Remote tuning?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Performance' started by Racist Cat, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Racist Cat

Racist Cat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'd like to do a tune. Nothing too crazy and maybe just some back and forth fine tuning with the tuner.

In the diesel world (where I'm familiar) we use EFI and autocals. The tuner ships the autocal, and can send updates and tune revisions, or entire new tunes through email.

Is there an option like that with current offerings?

I'd like optimized tuning, higher rev limiter, and a lot more gurgle, popping, and rumble on decel.

2. rayzazoo

rayzazoo DRIVESRT.COM Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
  3. Senderofan

Senderofan Track in, Apex, Track out and Repeat! Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Couldn't agree more with what Ray recommended. That's the route I'm going as well. IMHO you'll end up with a much better / safer tune versus a generic canned tune. Seems like our turbo diesels aren't as sensitive in terms of environmentals and fuel......so canned tunes seem to work. At least they've worked for me since 2002.

Best of luck.....enjoy every minute you can in your Cat

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. rayzazoo

rayzazoo DRIVESRT.COM Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Regarding more rumble on decel, replace the mid-mufflers with 3" pipe in the exhaust; a $70-120 chop-up at your local exhaust shop.

Here is a good comparison of before and after the mid-muffler delete.

And an image of the location on the exhaust.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Racist Cat

Racist Cat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Already have the mud deletes. :)

I didn't realize hhp could email tunes. Thought it was only shop tune.
    Really didn't do much research on it.

Not many people use can tunes on '06+ diesels anymore. They may not be DynoTune custom, but they are not canned.

I don't mind somewhere near a canned tune, at least I want a glitch free safe tune. Just want more feed back on decel.

I know it's kind of pointless, but, I don't really want more power, and this car only goes out on joy rides, rarely on a required trip.

6. Racist Cat

Racist Cat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thank you for the link.

I've never liked Diablosport. In the diesel world they only blow up turbos and injectors, and have destroyed countless on countless engines. But, everyone who comes from a gasoline vehicle to a diesel says they are the best out there for gasoline.

Guess I'll save a few pennies and get this.
    I'm looking at a pulley change in the future as well. (Told myself I was gonna leave this car stock...)

7. Top Cat

Top Cat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Fastest Cat/Record Holder HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    What you get from HHP is proven tunes,tested on the street and track and not just a one hit wonder tune.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Senderofan

Senderofan Track in, Apex, Track out and Repeat! Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

With the remote tuning.....you'll have a set of driving parameters for when you capture the datalog. You send that log off to the tuner and they will make adjustments to the base tune you were given initially. If nothing else ( Not wanting any more power )......it will help eliminate the lean spots that the OEM tune has in order to meet emissions standards.

This is different than getting an H&S tune in their Minimaxx or BlackMaxx and perhaps adding the SPE Hot Tune on top of that. This is truly a custom tune for your car.....it's really pretty cool what we can do now days.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Senderofan

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If you are remotely thinking of adding a different pulley down the road....go the HHP route. The can do remote tuning changes as you install your upgrades....for a fee of course....but they've seen and done probably more change combinations to our package than we could list.....and tuned them all.

10. StellasHC

StellasHC Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If at all possible, travel to HHP and do an actual dyno tune, so your tune is finalized that day. I wouldn't recommend doing the email route... Ill leave it at that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Racist Cat

Racist Cat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm in south Texas. About 45 miles south of San Antonio. I rarely ever even drive to San Antonio because I don't want to put the miles on the car.

If hp was my goal, I'd take it in. But, a very conservative tune is ok with me. I don't like to ride the edge.

Just want some more rpm, and more talk back on decel.

12. StellasHC

StellasHC Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

My comment had nothing to do with the QUALITY of an HHP email tune..

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. TallCool1

TallCool1 Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Nat'l Hellcat Tech Advisor HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hoping I can do this remote at Dings in Vancouver WA, on their dyno, Terry that end Josh the other. I know they've worked together often Ding's is listed on the HHP site. Terry knows Mopar well.

Anyway I want to purchase the trinity sooner to baseline on track and street stock just capture data. Anyone know how many pids you can record at once and sample recording rates?

14. MoparProud

MoparProud Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Merrick!? Hell I remember you from the diesel forums, think you had a 24v dually back around '07/'08 timeframe? It may have had compounds but don't recall exactly.

Good to see you with a 'cat man.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Racist Cat

Racist Cat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Depends when you knew me. Was real heavy on the diesel scene from '00 to '03. Was one of the higher hp trucks in '01-'02, but then big money came along and the common rail. No longer was a 550hp vp44 truck even mentionable. Common rails were doing that with a cold air intake and tune. I had $30k wrapped up in mine.

I've been in the diesels since then, but not as much as early on.
    I'm going to restoring that gray flatbed soon.
    All my trucks had compound turbos. :). Was great feeling 60-70lbs of boost at 2,300rpm pulling you back into the seat.

• Like Like x 1