Rear end Grinding sound?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by sgoyal, May 17, 2016.

1. sgoyal

sgoyal Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I hear grinding sound once in while and it's not happening all the time. There's no pattern either so it's kinda hard to diagnosis. Do I need to add additional Additive/friction modifier (of course, I'll take to the dealer but just trying to get input if others had similar issue)

1) I already put rivet in the wheel liner so It can't be that.
    2) I made sure that AL DS has enough space (of course, we used Hammer to make extra room)

2. usmc341

usmc341 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Can you be more specific with the sound? When does it occur? The rear groan is just that..a dull sound while turning at low speeds. I've had it on all my LSD vehicles and have come to ignore it. Grinding is another issue and doesn't sound good.

Last edited: May 17, 2016
  3. sgoyal

sgoyal Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    There's no pattern of the sound and that's what bothering me. but I'm noticing in certain stop and go situation. May be I should use rubbing instead of grinding.

Let's say I stop the car and push the pedal slowly -- It'd occur in few feet. But then I'm driving and all of sudden it comes for 3 seconds and go away.

May be I should test in all modes including Eco lol

4. Red Harley

Red Harley Silver Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member HCC National Secretary

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Ours turned out to be a plastic piece inside the rear wheel well. Only happened once and we bent it out of the way. Hope yours is as simple to fix!

• Like Like x 1
  5. usmc341

usmc341 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yea rubbing is more descriptive of the rear end groan but it only occurs while turning in a tight radius, never going straight.

6. sgoyal

sgoyal Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I've heard going straight too.

7. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I get the dull sound when turning at low speed.

8. usmc341

usmc341 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Welcome to the rear end groan club. Annoying but don't sweat it... It's not doing any damage

9. Red Harley

Red Harley Silver Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member HCC National Secretary

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Like I said ours made that sound it was the guards behind the rear wheel. Only made the sound some times.

10. sgoyal

sgoyal Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have already modified my front wheel liners and used rivet for the back side to eliminate that issue. The hard part is to capture that in video and show here. I might call the dealer and take SRT tech on ride.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. sgoyal

sgoyal Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Took the car to drop kiddos at school since there's few up-down road and turn.

Here's the 1 pattern I found (No noise over 60+)

1) Noise might come stop and go (few seconds)
    2) Noise comes for sure when I'm going uphill but for 2-3 seconds and gone.

Can Heat Shield between the DS and Exhaust cause that issue. I do see a space but I'm guessing that something happens when I go uphill. lol

12. Rhino

Rhino Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hello sgoyal.
    I have had a similar issue with my Challenger (2015 manual transmission, 7200 miles). I first noticed it at slow speeds and very infrequently. The scratchy grinding sound seemed to come directly under the gear shifter and only while in 1st or 2nd gear. It would last a second or two and then disappear. No rhyme or discernible reason! Of late, the issue has become more prominent and has expanded it's bad self to 3rd gear as well. I took it to my trustworthy auto mechanic just to give me his opinion. He thought that it may be the drive line or perhaps the rear differential but he couldn't say for sure and didn't want to negate the warranty by touching the car. He aligned me with a qualified Dodge SRT technician and, wouldn't you know it, on our test drive the Jazz Blue Bomber was as quiet as a mouse; it was like she just wanted to keep this our little secret. Frustrating! I was at my wit's end, so I just gave the tech my car and asked if he could test it on his own when he found the time. Later that day, I received a call from the dealership that my car was ready. When I arrived, about 30 minutes prior to closing, the technician had left but the service advisor claimed that they pinpointed the issue and ordered the replacement parts, due to arrive in a couple of weeks. The service advisor danced his way around a further clarification (I don't think he had a clear grasp of the issue, understandably.) and just read the service intake notes that I gave him earlier in the day. "Hold tight," he claimed, "the parts should arrive in a couple weeks." It has since been 12 working days and the parts (to what, I am still uncertain) have yet to arrive. (The technician was good but I can not seem to get in touch with him for further explanation.) So, I have turned my car into a garage queen for the past three weeks. Waiting in limbo without a mile driven. I will update further when I get a proper work order fix.
    Cheers, Rhino

13. sgoyal

sgoyal Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Rhino,

I was to figure out the issue myself. My AL DS was rubbing Heat Shield. I removed that out and the noise gone.

14. Rhino

Rhino Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    AL DS = Axel Load Distribution System?

15. sgoyal

sgoyal Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Sorry, aluminum drive shaft