Red key needed for updates???

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat TSB's' started by bhoss, May 19, 2015.

1. bhoss

bhoss Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Is the red key needed to conduct any of the TSB's? Transmission Flash, etc? I was wondering if the black key blocked out the ability for the computer to update. What about Valet mode? Can any of the computer or flash updates be done while in Valet Mode? I get nervous leaving it at the dealer... I know Valet mode can be unlocked by unhooking the battery terminals.. but still....

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Coldheartid

Coldheartid Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I just had my Radiator changed as it was leaking a little, when I took them the car I gave them the black key and had put it in Valet mode. The service advisor had no problems with this and was checking for flash updates so I don't see it as a problem. However when I met the mechanic he said there was no reason to put it in Valet mode because they could just get it out of Valet by removing the battery. My reply was, Why would you need to do that if you are just changing the radiator, vacuuming out the air from the coolant system, then getting it hot to test ? Which I'm sure it will come to temperature in Valet mode. He hem haw'd around, so I said, just let me know when it's done so we can test drive. I got it back with 1 extra mile and they washed it too. Which they will never do again as they got my seat very wet, I showed it to the manager and said they will never wash my car again. The seat was perfectly clean and should not have gotten a drop of water on it.

It's safer to be nervous and watch their every move, Learn all you can about your car and keep them on their heels.

Last edited: May 19, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Paladin06

Paladin06 Have Guns Will Travel Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I always use valet mode at the dealer and no problem with updates. Keep your red key in your pocket.

• Like Like x 1
  4. X-Men Fiend

X-Men Fiend Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hi Pal, I got to check out your car recently. It was in service (I think for a tire?) and I was there and having it to gawk at and admire helped me with the wait; Very sweet ride my friend. Another fellow showed up, he had a Phantom Black automatic Hellcat Challenger, and he had hit a board on the road, and it messed up his front air dam a bit, not just the plastic 'splitter' but the painted area just above it, not super ugly but pretty visible, he took it in stride (I'd have been almost in tears!) and he was getting an estimate for repair.

5. Tammie

Tammie SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    And....again, that is why I don't leave my car and I NEVER have them wash it. My notes in the computer for every Dodge I have owned has said NO WASH. I also check to be sure all my valve stem covers are on because a lot of times they forget to put them back on if a tire is low. I give them the red key, I don't have a clue where I put the black one, but I never leave the car so it doesn't matter. Actually, I am lucky. I trust my Service Manager and the Tech who works on my car...kinda....not enough to leave it though.:)

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I agree, never leave the car,, if I need to,I will take the day off,, and when the day comes for my hellcat to come in for service, the dealers GM will be there with me, and the service manger, as they know who I am, and how crazy ocd I am over my cars...it's not a dart,, it can't be just replaced with another...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Aaron Vogel

Aaron Vogel Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I guess i am weird haha, in the end i understand that its just a car. A badass car yes, but still its just a car. I've left my car at the dealer with red key, tint shop red key, valets in Vegas red key. Never have had any issues. Did it all with my last Challenger to and never an issue. If sh*ts gonna happen, its gonna happen.

8. Lighty

Lighty Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    The techs can chime in but I would be surprised if they cant get it out of Valet with witech.

9. mvaf

mvaf Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Great question! Was wondering that myself. I would want to leave the black key and in Valet mode too so, 2 questions: 1- Can they perform all work with the black key and in Valet mode....it seems so. 2- Would the mechanics feel dissed and not trusted because of this and given this resentment, would it have any effect on that service visit?

10. WNY Cat

WNY Cat SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm taking my Hellcat in for a Cquartz application. The shop is 60 miles from my house and I have to leave it for 3 days.:eek:

11. Aaron Vogel

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Also whats to stop them from just making a red key? That doesn't take very long either. Fact is, if you don't trust the dealer your taking your car to, find another dealer.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. 70Cuda

70Cuda Yep, its got a HEMI

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    left mine overnight for a warranty fix and gave them the Red key, got it next day ( later in the day ) it had no extra miles on it. I was told only one person would drive or move the car and it would be indoors entire time in the back ( Viper Area) Nobody really knew it was there other than the tech and writer/ manager. So yeah I trust the dealer. They got me the car they had promised.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. Aaron Vogel

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have a pretty similar relationship with my dealer, they are hard to find sometimes, but good dealers are out there

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. 70Cuda

70Cuda Yep, its got a HEMI

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    When I took the car in just gave them the red key ( I totally forgot about the black key ) Put it inside my file with the title and papers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Srt8u

Srt8u Silver Member Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    The one negative thing about these awesome rides is the dodge dealer service unfortunately. I was hopeful a few years ago when they spun off SRT as a brand that maybe SRT owners would get some love and our own dealership/service model that cars of this caliber deserve. Sadly you get the same techs that work on a 1995 neon working on our rides and most treat them the same way unfortunately. Our cars will never see the dealer for anything unless there is a saftey recall of some sort. Have zero trust in dealer techs at this level, which is sad considering the price we pay for these cars.