Revving in neutral?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Mtr, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Mtr

Mtr Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    What are the guidelines for revving the Hellcat motor in neutral? I know when I get my Charger the first thing my friends are going to do is ask me to throw some revs on it in the parking lot. Does the Hellcat have a lower rev limiter set point in neutral? I know a lot of modern ECMs restrict revs in certain situations.

I would assume that it's safe to just gun it for a few seconds, but I'd love to hear from folks that are more knowledgeable.

2. Lighty

Lighty Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I cringe when I see the videos of the no load revving of the engines...2-3000 isn't too bad but pulling 5-6 cant be good. Lots of marine engines limit neutral revs to 2000 via the ecm.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  3. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    In all my years I don't recall revving my motor to impress anybody. I have done this to clean out a warm restart with high duration cam and maybe it goes to 4 grand then back to idle a quick shot if you will.

4. jim schmittinger

jim schmittinger VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Not a good idea, No load revving can damage internals

5. Deputydog

Deputydog Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I agree! Not gonna happen with mine.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Mtr

Mtr Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    This is what I've heard too, but I've never understood precisely why. How exactly can an engine rev under load and be just fine, but without a load, suddenly that's dangerous? What are the mechanisms at play? It's not like the engine no longer oils itself properly. I heard someone claim excessive vibration can happen, but again I'd have to say, how? It's not like there are any harmonic motions that happen without load that are absent under load.

I know it's not unusual at tracks with noise regulations to ask drivers to rev and hold a pretty high RPM, like 5,000 for a few seconds in front of a stationary mic so they can get a sound measurement. Wouldn't racers be objecting that they're destroying their engines? Plus, if revving an engine without load damaged it, then wouldn't test stands never be used for tuning engines?

My own theory is that this advice came about because of the combo of old-school mechanical tachs + lack of rev limiters on older cars -- it was easy to accidentally over-rev (and thus damage) an engine with no load.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Jim Hetrick

Jim Hetrick Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    When I was in High school auito shop another student was replacing the clutch in his 64 chevy 409, he had trans out and no clutch on the flywheel. The teacher kept telling him not to run the motor like that., because he had also droped the exhaust to get the tranny out it had no exhaust and only the flywheel. He kept reving the engine up and sucked a valve, and had to rebuilt the engine as well. The teacher only said "I told you so" was funny for everyone not involved.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Mtr

Mtr Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Wasn't that a pretty clear case of over-revving? Like I previously said, "My own theory is that this advice came about because of the combo of old-school mechanical tachs + lack of rev limiters on older cars -- it was easy to accidentally over-rev (and thus damage) an engine with no load."

9. IEATZL1's

IEATZL1's Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I agree with you 100%...but people are really divided on this. I rev my car, have always revved my cars, and never had a problem until this rocker arm. I still say it occasional quick stabs of the throttle will not hurt. But if you are a big dummy, floor it and leaving it there for any amount of time......

10. Jim Hetrick

Jim Hetrick Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    He found out the hard way