Rock Chip in Matte Black Hood... Any Suggestions?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by SuperJCat, Aug 19, 2015.

1. SuperJCat

SuperJCat Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Was at a Hot Rod shop yesterday and the owner saw my car out in the parking lot. Was interested and when I went to pop the hood, smack dab right in the middle of the front of the hood was a rock chip.. Not big but very noticeable... Any suggestions as to what I can use or will using something make it even more noticeable??

2. soundman5000

soundman5000 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The hood is matte black so IMO thats a tuff color I would think... This is why I ONLY buy white and use clear bra. Dents, dings, don't show up and when I do a "self" touch up it looks okay being white. However, at the same time I can polish my arm off with wax and never see myself in the reflection of the paint.
    I had a new Mustang and a fresh "green"pine cone fell out of a tree and put a huge dent in the trunk but the car was white so you could almost not see it.
    I have had limited success with touch up paint. I bet your dealer has some one that can do much better touch up than you or I as it is a art form. I was amazed a few years back when my dealer used a paint-less dent removal service on a new Volvo I purchased. Worked well but that was a dent and not a chip.
    Good luck...you can always order a new hood...:rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  3. SRT HC

SRT HC BANNED

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I would find a paintless dent guy to get the dent out and have it wrapped satin black. In fact, that is what I did to my new White Hellcat (about 500 miles) that got a chip and dent on the hood. It is now satin black vinyl.

I'm pretty sure these are aluminum hoods, so when the paint finally pops off there is a silvery white of aluminum. I close friend has a 2006 Black Charger R/T who drove across country and got some hood rock chips that are now white spots on his black hood. Not too nice, to say the least.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. CubeMan

CubeMan Tri-State Overlord

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Options

1) Repaint hood
    2) Try to get matte black touch up, May not work well due to the fact matte black can still have different shades and I don't think Dodge has OEM touchup for it or Dr. Colorchip either.
    3) Wrap hood Satin black

After any of these

1) Clear bra it (Not sure if clear bra can happen over a wrap)

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. soundman5000

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Did I not see on this forum a new flat black hood is like $850 to $950? I may be wrong on the hood but I paid $700 for 1/2 a hood 3M bra and a full 3M front wrap was like $1,300 so with that in mind I would pay $900 for a new hood if it had factory paint as that is priceless IMO.

I would like to know if a black hood can be ordered as a part for around $900 as it may be worth having 2 hoods with one in black for my car?

6. JonWrong

JonWrong Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I like this post. I have owned all silver cars for some time. I always liked silver and bought used cars. I always found that silver hid the most defects. My 2000 mustang with original paint still looks close to new; people are astonished when they see it. That being said, I have never owned white until now. My silver car never got built, and white was my second choice. It looks great on this car. I am on the fence about reordering a silver car for 2016 and going through the drama of selling this one.

If white lasts and lasts and hides defects, maybe I will just keep it. I did have CQuartz placed on the car. White is harder to keep clean, but not like black or other dark colors. Any more input on white cars? Will the paint do well if protected for 10 plus years?

7. soundman5000

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Let me give you an example ( please forgive me for posting Ford pics and getting off topic a bit but a picture is worth a 1,000 words and you asked about years and white paint). I have a Crown Vic police car hobby. I buy a few, clean them up, drive them a bit and then sell them. This crown vic I sold last year, was a local county government fire department car that had lived under a pine tree its entire life when not working 9-5. Was a 2008 so about 7 years old on unprotected never waxed paint and I think just shy of 90,000 miles give or take. Heck the county used razor blades when taking the fire dept logos off and had scraps down to the primer all up and down the side of the car!

I do not have a before pic but I can guarantee you it had never been waxed or in a garage those 7 years as it had mold on it...green stuff! from a pine tree. Took about 20 hrs to get the logo sticky stuff off then I used clay bar and use Liquid glass brand pre cleaner then 3 coats of Liguid Glass auto polish Liquid Glass Ultimate Auto Polish and LOTS of touch up paint ( yes,the $12 stuff in the tube with a brush from the dealer ) Can't see the touch up can you? Thats because its white! Paint looks almost perfect does it not? lets just say I am a huge fan of white cars and a bigger fan of Liguid Glass polish as I just put my 3rd coat on my white Hellcat tonight! This car sold me on the liquid glass as the folks who purchased it noticed how slick it was to the touch.

A white car is the ONLY car you can trade at high noon on a sunny day with hail damage and the dealer will not see the dents...Not that I would do such a thing but I try to always buy white just in case!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. JonWrong

JonWrong Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I really appreciate the long post and pics. Goes a long way in helping me to make a decision. And since we are posting Ford pics...

My Tundra was hit and totaled a few weeks ago. I want another DD truck but cannot bring myself to pay for a new one. My 2008 was perfect; first new car I ever bought. If you know about trucks, you know that ones that are on to two years old save you nothing over new. Five years plus like my Tundra are all BEAT.

So, it hit me. Let me find something that was taken care of b/c car guys owned it. Ford Lighting. Same engine platform as the mustang I still own. Quick and has a truck bed. I found a white one for sale in TX with 22k miles. Look at this thing:

I thought maybe it was an anomaly, but now I see.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. MrBigKid

MrBigKid BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I wish you'd buy and fix up the crown vics around here. All of them look like old beat up cop cars....

10. JonWrong

JonWrong Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    For real. And in Central Florida, one type of person/demographic buys them nonstop.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. usmc341

usmc341 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Don't laugh but my 1st Shelby got a chip in the matte black vinyl stripe. A Sharpie covered it nicely.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Fast cat

Fast cat BANNED Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I bought a new hood and it was black but I was thinking it was a black primer . The hood cost $801 from my local dealership.

13. MrBigKid

MrBigKid BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I think he is recalling the option price for the 2016 satin hood. $900
    If I recall the actual hood by itself and primered was right around 1k.