Real-World Horsepower?

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT 392' started by Max57, May 17, 2016.

1. Max57

Max57 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    I was at a Cars & Coffee meeting last weekend. One of the conversations was debating on what the actual horsepower is for the 2015-16 392 Hemi in our Challengers & Chargers. As we all know, Dodge has them listed as 485 HP. Others have claimed that the real HP rating is somewhere near or slightly over the 500 mark. I'd also imagine the same might hold true for the Hellcat being a bit over the advertized 707.

So for all you real gear-heads and Dyno testers out there, is there any real proof that the 392 has a higher rating then the advertised 485?

I have a similar thread on another Challenger site with many stating that 500 is very possible if not true. It seems to be a popular topic as per all of the responses. I just wanted to see what the Hellcat group also thought. If so, I'd like to hear your opinions or tests that were done for the next Cars & Coffee I attend.

And another personal reason I wanted some verification on the 500 mark for the 392, is that I'm going to be ordering hood emblems for my SRT (See thread on this forum. "Hood Emblems"). I'll probably order 485 HP, but it would look better with 500 HP,,,, lol ;)

Thanks in advance for your suggestions and thoughts. :)

2. Heavy Metal

Heavy Metal Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    How much is it to dyno? Maybe go that route? I'd do it if it isn't several hundreds.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Chipsthundercat

Chipsthundercat Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392

4. Chipsthundercat

Chipsthundercat Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    Hey Max, without question the dyno's have been done and explained in detail in articles and posts I have read over the last two years while I examined all the info I could on the challenger before ordering my go man go 392 Thundercat five weeks ago. I never saved the info, but have no doubt it's true ..... Don't feel inhibited at all putting 500 on your car. I will soon have the car of my dreams , been through hell as many have and am proud of my car....hell I might get one that says 505, that sounds even better !!! Lol..

• Like Like x 1
  5. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I would think $2,000+ because your engine will need to be removed from your car, dynoed then reinstalled......If the car has 485hp or 510hp what real difference does it make?...I am sure the stated HP isn't exact and varies from car to car....

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. pryanmag

pryanmag Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    I too have wondered just exactly how much HP my 392 has. I know they're advertised at 485 and some claim that they're more like right around the 500 mark but I'd like to know how much is mine specifically.
    I plan on getting it on a dyno pretty soon to find out. I have a buddy that works at a shop where all they do is performance upgrades on high horsepower cars. He told me recently that they've done 5 Hellcats all of which came in bone stock. Each one of the HCs were put on the dyno while stock and they all put down between 750-765 hp. Not sure why dodge would advertise them at 707 if they actually put out more. I will definitely post the results for my 392 once I get it done.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Max57

Max57 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    I'm still wrestling with the thought of putting 500 being that the 392 is advertised at 485 HP. Not sure which way I'll go yet. Should be ordering the emblems at the end of the month. I'll post photos when I get them.

Lol,,,. There's no way I'd have my engine removed just to have horsepower verified, even if it was for free. The thought of getting these hood emblems was just to add some detail to the hood being that I didn't want strips on it. Back in the 60s & 70s, having the horse power on the hoods was always popular. I guess I'm just reliving my younger days with this car, lol.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Max57

Max57 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    By all means, please post your results!!! If the Hellcats were showing over their 707 advertised rating, the 392s should also prove similar results. I might just wait for your results before I order my emblems. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Heavy Metal

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Max57

Max57 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    From what I can see from the above 3 videos, only the second one barley shows any results and it looks like it was only 406 HP. Correct me if I'm wrong.

11. Heavy Metal

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Read the comments in the videos and they explain more of what's going on. First video was 424whp, second was 400whp, and third was 410whp. One guy in the comments states he had 440whp on a Mustang dyno. So seems to vary greatly, but no doubt these cars put out more than the 485HP it's listed at.

2015 Dodge Challenger SRT 392 Dyno In this one the guy dyno'd 446whp which he states, "Yup, 446/.85 (15% loss) =524 crank horsepower. 13% is way optimistic, so the newest edition definitely puts out at least 510+. And it only makes sense based on how the car has performed."

Last edited: May 18, 2016
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Is this shop removing the engines and dynoing them? if they are using a chassis dyno there is no way a stock HC is going to show 750-765hp. There have been dozens of chassis dynos done on members HC on this forum and other Mopar forums and the average RWHP is around 640.

Not sure if some on this thread understand the difference between an engine dyno and a chassis dyno. The engine dyno measures HP at the crank. This is what the factory uses to rate HP. The engine is not in the car when this is done.

A chassis dyno is what most people are familiar with. The car is driven onto the dyno and strapped down. The rear wheels turn a drum and the measure Rear Wheel Horse Power (RWHP). This number will be approximately 10% to 20% less than crank HP due to HP loss thru the drive train. The A8 auto looses about 13%-15% and the 6 speed about 10%.

One important thing to remember that not all dynos are created equal. Different brands use different criteria to measure RWHP. A Mustang brand (nothing to do with the Ford Mustang) dyno will measure about 5% less RWHP than a DynoJet brand dyno. Many other factors affect dyno readings and the same dyno can give different numbers from day to day.

So if we assumed the HC A8 looses 13% and the RWHP is 640 then crank HP would be about 736.

If I remember correctly the 392s (485HP versions) are showing around 450 RWHP. Then crank HP would be about 517. Assuming a 15% power train loss it would be 529.

Remember that dynos are a tuning tool and not an accurate measure of power. The track is way more accurate.

The above info may be considered offensive to some people. If you are a sensitive person you should immediately close this thread and not read it. If you read this and become offended I cannot be responsible for therapy costs or loss of services for your partner.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Heavy Metal

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    This is very helpful. TBH I did not know what a dyno was before I bought my car and started coming to this site. Thanks. <----- what a schmuck haha

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Max57

Max57 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392

Thanks for the further details. I did go back and read the comments. ;)

Excellent explanation regarding the difference between RWHP and Crank HP Dyno results!!

So with this information saying that the rough average for the 392 is around 450 RWHP, 517 HP for the hood emblem would at least be factual. At present, (unless more info proves otherwise) I'll order the 517 HP emblems next month.

What a great forum for sharing information!!!! :)

15. spbmopar

spbmopar Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    ET and top speed at the track... you can calculate those numbers into pretty solid HP numbers!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1