Realistic Delivering time for ordered Charger Hellcat?

Discussion in 'Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat' started by Driver72, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hello all,

When new cars come out I rarely want to be one of the very first people to get it, just to make sure there are no initial flaws or problems, but after a couple months if all is good, I usually order.
    And that time is now approaching with my latest interest, the Charger Hellcat (silly that this site requires members to list one of 4 SRT cars on their profile, even though you may not own one yet, so no I don't own a Charger Hellcat yet, but there was no option for stating that.)

I built a Charger Hellcat on the Dodge site and did a nationwide search and not only did I not have a perfect match but the "high" and "medium" matches all showed "IN TRANSIT"

Guess this means there are no Charger Hellcats on showroom floors yet.
    My local dealers wanted $10k over MSRP to order one. I've bought 45 cars in my life and I'm not even 45 years old. I've never paid over MSRP for any of them, and I won't start with a Dodge/Chrysler (though I've owned several Dodge's including my current 2014 Ram 1500 CC Laramie 4x4).

Anybody pay MSRP or under when ordering, and how long did it take you to get your car, or how long have you been waiting to get your car?

Thanks

2. Brett M

Brett M Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Welcome to the site. Picking the 1 of 4 SRT options is just to show which car you are interested in. As for order to delivery, it is across the board. Mine was 4 months and 11 days or so. Good luck with your order. And yes, mine was at MSRP.

3. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I found a thread that shows the delivery times all over the map. But most of those posts seem to be people who ordered the Challenger between July and November of last year. Not sure when the order bank opened for the Charger Hellcat, but would be curious to know what people who have ordered in the past couple weeks were told and if their cars have begun to be built yet.

And thanks

4. tsc

tsc SRT Hellcat Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My Challenger took almost 6 months from deposit to delivery, almost 4 months from order opening to delivery. Charger took just under 2 months from order opening to delivery.

There are so many variables that it is impossible to estimate your own time. Location, dealer allocation, etc all play a role. Also, every car once released by the factory shows up automatically in inventory, even for a sold order. Those you see as in transit are likely customer sold cars.

We did not pay more than MSRP for either, btw.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks TSC.

• Like Like x 1
  6. shaystoy

shaystoy Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Charger ordered placed 1/12/15. Still do not have a VIN number assigned so the car is not even in the queue to be built.

7. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    ^^that blows.

8. LeoDoc

LeoDoc Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    My honest opinion....

If you were to order a charger today, expect SEVERAL months before getting it. As of now, there are multiple people who are stuck with nothing more than a POC...no vin number. This includes (as you've seen) people who ordered a couple months back. Couple that with FCA's recent statement about one Hellcat per month per dealer and this means big wait times. That's assuming they are going to hold steadfast to their statement.

Personally, my order was placed the day order banks open...I was second on my dealer's list...I'm expecting delivery within the next three weeks. I paid msrp.

At this point, you're likely going to have to get quite lucky in finding a charger that is not already sold and will be sold @ msrp. That or overpay. I hope it doesn't come to that for you. Best of luck!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Mtr

Mtr Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Driver72, no one can tell you authoritatively what to expect for delivery time because the ordering and allocation scheme was initially pretty messed up. We have people who ordered Challenger Hellcats 6 months ago who haven't gotten theirs but some people who ordered just a couple of months ago are getting their cars.

Dodge didn't want dealers just sitting on these cars because they were tacking huge amounts of added dealer markup. So their first attempt at an allocation scheme allotted more cars to dealers who were moving a lot of SRT product. Sounded good in theory but some dealers took WAY too many orders plus lots of dealers placed orders for inventory, while customers who were ready to buy were just expected to wait through the allocation process.

So a couple of weeks ago Dodge dramatically changed the allocation system: a dealer can get AT MOST one Hellcat (either a Charger or Challenger) per month, and may get zero if they're sitting on existing inventory. They're doing this so they can work down the backlog of orders. But because of that backlog and because this is all so new there is not enough data to establish what a normal waiting time is. A few months from now we'll be able to say, but right now it's all guesswork.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    In transit on the inventory site has a high chance of it being a sold order already just check for any dodge dealerships that have an unsold charger allocation or on this site weekly when a member posts. My sales rep has a charger hellcat allocation but not sure if he sold it by now. A week ago he said it was unclaimed.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hellcatdotclub,

Yeah one of my local dealers where I got my 2014 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 has an allocation spot for a Charger Hellcat too, unclaimed (they have sold 3 Challenger Hellcat's, but no Chargers yet).
    But he wants $10k over MSRP for it.
    Bastard! I asked him to talk to his GM about MSRP sale and I'd get it, he said he's "positive" they will not sell it for less than $10k over MSRP. Told him sorry, I'm not going to give them an extra $10k for nothing, just because they want to sell an allocation slot that was given to them. You'd think a dealer that you already bought a $52k truck from a year ago, would be happy to keep a customer willing to buy a $65k car from too. Sadly, in poor business practices, greed seems to trump loyalty and customer service.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I totally agree. Well since you're looking for MSRP, make sure to check here daily. Some members have picked up hellcats for MSRP each once or twice a week. Sorry to hear your local dealers aren't so customer focused.

13. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Here's my issue: If I can't get one in the next two months, I'd rather just wait then a few more months and get a 2016 model year. True it will be exactly the same, but having the newer model year represents more for the money. That is, of course, unless Dodge pulls a Nissan GT-R and jacks up the price of the 2016 model seeing that it's popular and realizing they may be able to ask another $2-3k for the car.
    I had a friend who's relative owned a Nissan dealership (still does).
    When the GT-R was announced he got 6 in the initial allocation.
    3 were sold at $20k above sticker, but my friend's brother in law said he'd sell one to him (for me) at MSRP if I wanted it.
    Then they were $69k base model and $72k Premium.
    The following year I think they jacked up the price $7k. And they've gone up every year since, often by sizable amounts.
    If Dodge pulls that, I'd be pissed.
    I can understand a $1k increase for 2016, but greed is no friend of mine.

14. superhellcat

superhellcat Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I understand from two dealers that they have already gone up 2k last week. Can anyone confirm this?

15. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    ^^I don't know the price is still the same on the Dodge website now as it was several weeks ago.