Recall: Uconnect Computer Hack

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by GALTCAT, Jul 25, 2015.

1. GALTCAT

GALTCAT Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Dealer checked my HC for the update and it was already good. However, the interesting fact they told me was that the computer vulnerability was found by a company Hired by Dodge to attempt to hack Uconnect and see if it was possible. After a year they finally were able to hack into Uconnect. Probably, very, very unlikely for a hacker pro could hack into your Uconnect computer. The fuss and fear-mongering is just a bunch of bullshit. Much storm and fury signifying nothing.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Mopar_Convert

Mopar_Convert Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The dealer story is BS, there is a youtube video of some guys taking over a jeep - they were not hired by dodge. You think if Dodge hired them to do this research, and they found an issue, it would be in the media?

• Like Like x 1
  3. GALTCAT

GALTCAT Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I am going to strongly disagree with you M_C. I trust the people at the Dealership, who told me the story, a Hell of a Lot more than I do the Media.
    1. The media is going for the sensational story, not the dull story of Dodge hiring hackers to find vulnerabilities.
    2. The dumbass Media does not take the time to find t6he truth of a story
    3. Dodge may be in a pickle. They can't disclose a covert effort on their part, and complaining to the media and give the story further legs.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Immo

Immo Moparpalooza

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    As a 20 year IT pro and having several friends who are Ethical Hackers I strongly strongly disagree with the dealership as well.

When did a service manager become an Internet security expert?

FCA did not hire these guys. The guys approached FCA with the vulnerability. The media has added drama, yes. But the risk is real. Unlikely, but why would you risk it? You need to update your radio.

It took me less than 30 mins to download the firmware update and then update my radio. 30 mins is worth it IMHO.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Immo

Immo Moparpalooza

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    This guy has been a close friend for 10+ years. Why not drop him a line if you don't believe me. Again I trust a Ethical Hacker more than a dealership when it comes to security. I've seen this guy compromise my iPhone with out touching it in minutes before my eyes.

About Me Dr. Chaos

• Like Like x 1
  6. GALTCAT

GALTCAT Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have no reason not to believe the dealership, but you can bet I will be questioning them diligently about iy again. The service manager did not claim to be an internet security expert, but was repeating what she had been told by Dodge technicians. Did they lie to her? I don't know.

7. Immo

Immo Moparpalooza

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    All I'm saying is it took 30 mins for me to do it on my own. The dealership in my town couldn't get me in for a week. I have a friend who is a service manager at a dealership who could have done it same day but he is an hour drive each way.

I install security patches on my laptop and smart phone religiously. You can be darn sure I am doing one on my car.

8. gts_2001

gts_2001 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Sorry, but I have to disagree with you and support Immo's statement and logical reasoning behind it. I have 3 vehicles affected by this (2015 Hellcat, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee and 2014 RAM Laramie) and I have performed the firmware flash on all of them. Only a fool would ignore this potential vulnerability. Have you checked your VIN personally to see if your car is affected or just relied on your dealer's opinion? If not, you may wish to reconsider and do so. One doesn't have to read posts on the Hellcat.org forum for very long to realize that the vast majority of Hellcat owners are pretty anal about their cars! I'm willing to bet that at least 60 - 75% of owners on this forum have already checked, done the download and performed the re-flash. Maybe this thread should evolve into a poll about how many have already done the re-flash and when they did it? Just sayin'. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  9. GALTCAT

GALTCAT Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yes, I checked my VIN personally to see if it was affected, and yes It show it was affected. I probably could have downloaded and re-flashed, but I was insistent that the Dodge Dealer do it. When the dealer checked it using the wireless set-up they use, it showed the S/W on my HC is up-to-date. Of course my HC is a late bloomer, being it was built in mid-July.
    I like your idea of a poll.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Immo

Immo Moparpalooza

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    If your radio is running 15.17.5 or newer then it is up to date.

• Like Like x 1
  11. GALTCAT

GALTCAT Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    How do I determine if I'm running 15.17.5?

12. gts_2001

gts_2001 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Just go to the "Settings" portion of your radio (the download site has instructions for this as well) and scroll to the bottom under "version number" and it will give you the information you need. You can also cross check for recalls on the U-Connect dashboard (if you haven't set this up, you may wish to do so) to verify whether or not your car is affected. The re-flash is "eazypeazy" and will save you time from going to the dealership (who already threw you at least one curve ball). Just download the instructions and the file (skip using their download utility) get a 4 GB or more USB drive (you'll probably use it again in the future for additional updates) and do it yourself in 30 min or less. Good luck!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1