ROAD RACING!

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Racing Forum' started by DGatzby, Oct 11, 2015.

1. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Everyone, I want to start this thread because several of us have been seen around other threads about tires and handling and other stuff, but we need a Road Racing Thread. I have requested to the "higher authority" to get the Road Racing split from the Drag Racing, so let's show some interest and help make that happen.

I will proclaim we are going to surprise many with this 4600 lb machine on road courses. I have my first day in, several others have been racing. Let's begin to post up some results and begin discussions on tires, mods and even which organization (NASA) to join and do some legit races against some real stuff to prove we can hang!

Here is one of several laps I did recently. Technically, I am a novice now. Besides the SRT Experience and three sessions with instructors this vid is basically my first solo runs with the Cat...I don't know about others, but I am hooked and need more. Not to worry, I will add the required DS next spring, get out the required DR tires I have in the garage and get my sub eleven second quarter mile time. I like that also, but the rush lasts less than 15 seconds, these road courses keep giving and giving. Also, the SRT Engineers did intend for us to do this. As a Hellcat Club Member/Officer I will be working with them and other manufactures and suppliers to work with us to develop better products to support our new platform with the monster engine attached.

This was done at Brainerd International Raceway, I may add the site where the fastest 1000' ET and speeds have been recorded by NHRA just this past August. Yes, I was in the Zoo for my 23rd consecutive year. Yes, my HC will record the fastest quarter for a stock machine with drag radials and a shaft, I will wait for a cool Wednesday Test and Tune and good night boys, I'll post up next spring! Sorry, back to....So as you see the HC turn down that special straight drag strip, it has in excess of another quarter mile runout followed by a 100+ mph turn one, a not too bad turn 2, then it gets a bit technical before reaching the old bridge and another nice straight where the HC reaches 120+ before entering turn 10 into the long straight (151 mph max recorded), that is where this short lap starts, enjoy and use headphones, the Challenger was in Track Mode and was in its glory at WOT consuming 1.5 gal/min.

• Like Like x 10
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. 1949chopper

1949chopper NC STATE PRESIDENT Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I did my SRT experience at VIR and it was awesome. My first time driving on a road course. I've been to the drag strip hundreds of times with dozens of different cars and the road course is just way more fun. Like you said 15 seconds or lap after lap. Can't wait to get input from more experienced racers.

• Like Like x 4
  3. chuck

chuck Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC National President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That was great you looked like you had very good control of your car making that lap congrats. I hope people will get on board with you with this racing. I am sure this will be very interesting for other racers.

Thanks for your video very exciting to me.

Chuck

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Hemibuck

Hemibuck Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    So drag racing is fun but having an open day at the track is on another level! Wow what a blast!! I pushed the cat to the edge and she held up well. All except for a little spurt of steering fluid from the reservoir that shot out. Think it's too full but I will make sure tomorrow morning when it's cold and suck some out if needed. All the gauges stayed in the safe range.

The only down side to the day is two things; first the tires are going to get shredded and second the clear bra does it's job but it still took a pounding on the straight aways keeping up with the ZO6. It's wasn't a new ZO6 but it had 705 HP and the cat stayed right with it. And with that you find out where you should have put painters tape and or clear bra. I was a little upset about it but 99% of it buffed out and my guy said he could fix whatever I did.

Overall the car handled quite well and I was even more than impressed with the people that were there. When 3 Vette owners, a new LS1 Camero owner and a GT500 owner come over to check out your car and compliment you on it you know you are in good company. They had nothing but good things to say and in fact they all gave me pointers on how to pull the correct lines and said I did a pretty good job for never doing anything like this before.

Learning the car took a few laps. I didn't need to go into 2nd and found myself bouncing it off the rev-limiter once and riding high in the 5K range when I didn't need to so I stayed in 3rd and never got out of 5th until I was in the straight aways. I saw 140+ MPH there and heated up those brembos to a nice haze of blue on the rotors but never felt any fade ; ) For a 4300 LB car to hang with that group I would say that this big beast handles much better than most realize. I wish the seats were a little more bolstered but they are not bad. I would like to do it again but I know for sure I'm goingto be covering up the front end better.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. carcass

carcass SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Separate section for Road Racing moderators please!!!
    Nice run.
    Would you please post photos, or maybe even put some painters tape on the areas where you think it should be applied and take a couple photos to post??

• Like Like x 1
  6. DGatzby

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I am giving up on the front bumper. A couple of rocks have made it not so new. Looks like they can just sand/repaint it alone since it don't really match the sheet metal anyway. Easier to do that than baby it constantly.

On the RPM's...You must have a M6?
    I used the A8 Track Mode full auto, and the car seems much smarter than I could ever be both downshifting and obviously on the 160 ms upshifts, what a beast. The open baffles and my dyno run says that mode rocks! So does my butt after running it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Hemibuck

Hemibuck Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I'm in a Charger so no I have and A8. I'm not giving up because the clear bra actually did a damn good job after looking at it again this morning. It was the spots that they couldn't get clear bra on that got tore up and the A-pillars and windshield.

Have any of you guys had the power steering fluid squirt out?

8. DGatzby

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Well, hey on the RPM's I did Track Mode and thought its selections were absolutely on the money all day. Just depress slowly coming out of the corners to not make it do multiple downshifts, seems to work perfect. Once you can get it WOT it is on the way!

This way I can concentrate more on braking and not which gear may be perfect, our transmission is nearly perfect behind all the torque of that engine.

9. Shasta's Dad

Shasta's Dad Silver Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Sounds like you had a good time. What did it cost? Birmingham(Barber) is the closet around here. For Saturday and Sunday it costs ruffly $600.00, plus, you really need to get insurance, another $100.00 plus. It has too many turns, for the Cat. Sebring is better suited, but, it's farther and I think the track might be ruffer. After the SRT experience, I kinda got the "bug", but, haven't done it yet.:D

• Like Like x 1
  10. Lord Hellcat

Lord Hellcat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC UK President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Seems like a great idea and it will be interesting to see how you guys get on. At some point I will run my CAT on the circuit for four or five laps just to see what she can do. But I would not regularly track the car. It is far to heavy. Being an experienced racer I would munch through a set of tyres, discs and pads in a day and that would be far too much money for me.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Hemibuck

Hemibuck Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I also used track mode but chose to use the paddle shifters so I could use the tranny to slow the car down a little instead of all brakes. I loved using them!

12. Hemibuck

Hemibuck Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    It was only $85!

13. Hemibuck

Hemibuck Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Ya I don't see myself doing it all the time. It was fun, addicting is more like it. But I'm not going to beat my car all the time like that. I say if you have the chance do it at least once.

14. Hellinor

Hellinor Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Your correct about road racing, took mine to a track a couple weeks ago and had a blast . Its a big car to toss around but it handled it great and surprised a lot of guys including the track owner. Here's a pic of my G-force screen. Only a handful of street cars in this league.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  15. DGatzby

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It has more, especially our brakes. Slow down quickly using our huge brakes, get thru the corner and use our best asset, get on it with the thing in its optimum range, which if you let the A8 decide, about anywhere as long as your foot can press smooth...

image.jpg

• Like Like x 1