Running a Front Plate Without Drilling Into Bumper

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by goingsolo2, Mar 13, 2015.

1. goingsolo2

goingsolo2 Beast will be back bigger and better than ever! Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    This always seems to be a question that comes up...how to run a front plate in a state that requires it without drilling into the bumper but still looking good (well, as good as it can look). The two methods I will share with you both enable you to easily remove the plate for car shows, etc., or if the law ever changes.

Method 1: Fasty's Garage (on Facebook) makes a magnetic plate. I had one made for my car if I ever get around the removing the front bumper. You send him your OEM front plate bracket and he modifies it for you with military grade magnets. You place 4 additional magnets (which he supplies) behind the front bumper and it sticks right on. He places some rubber trim around the plate as well so it does not scratch the cars existing paint. This is great for driving without the plate, but putting it on when you park to avoid tickets. He also gives you the option of painting the plate frame to match the color of your Hellcat. The front bumper must be removed to put the magnets on. I tried without removing it and it's impossible. I had this on my previous Challenger. One word of advice...if you go this route, frequently clean the rubber trim, as it will start to leave a small mark around the edge in your paint if you let it get dirty. It can't be avoided...the car will vibrate while being driven, so keep it clean.

Method 2: I particularly like this one. I had to come up with another way, as I just don't have the time right now to remove the bumper (I am a little nervous to do it as well). The Hellcat front bumper is not as wide as the previous generation Challengers. In the previous models, the entire front plate bracket fit on the bumper. In the Hellcat, you'll notice that part of the front plate bracket hangs down over the edge. This is because they thinned out the front of the bumper, probably to allow more airflow into the engine bay. Here's what I did. The lower plastic grill is held on by simple screws on its top side. I took two metal brackets and bent them into an "L" shape. The bracket had existing holes in it (like a belt on your pants). My buddy had them laying around his shop. We bent them into the L shape in a vice. We used the existing screw holes on the top of the lower plastic and screwed them in there. Then I went to the local auto parts store and bought a rubber license plate frame. We put the plate inside of it and screwed it through the top holes right into the L shape brackets. Looks like it came stock this way, doesn't touch the paint or body of the car at all, and is easily removed by two screws.

Method 3: Don't run a front plate and risk the tickets. I have meter maids by me and they ticketed me the day I went to make the frame modification. Bad timing, but they would have come back every day and ticketed me until I fixed it.

I hope this helps and is useful!

Steve

IMG_3434.JPG IMG_3435.JPG IMG_3436.JPG IMG_3437.JPG

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Tammie

Tammie SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Can you share a pic of your option with the Lm racket and rubber frame? Thanks

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. 70Cuda

70Cuda Yep, its got a HEMI

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have no plate on the front my Viper, 2012 Challenger, M5 or my hellcat. Never had a problem.
    If I have a problem I will go with the toggle bolt solution have the cop sign off on it and then remove it. I believe the sheriff out here has better things to do.

• Like Like x 1
  4. goingsolo2

goingsolo2 Beast will be back bigger and better than ever! Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Added some for you Tammie:) By the way, how do I get the pictures to appear larger. I have no idea how to do that!

5. goingsolo2

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    In NY, especially on Long Island, they are super strict with it and it's not a cheap ticket unfortunately. I drive it daily so it would end up costing me a fortune over time. I wish we had a no front plate law.

6. Tammie

Tammie SRT Hellcat Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Cool! That works. Great idea, I like that it s easily removed and no marks on the car.:D

7. 70Cuda

70Cuda Yep, its got a HEMI

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    yep you need to go with the electric under the splitter set up. Hit the button and its up. Put it down when you want to. But I hear you on the ticket prices over there.

8. goingsolo2

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yes, and it uses the OEM screws and screw holes, so no drilling at all!

• Like Like x 1
  9. goingsolo2

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have tried that in the past...one bump and it gets thrown off its track and never works. The wires corroded over time as well, and didn't want to add anything electrical.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Sublime 70

Sublime 70 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I"ll take option 3, not my everyday driver and not drilling anything on my car.......yea i agree no front plate law!

• Like Like x 1
  11. goingsolo2

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I hear ya...the two methods I posted don't require any drilling either, so thank goodness! I refuse to deface such a beautiful car!

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Brampton Builder

Brampton Builder Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Only prob with that location is it blocks a lot of air for cooling , here's my idea find a vinyl guy who can make a copy of your plate in vinyl and just put it on the front bumper in the stock location . No holes and it can be peeled off at any time without damage.

13. goingsolo2

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If I were taking it to the track, I would just take it off...for daily driving, I can't see it being a cooling issue. There's still room under it and around it to cool it enough for daily driving, and I have been looking at all my temps and they have not changed at all after the plate install.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Brampton Builder

Brampton Builder Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Ok cool , front plate laws suck they destroy the look of these cars. Up here in Ontario they are crazy about front plates as well. I'm going to look at getting my plate copied in vinyl I've seen it done and of you have to run a plate I think this is the best alternative

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. CubeMan

CubeMan Tri-State Overlord

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i'm probably going to do the electric slide one you mount under your front spoiler. Here in Westchester NY (Just north of the bronx and next to long island). We have certain towns (GREENBURGH COUGH COUGH) that love to pull you over for no front plate. Or if they want to make a stop just to cause a hassle, no front plate is the easiest one for us car guys, or tints.

They get pretty expensive, North of a hundred dollars. They don't issue fix-it tickets either here in westchester. Maybe you could challenge it once in court, but after that you'll never win again.

EDIT: I would eat a hundred buck ticket to drive around with no front plate, get pulled over and as the officer walks up to the car hit the button to slide it out. My friend did it with his BMW, The cop did a quadruple take at the front of his car cause he knew that plate wasn't there a second ago.

• Funny Funny x 3