running hot at startup

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by bighit2883, Aug 23, 2015.

1. bighit2883

bighit2883 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Lately my M6 challenger has been running a little warm at startup. Pretty much after starting up, let it idle down, and take off at a normal civilized pace my temp goes up over half and the fans kick in. Its been pretty cool lately too. Mid 60s. Any idea what might be going on?

2. themarshall

themarshall Silver Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    First off i would invest in a thermostat if you are mechanic inclined. Otherwise get to your dealer tell him what is going on pronto, dont play with it . DO NOT CONTINUE TO DRIVE THE CAR AS IT STANDS. This could cause more problems for you down the road. If your fans are kicking in that early after first startup ther is a problem.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. RadCat

RadCat Left Shark

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I agree with themarshall (I'm a fellow LEO). Don't even mess with a thermostat (simple swap out procedure (unless it's on a late model Ford Mustang or F250, then it's a little more of a pain), you have a warranty, USE it. You could warp or crack a head, cause a blown head gasket, basically over heating can cause all sorts of nastiness. Don't chance it. Hopefully you have a good local dealer/service rep that can diagnose and fix it quick. So take it in for a one afternoon fix instead of a multi-day top end overhaul with replacing heads or milling them (sure hope the factory doesn't resort to that). Best of luck to you.

4. fnkychkn

fnkychkn swollen member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Coolant level ok?

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. FreightTrain

FreightTrain Comfortably Numb

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    do you use the performance gauges ? what temp is the coolant water getting to before the fans turn on?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. bighit2883

bighit2883 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Ill have to check all the temps and what not. It doesn't last long though. It goes just a little over half on the temp gage fans kick in and then pretty much right away drops down and stays down

7. 440 Superbee

440 Superbee Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    My suggestion would be to go to the following link posted below and try B5 Blue's trouble shooting tips. If you test and try tips and its still running hot, use your warranty. Also, do what Paladin06 suggested too.

14 Miles on it and already a problem!! | SRT Hellcat Forum

My car was doing the same type of behavior. Once I did the testing and steps B5 and Paladin suggested, it's been running around 205 (deg F) in Central Florida ever since.

8. bighit2883

bighit2883 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Im glad the fan is kicking and doing its job, but should not have to be kicking in so early

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. pink68

pink68 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    So it's not actually overheating? The engine temp goes up till the fans kick on and then the rest of the drive is normal?

10. bighit2883

bighit2883 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Correct. No lights, no dings, no beebs. Just gets warm on start up, drive for a little bit while the fans kick in then it drops to normal operating temp. Just don't understand why it gets a little hot and fans kick in when its only 60F outside. Gets between half and 3/4th on the temp gage. (Sorry don't know the exact temp) fan kicks in, start driving then it goes below half. Ive never had this issue before. It would usually take a while of slower city traffic on a hot day before the fan turns on. Now its pretty much right away even when its cool outside

11. chuck

chuck Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC National President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I know about thermostats well I did when running the older motors back in the day mine runs alittle warmer in town with traffic red lights but cools quickly on highway but which thermostats degrees will help this mine just runs alittle over halfway mark but I do like it running cooler on highway well under 200 degrees and will highway speeds stay the same or be cooler also. And installing this will it affect warnity in any way I always liked my motors running cooler think this helps the life of your motor. Remember I'm old school run 350s 327s old motors what I messed with years ago also seems in town this motor runs alittle warmer than my other cars in town not on highway when you running 70 temp great

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
  12. usmc341

usmc341 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That is a little odd. Here in the Vegas inferno mine will sometimes creep just past halfway in traffic. I would take it in. Could be signs of a sticking thermostat or bad fan relay. No need to park it and panic though.

13. HELLKAT_NY

HELLKAT_NY Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Problem is his fan works, mine didn't.

14. bighit2883

bighit2883 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Think i just have a sticky thermostat. It quickly climbed to 220F Fan kicked in got up to 222 i turned around and headed back home and cooled down to 202. The hottest it usually gets is around that 200-205 range and fan kicks in. It never really has gone past this range until now. I think it generally is around 190 to 200 since buying it.

15. chuck

chuck Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC National President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yes I think something not quite right happens too quick riding temp I think best to get checked out also dont know if good for fan to run that much and that often I don't know about the design but seems it runs too often and too much may not be good for it either glad its working right or you would have a big problem