Road Force balanced....pulls to the right.

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Wheels and Tires' started by Driver72, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    So I mounted my wheels and tires the other day, after paying $275 including tax to have the tires mounted on the wheels and then road force balanced.

I put them on my HC myself however.

But upon driving, even going down my street which is 35 mph on a straight section just a few homes down, I noticed my car was pulling a bit to the right. If I let go of the steering wheel I'd drift into the bike lane within a few seconds. It clearly didn't do this with the stock wheels/tires.

So if road force balancing is suppose to be the shizzle, why is this happening? Clearly I need to have them do it again, but if the results are the same, what gives?
    I've put aftermarket wheels and tires on dozens of my cars, and never had an issue like that. And none of the others have I ever "road force balanced" just had them regularly balanced.
    I shouldn't need an alignment on the Cat because of wheels and tires I don't think, but have others had to have an alignment after putting aftermarket wheels and tires on a Hellcat?

2. purnrg

purnrg BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Had similar problem on my 2008 are the wheels hub centric and is the inflation the same on all, did they match the rim high spot to the tire low spot if this is all correct you may have a bad rim, tire or alignment is off.

3. andrec10

andrec10 Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Alignment might be off!

4. Orlandom

Orlandom Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Wow. $275? Do you have a discount tire co. Near you? If the air pressure is where it should be, then it just needs alignment.

5. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

It came with a tiny thin aluminum like ring that had to be placed in the hub center. I've had to use these before, this was the thinnest one I've ever used though, literally thinner than the aluminum on a soda can.
    Tires were all at 35 psi, which is a bit high I know, but I told the guy who was putting Nitrogen in the tires to go a bit higher as I could always let a bit out, which is better than needing to add a few psi, since I don't have Nitrogen at home.
    Not sure what you mean by did they match the rim high spot to the tire low spot?
    I saw they just put the tire on the rims, then took it over to the road force balancer. It spun slowly on the road force balancer with the cylinder pushed against the tire first, then the cylinder backs off, and it spins faster. He had to add some wheel weights on each, but said they were very good and didn't need to add many.

Not sure how the alignment could be perfect on the stock tires and then off on aftermarket ones that are balanced.
    I'm taking the front ones back this week to have them recheck.
    I put my stock front wheels back on and drove the car with stock fronts and aftermarket rears, and it drove straight again.

6. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

No there is no discount tire company close to where I live now closest one is 190 miles away. I got quotes from $250 to $300 at 3 different shops to road force balance my tires and use the Boss, no touch wheel mounting system too.
    I went the the place that was $250 ($275 with tax).

7. purnrg

purnrg BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Every wheel is marked inside with a high spot marker and every tire as well , nothing is manufactured perfectly, a good tire guy should know this when they mount the tire these should be taken into consideration but that is balancing, it sounds like you may have a bad tire with a shifted belt, happens sometimes, or just an alignment

8. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

Cool, I'm gonna call the shop on Monday and talk to the manager about the high spots and low spots of wheels/tires.
    I've literally had a couple dozen aftermarket wheels and tires put on past cars over past 2 decades and never an issue, so this would be a first for me.

9. purnrg

purnrg BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Usually a little circular sticky on the rim and tire

10. Aarcuda

Aarcuda Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    $60 to road force force balance 4 tires at the local Chevy dealer. But balance won't make a car drift to the side. That'd be alignment or suspension part worn, or wheels aren't true or your wheels not flush to the hub.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. Catless

Catless Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If I installed the wheels, I would take them back off and check everything again before blaming the wheels/tires.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

Yeah, I called a couple dealers too and they were significantly cheaper, but none of them had the Boss no touch mounting system that allows the wheel to be mounted from the back and nothing touches the wheels. I don't like the arm that many of the tire mounting systems use, they can and do scratch wheels. Also, the dealers either would only do it on their own brand cars, or wanted me to wait all day as it wasn't a priority.
    I had it done in an hour at the local tire shop that had both the Boss mounting system and the Road Force balancer, but it was pricey for sure.

Also, I'm having them send me 4 new of those hub center spacer things so I can put them in again to make sure it's flat and on there. But gotta say I mounted them on and it fit tight. I applied the bolts in the star pattern snugged each up then spun the wheel and tightened them all down fully in the star criss cross pattern too, so it seemed flush to me. I've done this many times before too so I'm quite anal about making sure it's on there good.

13. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I did take them all back off.
    I'm going to take them to the tire place this week and have them double check them.
    If they come up fine and pull to the right again, I'm gonna swap the left and right front ones and then see if it pulls to the left.
    If it does, it must be one of the wheels. If that's the case, I'd of thought the road force balancer would of been able to detect a bad wheel or tire. But I watched each come up as correct with a big green light and OK flash on the screen after he applied some of the stick on wheel weights where it was instructed.

14. Aarcuda

Aarcuda Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I've never heard of a car pulling to the side due to an unbalanced wheel. And I've had unbalanced wheels lots of times. The result is ALWAYS a shake. NEVER a pull. It's not the balance. No way.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yeah I spoke to the people who sold me the wheels.
    He said changing wheels and tires often requires a new alignment especially if you change the size of the wheels and tires.
    He told me to put the wheels on and if it pulls to the right, swap the two front wheels/tires to the opposite sides.
    He said if it still pulls to the right, you need an alignment.

He mentioned even just changing tire brands and keeping the same size, you can get "radial pull" and require a new alignment. I've never experienced it before in the two dozen+ wheels/tires I've bought for my cars in the past. But there is always a first.
    I'm going to have the front wheels/tires rechecked for balance. If they are OK I'll put them on, if it pulls to the right, I'll swap the sides. If is still pulls I'll head to a reputable place (or the dealer) for an alignment.

Thanks guys