ROAD RACING!

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Racing Forum' started by DGatzby, Oct 11, 2015.

1. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hey, just went out and looked at my one cupped tire that I put on the back for a while. Yep, put yours on the back, go drive around, do a couple good rips and let it spin. It looks a lot better! That is what you were talking about TD? Sand them off. If they are only track tires simply rotate as everyone says, life is good, those PZeros look just like what I have seen. You are doing perfect, let it rip.

• Like Like x 1
  2. 762CAT

762CAT Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Ruh roh Rorge!! I don't have the brakes yet. Gonna get them installed at Demon Performance when he does the rest of the car. However, if the measurements create a problem with wheel fitment I may have to change that plan...... Wish I could help you out but keep me posted. I run the 305/45R18 Mickeys on 18x10 Bravado tributes at the drag strip 20mm offset no issues. I run the 20x10.5 VS Forged VS08s with 305 Nitto 555Rs on the street and those don't rub but they are pretty close to the inner fender well. Really don't want to have to use any spacers but you say you have 11 inch rims so maybe I'm good?

Hope the R & R of the knee goes smooth!

3. 762CAT

762CAT Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I feel like this applies to Hellcat Drivers everywhere....lol.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. theRealJA105

theRealJA105 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thermodynamics...glad you read. I liked the stock pads and was boiling Motul RBF600 multiple times. If I would have kept the cat I was looking into cooling ducts.
    Power steering fluid, I've already said this, but I changed to Redline synthetic before my first track day and never had a boiling over problem.

5. 762CAT

762CAT Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
  6. theRealJA105

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yes sir

7. 762CAT

762CAT Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Cool beans...and I'm being lazy because it's one more thing I have to figure out how to do now....thank goodness for Uncle Google but how many quarts did you need? Did you flush it yourself?

Weather is good so I'm bleeding the brakes today and inspecting the car for the upcoming VIR but maybe I can squeeze this swap in next week if I order the stuff from Amazon today.

Edit: Owners manual just says power steering fluid should meet FCA material standard MS-10838. Don't see that listed on Redline...trying to figure it out. Sure it's fine but would be nice to verify.

I've seen some people just suck all the fluid out the reservoir, refill, start the vehicle cycle the steering a few times and rinse repeat two or 3 times. That seems stupid simple, any thoughts? I have the evacuator I use to suck out the brake fluid reservoir so it would be easy to do.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  8. theRealJA105

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Only needed 1 quart, I bought 2 but didn't even use all of the first one. I did it myself on my buddies lift. We just disconnected the lines underneath to drain out, moved the wheels back and forth by hand to get everything to pump out. Filled and repeated moving the wheels back and forth, top off, then did the not recommended quick start and shut off to complete the filling. Never had any problems but I understand why you are looking for FCA approved fluids.

9. 762CAT

762CAT Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Sooo I called redline. They have no idea what the FCA MS-10838 stuff is. He looked it up and oddly enough 2015 hellcats used ATF +4 transmission fluid. An interim change was sent out to use this MS-10838. He could not recommend I use redline since he cannot tell what the specifications of the MS-10838 are....but ATF+4 is able to be replaced by the redline. One can reasonably conclude redline can replace the fluid that now comes in the SRT Hellcats....but.... Hmmmm what to do, what to do? I could call SRT but I suspect they will be equally useless and tow the party line of using their mopar fluid. I can just accept it is going to spit up a bit on the track and perhaps that is the safest solution...maybe suck out just a bit of fluid....then again if it spits enough out the problem may be self correcting eventually...lol. SRT sure likes to make their proprietary fluids don't they?

10. theRealJA105

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I think Trackday has said that there is more than enough fluid to just let it run low.

PS: How do I actually tag members names and not just type them? Still haven't figured that out.

11. 762CAT

762CAT Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    So I just put the car up on the lift inspected everything and bled the brakes. I was amazed how much brake pad was left. I brought spare pads to change just in case but the rotors and pads both look phenomenal still. Rotated the tires and with them completely off I don't think the front left is actually a problem. Still tons of tread. Only a couple small bubbles from the front right caliper. Other than that all good.

I did see the damn power steering fluid is PAST the max fill line. Shame on me for not looking last time. I'm just gonna suck some out and set it between the min and max lines. It does bother me a little that the fluid is obviously boiling for it to spew...but gonna run it like that this time and see what happens.

Car is ready, I am ready...VIR here we come!

theRealJA105 to tag people first type the @ symbol then start to type their handle and it will pop up. Click on it. I had to ask Bull how to do it. Lol.

• Like Like x 1
  12. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I am telling ya. The PS is universally over filled from the factory. After one or two sessions after puking a little I have ran the s.it out of it, not a drop of PS fluid again. TD and others report the same. Save your money for future racing consumables.

• Like Like x 1
  13. theRealJA105

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    762CAT so it's just like twitter and instagram, why didn't I think of trying that haha

Have fun at VIR!

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. TrackDay

TrackDay Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Sorry, been really busy the past few days. They quoted me right. I let it overflow some the first couple of events and then no more issues so far.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. M0DRN71

M0DRN71 Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    Wow. I just read all 25 pages. Great info guys! I have a 2015 Scat Pack but I have upgraded to the Hellcat sway bars and Hellcat 6-Piston Brembo setup.

The OEM pad is about done for after 80+ laps at Grattan and GingerMan. I was looking at the Power Stop Track Day Pads as I do still drive my car on the street, so I'm not really interested in a track only pad. Can anyone comment on the Power Stop Track day vs Porterfileds (for track/street) vs OEM?

BTW, it doesn't sound as nice as a Hellcat, but here is some video where I Mic'd the rear bumper for audio at GingerMan:

• Like Like x 3