an auto, and I found the car somewhat boring to drive. Sure it had 556hp and two different transmission modes + paddle shifters, but in the end I missed rowing the gears, so I traded for my Kitty.
    The manual isn't as fast as the A8, but one thing you will have with the M6 is absolute control of the car. The clutch isn't very heavy, the gears shift easily, not quite Honda precision, but pretty good, and the throws aren't too bad. The only downer is the skip shift feature, but that can be by-passed pretty easily.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Toolman_42

Toolman_42 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    So M6 was in my 2010 Challenger R/T (non-Hellcat). Drove it 5 years before upgrading to Charger Hellcat with A8.

When I got the Challenger I figured you couldn't have a muscle car without a stick. I really liked rowing thru the gears once I got rid of the factory skip shift. 1st to 4th...really... whos bright idea was that??? Anyway, back to the tranny...I upgraded to a Hurst shifter package to shorten the throw and tighten up the pattern. The Hurst set up did have some unique vibrations (wierd resonate frequencies) due to the milled tuning fork style leg set up (factory had mismatched round stock legs that kept resonate frequencies at bay. Clutch on the naturally asperated hemi was decent. The only thing that made it bearable in heavy traffic was the hydralics and even then it was painful. Since I'm in the DC metro area, heavy traffic is part of life and so was stop and go traffic. Clutch held up well over 5 years but at times I was wishing for an automatic. Note on traction control...nearly impossible on a clutch but they tried by mucking with the engine performance but that wasn't always a good solution if you needed to do some throttle steering (nearly impossible with bogging engine).

So then comes the Hellcat...Challenger or Charger. I went for the Charger with the A8. Never had an automatic that highlights so well what a motor can do. Three modes from wild to mild and back again. Smooth shifts in street mode to rock crushing shifts that are faster and harder than any clutch set up. Full traction control that really helps and supports the driver. Ability to manually shift it and catch a few extra revolutions if you would like. Downshifts that can break things loose up to highway speeds.

They both have their benefits but I have to say that in the end, the A8 is outstanding and tops out over the M6.

LONG LIVE THE A8!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. tsubahog

tsubahog Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
  7. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    if your not in heavy/stop-start traffic a manual will be just fine.....if its a weekend driver its perfect...

for me the car is made for the A8 and your missing out by choosing the M6........do you want the thrill of going through 3 gears to 60mph or 1 gear?

8. camarochevy1970

camarochevy1970 Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It takes 3 gears for the auto to get to 60?

9. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    at 60mph your in 3rd gear.

10. FreightTrain

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    who the hell rides first to redline unless your racing? the thrill of pointing it straight and pressing the gas? Yawn

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    me

im guessing at some point the person is going to go fast in his car....does he want the performance of going through the power band 2.5x's with a A8 or 1 band with a M6?....i dont own a M6 HC, but do own a 13 GT500---so i assume the power feel is very similar.....i get a much higher seat of the pants feel out of my A8 then i do with my M6.....i can do 0-60 in 3.5 seconds on the street while with my gt500 im in the low to mid 4's (i admit not to being a pro driver with a manual, but i think im at least average)

endless posts about people asking which is better a8 or m6.....20 years from now people will post---is a 2015,16 hc more fun with a M6 or A8

12. Ohiotj

Ohiotj Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I can relate this topic to my diesel truck first. The auto is very nice most of the time. But when I am towing I really want to pick the gear. The auto has that option but it really does it own its own time. I will be back in a stick shift truck if I traded in time before they are gone.
    The same is true for the hellcat. I want to decide what gear and when. I know you can select gears in the auto but it's not the same. I love the feel of stick and knowing when I am going to shift.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. FreightTrain

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i
    if i had a manual gt500 sitting about before the hellcats came out... i "might" have opted for the A8 as well... oh who am i kidding, i enjoy rowing the gears too much.. they would both be manuals

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. j_niko

j_niko Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have an M6. don't get me wrong, it's fun as hell but given the choice I think I'd take A8. My daily commute regularly puts me in stop and go traffic and while its completely drive-able in the traffic, it wears on the knee a bit.

15. charger440rt

charger440rt Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have 2 m6 Challengers (one is a Hellcat). I actually have to deal with considerable stop N go traffic. Never has bothered me and I could never see driving any car without a manual. It makes even the most boring car and drive, 'fun'. Being a sub-conscience skill at this point for me I find stop N go easier in a manual. But now we get down to the personal choice thing and how YOU feel about it. No one can answer that except yourself. Eventually if you stick with it long enough you begin to feel the way I mention, (once it becomes 100% reflex).

• Agree Agree x 2