Rear axle boot rip--- help on cause?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Maintenance' started by DGatzby, Jun 28, 2016.

1. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    So folks looking for some help from the knowledge base. As some of you know, I had replaced the two top rear connecting arms with Spohn connectors early this season. Those are not at all shaped like the OEM units. Had a Vendor tell us he has sold 12-14 sets and no problems exist. Ok, I trusted that. We thought they were leaking their grease. BUT, I went to the dealer in early May and pointed at the drivers side rear axle boot and said that is leaking. The dealer said no leak, nothing to leak there! They said it HAS to be those aftermarket arms. Okay, I am really too trusting of a man sometimes. So I made arrangements to spend tons of cash; replace the Spohn connectors with the Razors Edge adjustable connectors. Then paid handsomely last week for the dealer to install them. Picked it up last Thursday, drove to work Friday, continued to smell grease. I looked right into the reps eyes at the dealer and told them to clean ALL grease off my car last week, right? Sunday it was time to change out my Triumph wheels/tires and install the OEM wheels/tires and inspect stuff to prepare for a road race day Monday. I was absolutely horrified after removing the right rear wheel to discover my beautiful chrome wheel caked with at least a 1/8" deep grease, grease all over even the wheel well and tire! Seems BOTH outside axle boots are destroyed! The left one must have puked nearly everything out slowly since early May. The right side must have had a quick dramatic failure and puked since Thursday. Picture below of the right side showing clearly the rip, the gunk, with a screwdriver stuck into the offending failure of the rubber. Some of you guys are techs. My dealer says they will replace the axles on warranty, BUT, it will happen again, because the connectors will impact the boot and rip it. So chime in...WTF did happen here? Of course I have consulted with Speedlogix for the hell of it this afternoon just to listen for the reassurance from Chris that indeed bunches and bunches of my brothers have these very arms and no problems exist like the tech has described. I know both sides have failed now, for some unknown reason, except what the tech says. What do you think has caused this?

image.jpeg

2. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf VIP Hellcat Member

Running hard ... in the Wasteland of my Mind.
    Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Why is there a screwdriver jammed in there? I'm pretty sure that's not an OEM part, huh, WTF (?).

Look, whenever a mechanical cluster f* *k happens to a high-end toy like a Hellcat that's undergone some aftermarket mods, the dealer's denials weighed against the vendor's explanations will always result in a fluid "he-said-this/he-said-that" situation.

The only way out is to throw more $$$ at either side, or both, to get it fixed, if it can be.

Just sayin'.

Good luck .... :cool:

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
  3. Markp

Markp Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Club Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If no stock cars have had this issue then it has to be the arms.

4. spenosk8er

spenosk8er Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    When I was 100% stock I had 2 axle boots tear. Apparently, in 2015 they changed manufactures and subsequently had multiple failures. I believe there was a TSB on them. The dealer replaced both axles as was called for, but it was only a minor boot tear that I caught early on. I have since done a decent amount of suspension work but haven't had any tears in over a year now. Don't worry, I honestly don't think it was your control arms, I suspect just a faulty OEM boot. Hopefully the next one you get on doesn't fail again!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Racist Cat

Racist Cat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Could possibly be a tech letting the wheel hang too low when changing the arm making the boot split?

Just a thought. I don't have any knowledge of the intricacies of the rear ends of these cars.

6. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks for the responses. Wanted to get back, Razors Edge has looked at the picture and determined the darn tech installed at least the top arm backwards. Should be a short chat with the appropriate folks in the morning to get this all resolved.

7. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf VIP Hellcat Member

Running hard ... in the Wasteland of my Mind.
    Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Good to hear you know what the cause is ... Let us know how it turns out. They should take care of you.

8. Aarcuda

Aarcuda Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    that arm looks dangerously close to the rotor.

I have a friend who had a hellcat delivered in dec '14 and he had a split boot too. The cause is normally just wear and tear but for it to happen that fast, it hints at defective parts (i.e., the boot). it should be flexible enough not to rip. thats why its there.