Refuse to drive hellcat in rain

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Racist Cat, Jun 22, 2016.

1. Racist Cat

Racist Cat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i have yet to drive my hellcat in the rain. It's just one thing I want to do for me. I've bought many new trucks over the last 4 yrs. every one of them had to go from the show room floor, to an upfitter to get $5-$15k worth of upgrades, and then straight into the oilfield. They went and made me money, but, didn't get a chance to relish in the newness. Within hours of delivery, it was mudholes and cattle guards.

My hellcat though, I want to keep it clean. I have 3,700 miles now, drive it as much as I want, and have never been in a rain storm. It's just one thing that makes this car special for me. Everything else I've ever had has been used, or had to work. I've had 700hp vehicles before, but this one is clean and new.

That being said, I was visiting some family members that had come from out of town. I drove 2.5hrs south (well, actually 1hr and 30minites, but it was supposed to take 2.5hrs), and was having a good time.

Things were wrapping up, and I had the option to just chill with everybody or go, and that's when I heard a huge thunder crack, and the trees started blowing.

I said my goodbyes as quickly as possible without being rude, and hit the road. I drove like a bat out of hell trying to beat this storm. It landed some drops on me, but the road never got wet.

Here's a screen shot I took just as I got on the highway doing 90mph trying to get out from under this storm... I made it out without getting the under carriage wet...

image.png

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. BULL

BULL ________173.7mph_______ ___2016 Colorado Mile___ Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    In short...

Ditto...

; )

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. pinetreecat

pinetreecat Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I appreciate your choice. It's a great machine and you want the new to last.

I have been on several thousand plus mile roadtrips : numerous downpours. The rain sensing wipers are great. I have the P Zeros and they do quite well on a wet road but I reduce my speed in case of hydroplaning on flooded ruts.

Car still looks like new, 9200 mi so far. 20160503_201936.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Hellcat15

Hellcat15 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    There are rain sensing wipers? I didn't even know.
    lol

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
  5. Markp

Markp Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Club Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I will never drive this car in the rain. I check the weather before I take it for a drive. I love her too much.

• Agree Agree x 7
  6. Aarcuda

Aarcuda Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    im the same way. I did get caught the other day but not too bad. With the Nittos on (with 7500 miles on them and almost bald) it was scarey. But I drove normal and it was ok. tense as hell but ok

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Markp

Markp Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Club Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hey Aarcuda, Is you 70 AAR matching numbers? Just read your signature guess not. I hope it wasn't.

8. april77

april77 Naughty SheDevil Mod Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Um, okay. I do not understand the aversion to rain, but okay. The car is not going to melt if it gets wet, but to each their own.

April

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. JeffL

JeffL VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i drive mine in the snow. it's a car. all is good. well it's a little scary in the snow.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Paladin06

Paladin06 Have Guns Will Travel Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have a 500 miles rule. If rain is within 500 miles, the garage door stays closed. :)

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. Toolman_42

Toolman_42 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Daily Driver...16,772 miles and counting...sun, rain, snow...it was meant to be driven!

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 2
  12. pinetreecat

pinetreecat Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Oh yeah and the headlights auto dim also if you choose to drive it after dark, but that may be too much for some people.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Aarcuda

Aarcuda Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    yes it is but I still got the original motor stashed away. I didnt mod the stock 340 TA block. I used a 70 340 block instead! I still have the factory 3.91 pumpkin too. So its an easy swap. the carbs were already fubar'd prior to me getting the car in 1986 so my mods on them dont matter. plus it drives better.

The heads that were on it were TA heads but the prior own fuked them up by putting straight rocker arms on it and had the pushrod holes redrilled in the regular spot to make them work (what an idiot). I got another set of TA heads that were ported and polished and milled by the master Bob Mullen who designed them for mopar (he owned a head shop in southern LA back in the 80's and he worked magic into those heads) 100_5644.JPG 100_5718.JPG 100_5913.JPG 100_5943.JPG 100_5951.JPG 100_5962.JPG Head bowl drivers side w valves.jpg

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
    • Like Like x 5
  14. Racist Cat

Racist Cat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Just want to keep the under side clean.

I've had enough vehicles with oil leaks, and running down pipes only on my diesels, that just trying to crawl under the truck resulted in instant black hands. I had to drive a truck that was leaking a gallon of oil every 300 miles. I put 5,000miles on it before I could afford the parts for the repair. Just want to keep it nice.

I want to put this car up on the lift and still be able to touch it without having to instantly have to wash my hands or worry what I touch next.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. Steven_sbs

Steven_sbs Browncoats Unite Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Within 3 hours of owning the car:
    DSCN1069.jpg

This past winter:
    DSCN1157.jpg

• Winner Winner x 12
    • Like Like x 2