Rear axle seal leak

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Jared SRT Cat, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Jared SRT Cat

Jared SRT Cat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Was having a lot of rear end noise so i had my dealer take a look as to what may be the cause.. To my dissapointment this is what we discovered.. Long story short they are replacing the right rear axle and boots etc..

Attached Files:

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Jared SRT Cat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Few more pictures..

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  3. F6F

F6F BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That sucks. What is your build number?

4. Jared SRT Cat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Dont remember off top of my head.. It started out i noticed a little rear end whine st about 40-55 mph in 4th and 5th gears.. Dealer wanted to change out my fluids and have me put another 1000 miles on it and see if the noise continued.. Took the car in tuesday and as soon as they lifted it up i noticed the grease everywhere.. Luckily my dealership is standing behind me and were able to get the parts expedited.. Should be getting it fixed monday or tuesday.. I think srt is going to send down a tech to check it out.. I have also discovered a few other problems with the cat

5. F6F

F6F BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    when did you buy it? and how many miles on it? if you do not have the build number RS can help you out with that

6. Jared SRT Cat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Its at 1400 miles and i bought it in june.. I think it was one of the last shipments on the 15's.. Its pretty heartbreaking to say the least..

7. F6F

F6F BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It is very heartbreaking. Mine was built on 03/18 and my build number is 2831. I had an electrical issue but nothing mechanical. I am seeing many of those lately. Hopefully yours will get resolved soon. Keep us posted please

8. Jared SRT Cat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Will do man! Definety keep an eye out on those rear seals, i hate for anyone else to have problems..

9. F6F

F6F BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Did you have any leaks that were noticeable? I only hear the whining of the supercharger and that is it

10. Jared SRT Cat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Well i suppose i could've noticed this leak sooner.. Alot of the grease build up was caked on the top of my exhaust by the rear tire.. If ur worried u could take a flash light and look up underneath and see if u can see any of it.. it makes quite the mess! Oddly enough none of it ever fell on the garage floor

11. F6F

F6F BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That is very odd alright. I will check it out tomorrow. Thank you

• Like Like x 1
  12. Snappycat

Snappycat SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My HC had a very slight left rear seal axle/diff leak.It was a faulty seal from the factory. First noticed it about 1 hour after bringing kitty home. 6 miles on it...built 5/25...#4195. Fixed and looks good. Yours sounds more serious. Good luck and let us know what happens. And make sure when the repair is done and they run it on a lift to check for leaks....DON"T freak out if the top speed readout is abnormally high.;)

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Chris33

Chris33 Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    As not being a car expert in any field, is it this common for a new mass produced vehicle to come out with this many problems? I'm not trying to be negative be everyday I sign on here its always another problem or some type of issue i am reading about. I am 100% committed to buying this vehicle but man it really makes me wonder a bit. Id be devastated buying my dream car only to have issues at such early mileage. Sorry to hear about your Hellcat Jared

• Like Like x 1
  14. ChallCat

ChallCat Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It's probably no more than occurs with any model car.

I've had shite happen at nearly every stage with every car I have owned. I had a transmission fail in an F-250 with 1300 miles on it once...They are all just pieces and parts and they all are going to break down in one way or another.

You just notice it more when you read about it here :).

I've only had to have the fuel rail re-call, the radiator replaced and a power window motor replaced so far and almost 8k miles. And the last week it's been 95 - 100F with 85%+ humidity (been watching for heat issues and none so far, knock wood...).

As long as they take care of it, I suppose it's all just part of the game... get your dream car and have a blast man! :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Chris33

Chris33 Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    your right...... but you listed 3 issues with your Hellcat with less than 10k mileage. I think I have just been very fortunate with some of the Dodge cars and SUVS I've owned and still own that I did not have ANY issues besides normal wear and tear and oil changes, including the 12 SRT..... I know I am going to be like a lot of guys and gals on this forum who will have a 700-800 $$$ car payment for this beast when I can finally pull the trigger, it would just be catastrophic if something so soon happens like I have been reading. But that is what warranties are for RIGHT!? I'm really not bitching, just observing. Still think this car is the meanest Mother Fcker out there.. Hands down