Road Racing - Brainerd Performance School MN

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Racing Forum' started by DGatzby, May 2, 2016.

1. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Did my day one of three today for my summer instruction. Could not be happier with the car and things I learned today. With a D/A of about 1200' the Hellcat was screaming. Finally in the afternoon, I got around turn 12 fast enough to achieve 158 mph in less than 1/2 mile then slowing to 100 for the famous turn one. It is also one of the safest run outs for the NHRA Championships that visit every August.
    The PZero's live another day! Yes, they could be fatter, but these things have two track days now and still look tough, and they hang tough. The car achieved just under 1.1g both sides, the Porterfield Brake Pads did their duty all day, the power steering tank did not spray (if it would I had it wrapped), it was a blast to drive. Best deal, turned on the air, stereo, got 24 mpg on the way home (oh, I did burn about 30 gallons of gas today at the track!). Washed the giant bug killer off.

Tomorrow night, she gets her shoes changed :). I have some big wide wheels and some drag radials to mount on the back. Going to lighten the look and add the chrome wheels up front my NT05's will complement the 555R rears. The forecast for the first test and tune Wednesday at BIR may have a D/A at zero or below with N-NW winds. Anyone who knows about the magic of BIR knows they need to be there Wednesday afternoon. Will report back folks, could be fun.

Here are a few laps from this afternoon. I think after I went around the Mustang I turned a few consistent 2 minute laps. We had fun, he hung behind me for the whole way. Had an M3 in our group also. The three of us were basically running competitive together. Finally, when I decided to cool it, I let him pass. Funny we were talking after and he thought he went around me legit. It was a good day. Looking forward to June, I have two days up on the road course. Enjoy the video, it is about ten minutes worth FYI.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  2. 1949chopper

1949chopper NC STATE PRESIDENT Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Looks like a lot of fun. Hope to do some of that soon. What is the " pop" on decel, exhaust ?

3. DGatzby

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Ha, you heard the disconcerting pops! Thanks to my worthless new adjustable sway bar links that do no good at all. The shop that installed them and many other items for me due to my temporary back problem don't know how to use locktite. I missed lunch yesterday and I am $100 lighter because I needed to hire a local in Brainerd to tighten the front links. I believe we still have some loose shit on board. I need to replace all four wheels/tires tonight. I will be personally checking all of the damn connections with the care of a custom motorcycle builder with locktite in hand. Yes I am pissed at our vendor on this Forum that said I need them (wrong!) and the installation shop for their ignorant install methods. Speedlogix; what the hell are the links for? Can't make them any shorter than they are, what good are they if we don't have the scales to custom load the suspension? They are a current PI my ass.

4. 1949chopper

1949chopper NC STATE PRESIDENT Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You gotta double check behind everyone anymore. Just to get a hamburger cooked properly you have to have a 15 minute meeting with the cook. And then the fries are burnt.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. MABBRYFL30

MABBRYFL30 NYS President Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thank you for posting. Watched video a couple times. I would love to do that

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. MattG

MattG Gold Member Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Was looking onto doing Pocono Int. Raceway in June. did you have to adjust the tire pressures to make the turns ?
    I heard them singing once or twice in the video. Great G's in the turns i guess.
    Makes me want to book the drive sooner. Thanks for the great ride along.
    Good camera also.

Matt

7. DGatzby

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Or do it yourself.

Mabbry, just go do it. Hope you have a good spot. We are lucky to have world class 100 miles from Minneapolis.

Did 35 psi cold. They warmed up to about 40. Did not touch them.

Thanks for the camera compliment. Others told me a helmet cam attach is smoother and gives some rear mirror view along with leading the view into the turns with our heads. They are going to share the videos, if I agree, I may put the GoPro on the helmet for next time.

• Like Like x 1
  8. MABBRYFL30

MABBRYFL30 NYS President Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Spectacular gatzby. Love it. Have to do it and make time for it

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Dkong

Dkong Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Damn Mustangs, how do they cost 40k less and keep up at the track? I hear he got 26 mpg on the way home ;). Anyhow just giving you some sh*t. All in good fun. You do own a really nice car.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. TrackDay

TrackDay Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That is a Hellcat road course - really cool.

11. DGatzby

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Dkong, welcome to our home! Thanks for posting and backing me up! Good racing and it was lots of fun. Hope to see you next time, again. Too early here watched some will watch more later, need to hit the road.

12. DGatzby

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You guys would love it.

Not so lucky on the dragstrip at BIR yesterday. Contacting HHP and DSS this morning. CF DS went BOOM first time I laid into it on the excellent track surface they had yesterday. Yep, boys I am pissed!,!,!,! Hope you are cooperative gentlemen this morning, as I am also funeral bound and am in a rotten mood.

13. Senderofan

Senderofan Track in, Apex, Track out and Repeat! Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That was a really crappy deal! Couldn't believe she let go on your first run until I saw them trying to push you with the four wheeler. Sure hope you get a satisfactory resolution! Hopefully we'll have air like that later this summer / early fall.

14. Dkong

Dkong Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    CF DS? Carbon Fiber Drive Shaft? I don't know if I would be that daring to put one in such a high torque car. I'm considering going aluminum. Also I'm not sure who you were talking about, the M3 or the Mustang but I know you let up when I passed. You can tell by my throttle % I was worried that I may have missed a flag when I rolled passed you at the end.

15. TrackDay

TrackDay Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Wow, really sorry to hear that. I haven't heard of anyone else shattering one.