Rev limiter

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by 66stingray, Mar 30, 2016.

1. 66stingray

66stingray Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    1st post, new member.

Recently acquired a Hellcat last week, black, auto, brass monkey wheels. I love this car. Traded in a 1st edition srt8 challenger and sold a 66stingray as my user name suggests to get it. I am at 450 miles currently and have tried to follow the break in conditions the best I can. There have been times, short burst where I went over the speed suggested.

Being past the 300 mile mark, I started using the paddles shifters and going through the entire rev range as suggested in the book. Well, today I had the manual mode working and lets just say I got distracted with, ehm another vehicle and bounced off the rev limiter a couple of times. So anyone can chime in with any potential damage I did? Or is the rev limiter just that to prevent any damage? Were talking 10-15 seconds WOT in gear and I forgot to shift, or I should say more distracted than anything.

How much oil consumption is normal for break in period? i noticed my level did dip a little. Thanks in advance and hope to be here for a while.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mr Bigblock

Mr Bigblock Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    No Damage Don't lose Any Sleep

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. usmc341

usmc341 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Agreed. It's a fail safe set way below grenade rpm. One of the big reasons why you have a 60 or 100k powertrain warranty.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Bananahead

Bananahead Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You will probably need to add a catch can to reverse the damage. Adds 13 HP as well!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Hemi Rocket

Hemi Rocket Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You were bouncing it off the rev limiter for 10 or 15 seconds at WOT...o_O Yikes... What happened... tunes cranked with the theme from Top Gun... and you were Flying In The Danger Zone! :D if any damaged was done you'd already know it by now. I agree as others have said that is the beauty of the rev limiter. These motor will rev well past factory redline without breaking a sweat. ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Racist Cat

Racist Cat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I've done similar. But not for 15 seconds. Maybe 1-1.5 seconds. My rev limiter is real smooth. Not a choppy ignition cut. The 6.2L motor just pulls so hard and sounds so good, feels like there is another 1-2k rpm left. Feels like it is still building power when it's time to shift.

• Like Like x 1
  7. usmc341

usmc341 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Actually it is. Numerous dynos have shown power still rising at 6200. There'd be no problem raising that thing to 6500. Guess Dodge is just playing it safe

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. blaze

blaze ☆★✪ The Watcher ✪★☆ Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    welcome to the forum. i had a 1969 stingray in my life once. miss that classic beast. i have bounced off the limiter when i first got mine. do not sweat it like others have said. it happens. make sure you keep an eye on your oil level during break in.. do not make the rookie mistake i made ;)

9. BIG DAWG

BIG DAWG Hellcat, 1st Florida Cavalry Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC National Exec. Director HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    First, glad to have you in the community; second, you may have just "discovered" a new variation to the recommended break in procedures, and finally, sleep tight, your FCA is awake with full warranty application should you need it...which you will not...not for this, to be sure!!!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mo-par!

Mo-par! Bone Stock Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    10-15 seconds???

I'm not sure how long I've bounced the rev limiter making tire smoke but it sure isn't 10-15 seconds.

Rev limiter works like a champ!

• Like Like x 1
  11. graycat

graycat Automobile Aficionado Extraordinaire Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Like nearly every post this one states..........NO WORRIES!!!! This motors are (in my opinion) "old school" cast iron, push rod V8's built with some of the very best parts known to man and sprinkled with some fairy dust. (One was even blessed by a Buddhist Monk!!! Look up the thread "blessing the hellcat" or something close to that)

In any event, if you check out the parts list for the 6.2 HEMI motor in these cars it will look like a shopping "wish list" for every motor that I wanted to build in High School but couldn't afford. You know, stuff like a forged crank, rods and pistons, beefed up "truck" block, aluminum heads, roller cam and I believe that I saw pictures of one apart and it had head studs instead of bolts, but I could be wrong on this one. Not to mention all of the heat exchangers and the crowning jewel....
    A NICE BIG HUNGRY TWIN SCREW BLOOOOOWER! ;) with fuel injection.................

In other words, don't give it another thought. I'm betting that the guys behind these motors expected the things to get the snot run out of them EVEN BEFORE the break in was complete.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1