Received a "vehicle phone requires service" warning

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Electronics' started by fifty, May 4, 2017.

1. fltru103

fltru103 VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It fixed my problem. The OP states he only got over the air updates, which didn't fix anything.
    Now I am not saying the replacement of the radio module will fix your problem. Of course other problems could exist, like an antenna issue.
    Document the problem, take pictures and prove you have the issue.
    It will get fixed.

2. fifty

fifty Active Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    I'll keep plugging away!

3. fifty

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    They want the car back for a few DAYS to run a series of tests on the radio according to Chrysler Technical...

So I'm dropping it off this afternoon.

At least I'm supposed to be gone for the rest of the week and won't be too inconvenienced with out the car.

I'll update if they find a solution, and what it is.

Edit: Chrysler wants them to download some new software to analyze the system. As well as do a couple hard resets.

I talked to him about the folks I've found on the google ase garage repair manual and assorted forums (read:sarcasm).
    We talked about how the radio swap isn't fixing things. Nor is a mirror swap. (I realized my mirror buttons were not illuminated at all, they are supposed to be red or green I guess)

One person talked about the actual wire harness from the antannae down having shorts in it at around 3 different spots. (I can't remember where) but the the obvious one was in the shark fin housing. The solder was all trash and not actually holding the connection.

Anyways. I'll find out hopefully before the 20th.

If anyone has any info please post up!

Last edited: May 8, 2017
  4. fifty

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Just got a call today. Apparently what ever stereo/head unit testing and scanning they did found nothing.

They called to tell me they are going to take the headliner down to chase the wire harness from the antennae.

I am hesitant about this as things rarely go back together well. I am not looking forward to any possible squeaks etc from missed or broken clips.

I told them to contact me before they open up the dash to chase the wire harness that way. I looked into it and it would be a dash pull...

I think I will draw the line at that. I will inquire what my options are.

5. fifty

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Still no word.... :(

6. fifty

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    well, still not fixed. Now its time to throw a new radio at it. So they have asked me to come pick the car up while it still throws error codes, and wait for the unspecified time for them to receive a new radio.

My wife told me she wont drive the car if it still throws the error screen every time she touches a button on the head unit and if the 911 feature doesn't work. Well ok...
    I actually really agree with her.
    Its really annoying having that screen pop up when you try to adjust the radio, or A/C and we are paying for the safety features of the 911 system should there be an incident etc...

Not very happy about this.

7. Mike02z

Mike02z SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I can understand your frustration. Hopefully a new HU fixes it. I have not read all 3 pages but have they checked the shark fin antenna and it's connection? Just a thought. It should only take 7-10 days to get the new radio as long as it is not on back order.

We had our Pitch Black HC strand me yesterday. Just driving along and all of a sudden, major banging from the bell housing. Looks like it blew the pilot bearing as it makes the banging even when the trans is in neutral but the clutch is engaged. The worst part is the dealer told me it will be end of next week before they can even look at it. Also having rear gear whine so having them address that too.

Hang in there and keep an eye on how many days in total that it is in the shop. There will come a point where if they can't find it, it's likely a lemon.

8. fifty

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Yeah. I guess they spent the first week doing electronic testing and updates, then the first half of this week checking the antennae and wiring.

I just don't want the car sitting in my driveway if I'm not going to drive it.

And as long as I have to fight with an error code and the issues with it, I'm not nor will my wife drive the car.

Lemon law says 30 total days or 4 reasonable attempts. We are at 14 days now in under 710 miles.
    Car came with 60 or 80 miles on the clock I think.

9. fifty

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    I just spoke with the service advisor, who is very nice.
    Last week, they checked the stock head unit/computer and scanned it and Sky sent them new software to scan it. All came back with zero issues. Then sometime between late last week and yesterday they pulled the headliner down and checked the antennae and the wire harness. No issues there.
    She says that they pulled a radio out of a new car (I am not sure they have any 16's on their lot and the 17's are different) and she said they had no problems with the new radio... (I have my suspicions on this):
    1- did they actually have a 16 on the lot that they took apart to switch out the radio (can they take apart a car like that and not inform the new owner?)
    2-I doubt they drove the car around. Sometimes the error code comes straight away, sometimes it takes a mile or two. But when its on its on.
    3- If the original stereo showed no errors with all the scanning, how is another radio going to not have issues.

They want me to pick the car up because its going to be a couple weeks before the new radio/computer is in, and they don't have the space to store the car.
    So my wife is pissed and said she wont drive it if the safety features are not working and she has to navigate this error code every 30 seconds. I get that, neither do I.

I told the service advisor that if I pick the car up its just going to sit in the driveway unmoved. She said ok, and reiterated they don't have space for it at the dealership.

wife told me to call usaa and have them tow it home. she wasn't driving it and didn't want me driving it either.

Awesome...another couple weeks with out the car...making payments...crossing fingers...into the great unknown. At least when it wasn't in the driveway the wife wasn't reminded about how pissed she is.

10. Go Goody

Go Goody SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Leave it at dealer if safety is a concern....bs they cannot get you a radio the next day....

11. Go Goody

Go Goody SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Have you opened a case at SRT?

12. mrcaio

mrcaio Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    Once you acknowledge the error does it keep coming back as you're driving? That's different. Mine would give the error once I hit OK (or whatever the acknowledge button was) it was gone until the car was restarted. Not sure where the safety issue is unless your car runs different when you get the error. Does the car stall or buck or run poorly after the message comes up? If it does you have a serious short somewhere and they need to address that. I don't see the 911 button not working making the vehicle unsafe. For me it's a feature and one I haven't had in any of my previous vehicles. Not sure I'd use that button over my cell phone in an emergency anyway. I drove the car for months with no issues until a friend scanned the CAN bus and figured it out. I let it go for so long because I didn't want to keep leaving it at the dealer and, other than the message popping up, it didn't affect my day. I have my issue in another thread, but for me replacing the head unit didn't help because it was the antenna connection for the cellular on mine.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll get it straightened out.

13. fifty

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    On mine the error code keeps coming back. It comes at random and ifnyou change apps.

As for a safety issue, this computer controls the electronic steering. If the sound system level changes with the code, then what else does it effect?
    As for the 911 system, it's a needed thing for me. I was a cop and after the put me back together, I have some metal in me including some stents and a lot of blood thinners.
    If I get into a car crash I may not have time to wait for chp to go through their prompts and finally speak to someone, and then deal with the tracking of a cell phone (I was a dispatch supervisor for a minute, I know how that works).
    The onstar on my gmc and the 911 system on the dodge is a necessary system for me. It will continue sending my location and allow me to get help with out doing much or being awake...or even pressing the button.
    To me it's a huge safety issue.

14. PerfPages

PerfPages Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    These set of screens is telling me you have a update in process. This could take awhile.

15. fifty

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Well, I had to tow my own car home today because they said they cant keep it there waiting for parts. I'm really pissed because as I'm doing the one man load up of the car, with a cane, their employees were watching, walking around driving by, and offered no assistance.
    UNTIL I realized there are no tie down locations on the front or rear of the car. When I told the service advisor that I couldn't tak the car home...all of a sudden two guys come running out to get the car tied down at any cost. (I used the rear lower arm at the inside, with an axle strap) and then the dodge guys jacked the car up on the trailer and wrapped a strap somewhere on the front subframe. I made sure to take a photo of them doing it in case there is damage.

I'm really ******* pissed right now.

I called a lemon law attorney and he said they want the car gone so it doesn't click days away towards the lemon law cut off time...and that I cant force them to keep the car...and the days don't click away if I have possession of the car.

I am just pissed that this went from a safety inconvenience to a game.... and then they just sat there and watched.

SRT called me this morning and the guy said " oh this is a common new problem. The car needs to download updates, so what you need to do is....." at which point I stopped him and corrected him as to which error screen was up. At which time he just said, "oh yeah, well they are going to have to fix that..."
    No shit....Thanks.