Reversing Mid-Muffler Delete...What to consider

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Kaneda, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Kaneda

Kaneda BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hey guys...finally got my exhaust tips right on my Mid Muffler Delete and after driving it around for a week, I have come to the conclusion that it's just too damn loud. I have a 6-speed Manual.

It was fun at first, but this thing will absolutely wake up an entire city block...I live in NYC and a cold start would wake my entire building.

I feel a bit bummed because all of the reviews of doing this were glowing and so many people said it's LOUD, but not TOO LOUD. How is this not TOO LOUD? The car absolutely ROARS like a Nascar at WOT. Fun every once in a while, but gets old real fast. I used to love the dual nature of the car, now it's just overboard all the time.

Anyway, one of the only reasons I did this mod was because people said it's reversible. I kept my stock mid-mufflers. What do I need to consider when reversing this job? I believe the pipe used for the delete was a 3" pipe. However the stock pipe size is 2 3/4, correct? Is it possible to match up the pipes completely? Place I went to I think had 2.5" and 3" pipes. Im a bit worried now that instead of 2 weld points there will be 4 on each side. Would hate to lose some power. Part of me wants to just order a new OEM Exhaust for the piece of mind. But that's like $3,200.

For those on the fence about this mod. Go for a ride in someone's car who has done it. It's intense. Not saying it's bad. But it's not for everyone. And online you're just going to find people glowing about it...nobody uploads youtube videos saying they did it and regret it. My 2 cents.

• Like Like x 2
  2. cjohn7

cjohn7 Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Too loud? No such thing. I love mine. Sounds like it should have from the factory.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Racist Cat

Racist Cat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You'll have 4 weld points most likely.

Another option would be to get online and order a 2-3' section of 2-3/4" pipe.
    That would make sure the pipe doesn't jump up and down in size.

4. Racist Cat

Racist Cat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Only thing I'm on the fence about still is the cold start. Man, it's loud. I like it, but I'm afraid my neighbors don't. In the middle of the day it's fine, but often I'm going to work at 3-4am.... Lol

Rest in peace neighbors....

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. cjohn7

cjohn7 Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Cold start is damn loud. not gonna lie. But the valves close up pretty quick and it goes into idle, I'd say within 10 seconds.

6. Chippy

Chippy Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Actually there was a member here who posted somewhere he did the delete and went back as it was to loud for him as well. I did not post regarding my mid delete but did feel as you and put a smaller Vibrant muffler which was around 1/2 the length of the stock resonators and that got me to where I was comfortable. The cold start is definitely not as loud but still a fair bit more than stock. Wot still better than stock.
    That's the thing with exhaust sound, everyone has a different like or perception and I learned long ago it's a big expense and trial and error excercise. Good luck it's an easy reverse.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Kaneda

Kaneda BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Cold Start is scary...sounds more like a motor boat than a car :) Don't get me wrong, I love the WOT sound every once in a while, but when you delete the muffler, it's all or nothing really. I also think us manual guys get the WOT craziness more than the Auto guys...since we're usually in the lowest gear most of the time. I swear this is MUCH LOUDER than my brother's Scat Pack muffler delete. As some have said, easy fix. But man I'm gonna have lots of weld points. :)

8. gto19

gto19 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I did not like my muffler delete at all .just take it back to a mom and pop muffler shop and they can reverse it .just show the welder your tips and where you want them before hand .very easy...

• Like Like x 1
  9. ArchGE

ArchGE VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    Throw some glass packs on.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Racist Cat

Racist Cat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The factory mid mufflers are glass packs for all intents and purposes.

11. Cruisin1966

Cruisin1966 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Well, now this is sad news. Honestly, even with the mid-delete, I didn't think your car was that loud. Perhaps mine was just made super quiet (even as an M6), because I'm super disappointed in the volume of the exhaust.

12. accely

accely Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Keep in mind unless you've had someone drive your cat while you stand on the side of the road you are missing out how loud it really gets. My friend did the muffler delete on his scat pack and it actually turned me off on doing it for my hellcat. His car is SOOOO loud WOT and the noise that it did increase wasnt deep and throaty but more high pitched and obnoxious (to me). I kept telling him how loud it was but he didnt understand. I finally had to drive his car for him while he watched and was able to see the difference outside of the cabin. In my opinion if outside the car loudness under WOT is 10/10, then inside the cabin while driving is only 6/10. Which is good for the driver at least.
    Anyway I dont think I'll do the delete now just because I dont like how his sounds too high pitched .I've watched alot of hellcat muffler deletes videos and it sounds great but I'm concerned it'll turn out like my friends scat pack.

Maybe it's just due to it being a scat pack and not a supercharged hellcat?

13. Chippy

Chippy Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Like I said it's a personal taste thing for sure. I was very surprised how much the vibrant 1794 being around 1/2 the length toned it down from the full delete but kept that little extra I was looking for.

14. Racist Cat

Racist Cat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The hellcat has a high pitched woman demon scream at full boogie. I would like it to be a tone deeper, but the crisp high pitch scream is what high horsepower sounds like in a "smaller" v-8. Unlike what a 500+ cubic inch motor would sound like at 700hp

The exhaust note is fairly deep anywhere under 3k, but let her rip to 5k, and there will be no denying, it was you at full throttle. It's a sound that can be heard for blocks away.

Cruising, to me, has a deep tone, a mix of classic muscle car, and modern technology.

• Like Like x 1
  15. gavm360

gavm360 Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I agree the muffler delete on the M6 is NASCAR loud - but I don't drive the car often so it's fun - the opposite of stealth mode, I'm sure I'm doomed for a speeding / aggressive driving ticket at some point. I do have to give in and order a Bwoody intake to get my blower whine back.

• Like Like x 1