Running in guidelines (engine)

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by Baldnut, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Baldnut

Baldnut SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hi guys, I have searched but couldnt find this.

What is the guidelines for running the engine in? I collect her in the morning, what sort of revs/speed should I keep her under and for how many miles?

Thanks,

2. Gixer Jay

Gixer Jay Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    From the User's Guide:

SRT Engine Break-In Recommendations

SRT Engine Break-In Recommendations: The following tips will be helpful in obtaining
    optimum performance and maximum durability for your new SRT Vehicle.
    Despite modern technology and World Class manufacturing methods, the moving parts of
    the vehicle must still wear in with each other. This wearing in occurs mainly during the first
    500 miles (805 km) and continues through the first oil change interval.
    It is recommended for the operator to observe the following driving behaviors during the
    new vehicle break-in period:

0 to 100 miles (0 to 161 km):
    •Do not allow the engine to operate at idle for an extended period of time.
    •Depress the accelerator pedal slowly and not more than halfway to avoid rapid acceleration.
    •Avoid aggressive braking.
    •Drive with the engine speed less than 3,500 RPM.
    •Maintain vehicle speed below 55 mph (88 km/h) and observe local speed limits.

100 to 300 miles (161 to 483 km):
    •Depress the accelerator pedal slowly and not more than halfway to avoid rapid
    acceleration in lower gears (1st to 3rd gears).
    •Avoid aggressive braking.
    •Drive with the engine speed less than 5,000 RPM.
    •Maintain vehicle speed below 70 mph (112 km/h) and observe local speed limits.

300 to 500 miles (483 to 805 km):
    •Exercise the full engine rpm range, shifting manually (paddles or gear shift) at higher
    rpms when possible.
    •Do not perform sustained operation with the accelerator pedal at wide open throttle.
    •Maintain vehicle speed below 85 mph (136 km/h) and observe local speed limits.

For the first 1500 mi (2414 km):
    •Do not participate in track events, sport driving schools, or similar activities during the
    first 1500 mi (2414 km).

Its very difficult to hold the throttle back for the first 500 miles but its worth it in the long run.

Hope that helps

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Toolman_42

Toolman_42 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Check the configuration before you leave the dealership. My dealership had set default to all TRACK mode so going 55 really wasn't in the cards as 55 is an unnatural speed for the all TRACK setting. Immediately changed configuration to make it driveable at the recommended speeds.

There is always ECO mode to help you keep the speed down! LOL

4. bwrguy

bwrguy Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    For engine, transmission and your safety, take it easy the first 500 miles or so. That way you will get a feel for the car, how it steers, brakes, etc. After that you can let all hell break lose. I have seen too many pictures of z06's and Hellcats that were crashed on the drive home from the dealership.

5. Gixer Jay

Gixer Jay Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    +1

Break-in of the engine is a critical step to longevity. Some people say to break it in the way your going to drive it, but there is something to be said for wear time of seating piston rings, valve seals, ect. It'd be terrible to be one of those engines that are burning a quart of oil every 500-1000 miles.

6. JerseyCat

JerseyCat Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    All good points. Remember, the break in is also for you to :). Perhaps more than most, this is a car which takes some getting used to. First time you depress the accelerator down past halfway on the freeway and she drops down two gears on you and breaks the back end loose at 65mph is absolutely a learning experience :D

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Baldnut

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    the drive home is 250 miles so that helps for some of it :)

Thanks for the advice, really appreciate it.

JerseyCat I heard about the gear drop and the back end coming out in another thread, is this a common occurrence? My only fast car in the last 20 years was an Audi S8 which was 4 wheel drive and around 320bhp I havnt had much experience with back end coming loose in my Discovery and similar vehicles in the last 20 years so a little worried of what to expect if the roads are wet and that happens!

I can assure you I will be showing the car a lot of respect for the first few weeks at least until I adjust to what it has to offer.

8. CNYHC

CNYHC SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Keep the "traction" in "Street Mode" at least for the first few hundred miles...it will save your tires too.

Congrats on your new Hellcat... Enjoy!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Lord Hellcat

Lord Hellcat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC UK President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Baldnut these are a bit of a beast. That said. From my experiences of my readings on this very forum. Personally I would follow the recommended break in requirements. More for yourself and I mean it than your Cat. Get to know the beast. There are guys and girls on here that have stomped on their Cat from day one with many miles on them and with zero reliability issues. Others have babied their Cats from day one and have had replacement engines at very little miles. Luck of the draw my friend. Keep everything in street mode. Trans, suspension and traction. It is the most friendly mode. What I can say is for a rear wheel drive car producing a mega amount of horsepower they are completely docile. Your right foot controls all. It will not bite you in the arse unless you stomp on the gas. You have to respect the Cats power. Getting some heat into the tyres makes a very big difference. Do you have all seasons or summer tyres. Either way with our inclement weather just go easy and you will find it to be a real pussycat. That is what is so incredible about the Hellcat. It can be all things to all men and then enjoy :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Baldnut

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    10 hours to go!!! 4 of those are on the train! Shit better get to bed :)

11. Angel

Angel Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Good luck with getting some sleep tonight I was so excited I didn't sleep at all. :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. BLK_MAGIC

BLK_MAGIC VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Very hard to sleep knowing what is waiting for you. Enjoy the ride and be safe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. NorCaletch19He77Kat

NorCaletch19He77Kat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    all this break in stuff is total BS... mechanically the engine is ready to go WOT right out of the chute.. the break in guides are hyped by manufacturers towards vigilance for leaks, loose bolts, etc externally... I have built Nascar engines and they are either righteous, or they are worthless mechanically from the get go..
    internally if the engine has ANY faults, it would fail regardless of a so called break in period--so, drive the livin' shit out of it..

14. Johnman

Johnman Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You cannot reset default to track mode, except for suspension.

• Like Like x 1
  15. JerseyCat

JerseyCat Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    As long as you take the time to get used to her Baldnut, you will be fine. Lord Hellcat had good advice as well - the car is very predictable, it's just that you have to introduce yourself to the upper limit behavior. All of that torque and HP is always on tap and what used to be considered a 'normal' throttle input to pass someone on the highway is now quite a different experience :D. Getting to know where the traction limits are and how to feel them are just another good part of this great car. Like some of the other guys said, nothing wrong with dropping the HP down to 500 now and then or if the roads are wet. Enjoy the weekend!!!

• Like Like x 1