Removal of the passanger headlight insert for more airflow

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Performance' started by Dragons90, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Dragons90

Dragons90 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Does any one have a video or instructions on how to remove?

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. SuperChallenger

SuperChallenger Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    easy stuff...
    1. remove the black plastic fascia trim panels from inside the engine bay, above the radiator.
    2. reach inside the inner headlight housing, its wide open in the back, and with your fingers, all the way to the front inside, you will find 3 small tabs. depress them all at the same time and jiggle. the center headlight cap will pop out. If your hands are too large, may need to grab the wife or kiddo to reach in there like I had to do. lol.
    3. add a pair of these if ya like: D.I.P.S. SCREENS
    :)

3. WNY Cat

WNY Cat SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    When I removed mine, I didn't need to remove the upper fascia trim piece. I just grabbed a ratchet out of my tool box and while holding the ratchet end, I just carefully tapped the cap out with the bottom of the ratchet. Then I installed a D.I.P.S. in both the passenger and drivers side.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I just looked at the DIPS Screen video.
    Curious as to how they claim "improved air flow and distribution" with this in the hole.
    Seems to me, by logic alone, that if you place this thing inside the intake hole on the drivers side that you are reducing the circumference of the hole and therefore actually reducing the amount of air that gets in. Combined with the screen, that it would also reduce the amount of airflow getting in.
    True, this is a great idea for keeping foreign objects like bugs or rocks from flying into the intake, but how exactly does it "improve airflow" when it's decreasing the size of the hole and has aluminum criss-cross screen that would also restrict airflow?

Their website says this below, sounds a bit like the claims AFE was making with their CAI and we all know, after some dyno tests and my personal road testing, that those claims were bogus.
    "The D.I.P.S. VR+ has a 20% longer, non-thermal conducting, high internally polished, fully bonded seamless
    Ram Air tube, which our test show provides higher velocity airflow thru the headlight opening by way of slight forced air compression and with less ambient heat transfer to the incoming cold air!"

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Lighty

Lighty Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Velocity is what they claim not volume. To get the same amount of air it will have to move faster through a smaller hole. All this intake snake oil is a bit of a laugh for me. Dodge spent a lot of $ engineering to make big HP. Do you not think if they could have made more with a $2 fix the would have? This is a supercharged engine with a dedicated intercooling system the velocity air flow and temp are all controlled by the engine irregardless of what intake you use. Once it hits the boost limit the pop off takes over. More and cooler is insignificant but I would be worried if it was less air.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Paladin06

Paladin06 Have Guns Will Travel Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I also removed the passenger side and installed the DIPs but not on the drivers side. I noted when installed on the drivers side the inlet air temperature increased by as much as 10 to 15 degrees.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Lighty

Lighty Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Ouch...my exact fear from the previous post.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yes I was thinking the same, that if someone wanted to remove the passenger side plug and put one of these DIPS things on that opening, that may be beneficial for allowing more cool air into the engine bay and cooling the engine a bit.
    But like I said on my post above, putting one of those things into the intake side is just reducing the circumference of that hole and with the mesh, actually restricting how much air can get in there. I don't really worry to much about an occasional bug or small rock getting into the intake hole either, as it will simply hit the filter anyway, and something like a small rock will just drop to the bottom of the intake housing anyway. There's not enough airflow that a small rock would get "sucked" up through the intake ducting and into the engine anyway. A small, light bug, "maybe" but it will just burn up in a split second anyway.

So I like the idea of the DIPS thing on the passenger side after removing the plug, but without independent testing, their claims of "improved ram air flow and distribution" (or even higher velocity air with better distribution) is nothing more than marketing and sales BS in my book

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Dragons90

Dragons90 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thank you all for the helpful info and food for thought. I am not going to ad thr DIPS things. Want more cooling for the engine bay. These Hemis get hot.
    Again thanks

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. ResumeSpeed

ResumeSpeed Platinum Member Agent 707

Donate to this user:
    Donate money to this user
    Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    For anyone who needs to remove the DRIVER'S SIDE air inlet cover, see attached.

Attached Files:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  11. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Is this a joke?
    Or for 11 days in October 2015, were the plant workers drunk and covered up the driver's side air intake inlet with a cap on the Hellcat's?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. WNY Cat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm guessing that the caps are not installed on the assembly line. The caps were probably installed at some supplier plant where the assembler doesn't even know what type of vehicle the headlight is for.

On the other hand, should the assembly line worker at plant notice? Meh... maybe. As the Challengers go down the line, 10% might be Hellcats and you have to pay close attention to notice. I'm guessing again the each part is barcoded and the assembler relies on the correct part to be supplied. If you ever tried working on an assembly line it's mind numbing work and things like this will be missed.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  13. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    ^^you very well may be correct.
    But since the problem in that TSB was just for an 11 day period in October maybe the "regular" guy was out on vacation and some replacement person was just clueless.
    But I'd think any owner of a Challenger Hellcat would of noticed that immediately too, and said something before they drove off the lot. LOL

14. WNY Cat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I just wanted to respond about the concern of decreased air flow with the D.I.P.S. The theory that placing a thin washer at the bottom of a funnel should reduce flow. I agree, but I also question the importance of the flow is through the headlight? The airbox also has a hole in the bottom so if you take that into consideration, the thin washer seems even less relevent.
    Screenshot_2016-01-17-18-44-50-1.png
    I saw an interview with a SRT engineer and he was discussing the CAI. He was comparing the Charger CAI to the Challenger CAI. There is no headlight intake on the Charger but it makes the same horsepower. Hmm.....how can that be? The engineer claimed that the headlight intake was more of a marketing gimmick and a nod to old school racing. In other words, it looks cool.
    That's why I'm not worried about performance loss due to the D.I.P.S.

If anybody has any information on performance numbers after altering the headlight intake, I would like to see them.:)

• Useful Useful x 1
  15. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    ^^ I've questioned the same because the Charger doesn't have it.
    But I haven't looked at the Charger's intake tract either, since it's different they may make up for not having the hole by using a different intake path that gets equal amount of air into the intake as the Challenger does.
    Or, the Charger may actually get a tiny bit LESS air into the intake and therefore the engine, but it still makes the same 707 hp, since it still gets more than it needs, even if it is 5-10% less than a Challenger Hellcat with the open air intake hole in the headlight.

Here's my thing, air clearly gets into the intake through the hole, there's no denying that, but is it fully necessary to make fully power? Maybe not as much as it gets, since I ordered an AFE CAI when it came out and did multiple acceleration tests with it, and even with the "increased" air flow and more air into the Hellcat engine, it made no difference on a stock motor, EXCEPT when lugging the engine in 8th gear at like 40-50 mph, then it made a tiny improvement in acceleration....but who is trying for better acceleration in 8th gear???

However, I have not tested RESTRICTING air flow into the intake through that hole to see if it reduces acceleration.
    Truthfully, that DIPS screen probably doesn't restrict enough air flow to actually do anything, more than likely because the Hellcat motor gets all the air it needs, and more, to make the 707 hp we get stock. Again, that could also be why the Charger gets the same rating even if it does get slightly less air into the intake.
    The Hellcat doesn't get more power with more air, unless it's tuned or modded.
    My thing is, I don't see a need to put a screen in front of that intake hole in the headlight.