Red Alcantara protection/cleaning

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Detailing' started by RoyG, Jan 3, 2015.

1. RoyG

RoyG Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I realize no one has had their car all that long (and those who have their car are probably being very dirt-averse), but I plan (hope) to get a Charger with the red Alcantara seat inserts. I am concerned about their appearance after a while. Even with good caution (no food or drink etc...), it seems like daily wear and un-noticed butt-dirt might end up blackening the material after a while.

Anyone with experience with this material? Did anyone apply any protective treatment (e.g. dealer applied treatment or hose-treament of something like ScotchGuard)? I read around the internet and these ideas seem to be generally rejected by most (thought not all); but there seems to be a ton of experience on this forum so would love to hear what you all think.

I have also seen that there is some manufacturer advice on actual cleaning - though again would love to hear if there is any practical experience here.

Thanks for any advice!

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Smoothgangsta

Smoothgangsta Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I believe the general consensus is to use a micro fibre cloth that is lightly damp with water and dab or wipe the area gently to do general cleaning first, always use the least aggressive method first, but for soiled areas there are specific Alcantara/Suede/Synthetic Suede cleaners to use.

For cleaning and protecting I would use something like Chemical Guys which is well known in many detailing circles, I also use their products on our vehicles -

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Tammie

Tammie SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I had mine protected by dealer and is guaranteed for 6 years from stains and tears. I know I said no drinks, but I put a coffee cup in the side door (I know, I saw the little sign later that said no open containers, just bottles with lids). The coffee splattered on my door, I FREAKED!! I waited till it dried and wiped right off with no issues. I would NOT get red and black without treating it. The red will stain and possibly fade without treatment. I got a good deal, you can probably check around. The dealer works for me because I know the warranty is covered through them.;)

4. TURNERZ

TURNERZ Rocket Science for the Road

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I was looking at the red seats with red seat belts... but hadn't really thought through the wear and tear. My grey inserts (06 SRT8) have taken a beating overtime that the black leather weathered the same use much better.

Thanks for starting this topic.

5. RoyG

RoyG Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks Tammy. I am glad that incident had a happy ending. (No, that was not meant to be pun on your other mishap - not at all!).

The dealer I hope to purchase through has offered (for a cost, or course) something called Perma Plate. Do you know what brand of treatment your baby received? This one offers a 7 year warranty but the company has a few BBB reports for failure to honor, and of course other "experts" all over the internets spouting off about how non-useful it is.

Thanks again!

• Like Like x 1
  6. 1FSTCAT

1FSTCAT The Punisher

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Tinted windows will reduce any potential fading issues and of course the time honored Scotch guarding is always a blessing and super easy to apply....and finally, enjoy it and know that you have a warranty and should you get to the point were you think they are "worn" out...replace them...Katzkin, OEM, aftermarket shop, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  7. RoyG

RoyG Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    This is all great advice Zixxer; thanks! (I was debating the Scotchguard thing as well).

But - yes - my intent is to thoroughly enjoy it! I am one of those who are in-between: use good car-care and cleanliness habits but not to the point that I won't enjoy every minute. I can't afford a large stable like many here have so the Hellcat will be my daily driver. Besides - from what I read - every minute NOT spent in the Hellcat is a minute of life wasted. (OK, not that extreme - but close!).

8. bfusion

bfusion Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    This is exactly why I wanted plain leather, Laguna in this case. If I get Alacantra, I will put the clear plastic on it like grandma's couch.:p

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Tammie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Zurich Shield image.jpg image.jpg

10. Smoothgangsta

Smoothgangsta Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
  11. Tammie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    For the Interior treatment, exterior clay bar treatment and protective coating it was $495.00 and guaranteed for 6 years and I can bring it back anytime within that period and have it redone.:) I felt it wasn't too much more than a really good detail that doesn't carry a 6 year warranty.

12. Hubbs

Hubbs Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Not that you care, but I plan to use the hell outta my Hellcat. I have two little ones that will be riding in car seats in the back. They will have snacks and sippies that will dribble and occasionally spill. The wife and I will also be guilty of eating and drinking in there. We'll be careful of course, but messes are going to happen.

My plan is to Scotchguard all the suede right away. Hopefully that will be enough to prevent stains.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. LelandJim

LelandJim Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My dealer does not offer paint or interior coverage and says Ziebart does. Anyone have experience there ?

14. Rob K

Rob K Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Hey Roy...I know you're close to me. I have a freind who is in the carpet cleaning business. He's the best around and has more knowledge about treating and cleaning carpets and upholstery than any human should! I just reached out to him and he says he's all over it... I'm going to chat with him today or tomorrow. Happy to share any info.

Reading your post got me concerned as well. I have a 2 & 4 year old that WILL absolutely spill a lot. I'm not TOO concerned with stains in the backseat, but this will also be MY daily driver and I'm sure i'll spill something as well. This is my first non-leased car in awhile and will probably end up giving it to my 4 year old when she's 17 so I'd like to keep it nice for the long haul.

15. RoyG

RoyG Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Wow - lucky daughter! The only thing I was going to inherit was my sister's Volare (who remembers that piece of #$*& ? ) - incented me to get a job to buy my Capri.

But - cool - let us know what you hear!

• Like Like x 1