Rear Sway Bar on Hellcat

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by SublimeHellcat, Jan 15, 2016.

1. SublimeHellcat

SublimeHellcat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Does anyone know if the rear sway bar on the 2015 Challenger HC is solid or hollow? Speedlogix told me it was hollow when I ordered the rear suspension kit from them including the whiteline rear sway bar. According to my installer the diameter of the whiteline is thinner than the factory. My installer called Whiteline directly and they told them they have not built or tested a rear sway bar for the HC! What gives? There next call is to speedlogix. Hopefully I wasn't sold parts that aren't specifically for the HC....

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Speedlogix Sales

Speedlogix Sales Gold Member Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    We will be more than happy to talk to you about this. You can give us a call toll free at (888-SPD-LOGX) ask for Chris. We do close at 6pm today, but we will be here tomorrow from 10am - 2pm.

- Alexis

3. ReoTom

ReoTom Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Why are you changing the rear sway bar? Are you getting body roll... that thing in track mode sits like a steel anchor.. no sway at all... at least in mine...o_O

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. BULL

BULL ________173.7mph_______ ___2016 Colorado Mile___ Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

Too complicated to answer here???

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. HCone

HCone Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    rear swaybar seems more than adequate

6. TrackDay

TrackDay Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The Hellcat has a solid rear and front bar. The Whiteline bars are solid too but they are smaller in diameter than your stock bars. The question here is whether the Whiteline bars on the full stiff holes are still stiffer than the stock HC bars. I highly doubt it.

I still have a set of Whiteline bars in the basement left over from my Scat Pack. I need to take some measurements and calc out the expected roll stiffness.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Texhellcat

Texhellcat Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You need a strong rear bar to improve traction at launch. The car lifts, even if you can't feel it, at launch on the driver side. When the weight comes off the drivers side then you are dependent on the passenger side for most of the traction. The sway bar helps keep both tires with same traction.

• Useful Useful x 2
  8. goingsolo2

goingsolo2 Beast will be back bigger and better than ever! Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Every time I have asked different people whether or not to change the sway bars, especially the rear, I was told no. The factory sway bar should be more than enough…I think the "weaknesses" may be in the other parts of the suspension, such as the end links, trailing arms, etc.

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. Texhellcat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    For drag racing, if you are getting most wear on the drivers side rear tire then probably need a stiffer bar. The Hellcat may be stiff enough but I'm just using that as one example of how to determine if stiffer is needed.

10. goingsolo2

goingsolo2 Beast will be back bigger and better than ever! Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Totally understood…I wonder how much upgrading the trailing arms would help. I upgraded mine to billet ones and the back ends definitely stays down more. I haven't tested this at the track, but I have many times on hard launches on the street.

11. Texhellcat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Can't answer that one for sure but if you are having wheel hop then harder, usually polyurethane, bushings will help with horizontal damping. Might need stiffer shocks, etc. for the vertical.

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. TrackDay

TrackDay Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The thumbnail below shows the sway bar dimensions I've amassed over the past year or so while looking around.

For the Hellcat, I was considering trying a hollow front bar like the Hotchkis primarily to reduce some front roll stiffness and take at least 5 lbs. off the weight of the front of the car, but I haven't decided for sure yet. I'll give it a few times at the track this year before I make any changes I think. I loved the Whitelines on my Scat Pack last year and the Hellcat is at least 200 lbs. heavier with a lot of that extra weight right over the front.

The adjustable sway bars are great for fine tuning, but the diameter of the bar is the big player here. The stiffness of the bar is related to the 4th power of the diameter. Note the lever arm is related to the power of 2.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. SublimeHellcat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It would be helpful for all the HC owners on the forum to get the answer here. My installer did call you. Anything you end up telling me on the phone I will be updating the HC.org members on this site.

So with that said what is the deal? Is the whiteline product made for the HC? Is it better than the factory sway bar? If so, why? I have been impressed with the parts you have sold me so far, but this sway bar issue is not sitting right with me!

14. SublimeHellcat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Trackday, I am a simple man. Where did you net out? WL solid rear sway bar or did you stay factory? Thanks

15. TrackDay

TrackDay Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I've only had my Hellcat since early December. I haven't tracked it yet. I don't plan on changing sway bars on the car yet. If I need any additional roll stiffness I'll likely switch to poly swaybar bushings first. There are no stiffer sway bars for either front or rear made yet that I am aware of.

• Useful Useful x 1