Rear axle boot rip--- help on cause?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Maintenance' started by DGatzby, Jun 28, 2016.

1. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    So folks looking for some help from the knowledge base. As some of you know, I had replaced the two top rear connecting arms with Spohn connectors early this season. Those are not at all shaped like the OEM units. Had a Vendor tell us he has sold 12-14 sets and no problems exist. Ok, I trusted that. We thought they were leaking their grease. BUT, I went to the dealer in early May and pointed at the drivers side rear axle boot and said that is leaking. The dealer said no leak, nothing to leak there! They said it HAS to be those aftermarket arms. Okay, I am really too trusting of a man sometimes. So I made arrangements to spend tons of cash; replace the Spohn connectors with the Razors Edge adjustable connectors. Then paid handsomely last week for the dealer to install them. Picked it up last Thursday, drove to work Friday, continued to smell grease. I looked right into the reps eyes at the dealer and told them to clean ALL grease off my car last week, right? Sunday it was time to change out my Triumph wheels/tires and install the OEM wheels/tires and inspect stuff to prepare for a road race day Monday. I was absolutely horrified after removing the right rear wheel to discover my beautiful chrome wheel caked with at least a 1/8" deep grease, grease all over even the wheel well and tire! Seems BOTH outside axle boots are destroyed! The left one must have puked nearly everything out slowly since early May. The right side must have had a quick dramatic failure and puked since Thursday. Picture below of the right side showing clearly the rip, the gunk, with a screwdriver stuck into the offending failure of the rubber. Some of you guys are techs. My dealer says they will replace the axles on warranty, BUT, it will happen again, because the connectors will impact the boot and rip it. So chime in...WTF did happen here? Of course I have consulted with Speedlogix for the hell of it this afternoon just to listen for the reassurance from Chris that indeed bunches and bunches of my brothers have these very arms and no problems exist like the tech has described. I know both sides have failed now, for some unknown reason, except what the tech says. What do you think has caused this?

View attachment 45313

2. clickr

clickr Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    just speculation here: is the tie rod end supposed to have that amount of "float" . Looks like the thru bolt may not have been tightened down enough causing excessive axle travel then hitting the connecting arms.

Hope you figure it out.

3. Steven_sbs

Steven_sbs Browncoats Unite Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Looks to me like there's a screwdriver sticking out of the boot. That might be your problem.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1