Real World Hellcat Trade-In Value Feedback

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Mopar707, Dec 28, 2015.

1. Mopar707

Mopar707 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Gas Station.jpg
    Bought my 2015 Hellcat, 6 speed, white with navigation and summer tires for MSRP of 62080 on 4/27/15. Traded it in right at eight months later on a 2016 Honda CRV EXL on 12/24/15. Hellcat had under 2Kmiles. Dealer gave me 59800 for the car and and knocked 4200 off the price of the new car, so I felt the 59800 was a fair representation of trade-in value I was given as opposed to trade-in plus reduction in price on the new car. 2280 depreciation for eight months seemed fair enough to me for the fun of owning the car. I recouped about half of the sales tax since I paid no sales tax on the new car as the trade-in value was in excess of the new car price. I walked out the door with the new car and a check for 32K and change. Honda dealer did not want the car on their lot, but shopped it with dealers by phone. They did not say where it was going, but did say it was being shipped somewhere.

I probably could have gotten a little higher if I had tried to sell the car outright, but would have had to have paid about 2K in sales tax on the new car in Florida without a trade-in. This meant I would have had to have sold the car for right about MSRP had I gone this route. Plus deal with a lot of low ball phone calls or people who just hoped they could get to demo drive a Hellcat.

I hope the Hellcat prices hold up, but I was afraid they would drop when supply caught up with demand like the Camaro ZR1's. Now what to do with the 32K? I have a 67 Plymouth GTX 440 automatic. Maybe it it time for a muscle car upgrade.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. X-Men Fiend

X-Men Fiend Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have a CRV, along with a Challenger Hellcat, and they are complete opposites, in many ways, I don't think I could stomach it, having to hop into the Honda, when I'm actually in the mood to drive the 'cat...what possessed you to go from a Hellcat to a SUV?!? Isn't it like culture shock, the dramatic transition?!?

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Obiefox

Obiefox Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You my friend are most certainly the only person on this planet to ever trade a Hellcat Challenger for a Honda CRV.

My advice is stop sharing this story immediately.....:D

• Funny Funny x 17
    • Winner Winner x 7
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 3
  4. JBS$

JBS$ Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    There is more to this story.

5. Fast cat

Fast cat BANNED Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Sorry for your loss.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Mopar707

Mopar707 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I owned a 2011 CRV almost identical to the 2016 CRV before I bought the Hellcat. I have always had play cars and daily drivers. The playcars included (starting back in 1970) Lotus Europa, Triumph Spitfire, 65 GTO, 94 Viper RT 10, 96 Viper GTS, 67 Plymouth GTX and the 2015 Hellcat. I still am working on the 67 GTX restoration. The toys come and the toys go. My daily drivers have almost all been Hondas from four Accords to a Prelude to a CRX to two CRV's. Most of my wife's daily drivers have been Mercedes convertibles.

I got a survey after buying the Hellcat from some survey company asking what I most looked for in a car. I checked, reliability, resale, fuel economy, 4 doors, the ability to comfortably transfer four adults and ability to occasionally haul cargo. They then asked why I had bought the Hellcat and I selected "I saw it and I just had to have it." Not suitable for my daily driver and too expensive to keep as a toy. Wanted it, got it, had fun with it and will now move on to something else. Not sure what to do with the 32K and change I got back from the trade yet. Booze, drugs and wild women are always viable options!

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. ppowell1983

ppowell1983 BANNED Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If gas his 4 dollars a Gallon I might look for a tricked out Prius to take to car shows... Think, low pro spinners and a soup can exhaust on a 2004 Prius....... Sexy isn't it

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. JerseyCat

JerseyCat Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hey, using that logic - women are also sometimes too expensive to keep ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. NorCaletch19He77Kat

NorCaletch19He77Kat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    well--at least you had one!!

10. ppowell1983

ppowell1983 BANNED Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    A woman or a Hellcat?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  11. bighit2883

bighit2883 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I had 10k miles on my m6 on its 2nd set of tires had been in the shop for weeks because the head gaskets weren't tightened down enough from factory and it kept overheating. I traded the m6 in for a new A8. They gave me $60k on trade.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Bandit

Bandit Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    A hellcat for a Honda.

LMAO

And for a shitty CRV at that!

I hope your testicles grow back soon.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. gts_2001

gts_2001 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    There's a definition for this type of behavior. It's called Schizophrenia. Time to up the dose of Abilify and maybe throw in a few Electroshock Therapy sessions, too? Yikes!!

• Funny Funny x 3
  14. CNYHC

CNYHC SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'd go for a Tesla... It's like the Electric Hellcat... The Model S P85 or the P85D....

15. Mopar707

Mopar707 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The old saying is if it has tits or wheels, it is going to give you trouble. I posted this info more to give someone an idea of present Hellcat trade-in value than to explain my choices in car buying. The Hellcat was bought as a toy, not daily transportation. I still have a 911 Porsche Turbo, Ford GT and a real 69 Camaro Copo on the short list of toys I would like to experience owning in my lifetime. I have no desire to own all three at once and could never afford to do so. One at a time is fine. financial planning.jpg

The Hellcat and Honda CRV are very different vehicles, designed for different uses and both fill their intended purpose very well. I am actually anxiously awaiting for the Hyundai pickup to come out. The styling is extremely radical, especially the 5 foot bed where the entire back bumper, tailgate, taillights etc.slide out to form an eight foot bed when needed. Otherwise, it is three feet shorter for easy handling and parking. Like Hyundai's or not, that is pretty unique and innovative. The CRV is not unique, innovative or intended for performance, but it is well designed, fun to drive, efficient, provides a lot of utility and is extremely well built.

Hyundai Santa Cruz Truck Concept: The Long-Awaited Pickup Finally Arrives - Auto Shows

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
    • Funny Funny x 1