Remote catch can installed, what do you think?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by CanHP, May 16, 2016.

1. CanHP

CanHP Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    OK,
    So this Hellcat does not have a lot of room under the hood. For my 392 Shaker I was able to fabricate a mount and it worked, but for this Cat, no room.....

So I had an extra Catch Can from my ZL1. Its an Apex Motorsports can, very good quality and big so it works well.

I was thinking if I could remote mount the can the air would cool and condense better. Here are a few pics. Seems to be working great. I have to think of a better way to mount this thing, but its working just fine like this.

Attached Files:

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. usmc341

usmc341 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Nice job and thinking outside the box. Love the AN fittings. The thing I'm not too crazy about is look of those long hoses running under the hood. Not sure a few degrees in temp is worth the remote mount. Whatever works for you I'm glad someone is trying new things.

Last edited: May 16, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
  3. MABBRYFL30

MABBRYFL30 NYS President Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Rely on good sound advice from usmc. He is and knows what's up. Looks good brother

• Like Like x 1
  4. MABBRYFL30

MABBRYFL30 NYS President Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Check out usmc341. Other posts on this. He has done his homework

• Like Like x 1
  5. CanHP

CanHP Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'll do that. I'm going to play with the hoses so I don't get the washing machine look. I'm thinking I can run them between the fuse box.

The reason I used this one is I sold my ZL1 and took it off it. Plus I had extra braided hose and AN fittings so I could make it work. After driving for about an hour the can was warm, but not hot. On my 392 when I mounted it to close to the engine it was really hot. So we will see how this one goes. Its a good size and built really well, it was designed for the forced induction motor of the ZL1 so it will suit the Cat fine. Originally it was just going to be temporary until I could get a JLT, Speedlogix, etc. but now I'm thinking I'll probably just keep it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Hayabusa

Hayabusa Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Do you know what size those AN fittings are?

I have a Bob's Catch can I didn't install on a 2014 GT500. Wondering if the fittings would work on my Hellcat. If the Chevy worked...hoping.
    I have the new can and Russel braided hoses with the AN fittings. Bob can sell me the mount by itself. Would save some nice $$$ if it fit.

• Like Like x 1
  7. CanHP

CanHP Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I had an elite engineering oil separator on my 14 GT500. Those plastic clips that connect to the GT500 valve cover and the blower, well....... Those are the ones I used for the Hellcat. They are the same size. If you take the fittings off the can they will fit the Cat. What I did was buy the PCV pipe for the GT500 when I rigged it up. Sold my GT500 and saved the fittings. I took the two fittings off the pipe and used the angled one on the Cat valve cover and the straight one on the Cat lower blower intake. Then I used the rubber elbows from the 392 Hemi PCV tube and put them over the GT500 fittings. The AN fittings are size -8 which is basically 1/2 inch.

So:
    1. Get GT500 PCV hose, its like 10 bucks from ford. Pull off plastic connectors and discard hose
    2. Get 392 Hemi PCV hose, again like 10 bucks. Pull off rubber elbows and save plastic hose, you can cut it to get the angels you need.
    3. Put GT500 angled plastic connector on rocker cover
    4. Put GT500 straight connector on blower intake
    5. Put straight 392 rubber fitting onto #3
    6. Put angled 392 rubber fitting onto #4
    7. Cut some of the leftover plastic tubing from the 392 Hemi PCV hose and push into the rubber fittings.
    8. Run 1/2" ID hose to connect your catch can to the plastic fittings. The 1/2" hose will push over the plastic from the 392 PCV hose that you cut.

I was thinking of getting a catch can that was made for the Hellcat, but I think this one will work better as it will run cooler, plus its a lot bigger so more room for condensation, and its really well built with its chambers.

If you want any closer pics just let me know.

Last edited: May 16, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  8. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Looks good...glad to see you make it work.

9. Hayabusa

Hayabusa Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thank you, CanHP!!! Appreciate the knowledge sharing and detailed reply. Will save a lot of experimentation time and frustration.

I left the Passenger catch can installed on the GT500 when I sold it. Never installed the drivers side so it is a brand new set up. Will order the mounting bracket from Bob's and use the really nice AN fittings, black braided hoses, and can I already paid for.