Rust Proofing...

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Maintenance' started by Dances With Empties, Dec 28, 2014.

1. Dances With Empties

Dances With Empties Gold Member

Where rednecks are nervous of hillbillies
    Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Haven't got a build date, but have been going back & forth on this...

The future car will be stored indoors,unheated, over 3/4" rubber mat on concrete & won't see snow or likely rain. But I'm pretty sure I'll being using some kind of oil spray, without drilling holes, to help preserve it's integrity. The first problem I can see is that dam satin hood I ordered. Keeping it from oil contamination will prove to be difficult. The second is finding an oil treatment that won't swell rubber trim. I've been told by a local mechanic / car collector locally, that Rust Check is the only one he'd use. I've used Krown & while it works excellent for my daily drivers, it can swell the rubber trim.

I open this thread for the northern owners who, like me suffer from the white shate: Snow & salt! Any input is appreciated & hope everyone who will have to store their H/C for 6 months out of the year will chime in. OK, maybe not 6 but it will feel longer when it happens!:p

2. Jim Hetrick

Jim Hetrick Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    What about mice ?????:eek::eek::eek::eek:

3. Jim Hetrick

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Just Kidding

4. Jim Hetrick

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Man you guys have to deal with issue that are not even a factor here in SoCal. You just put your car to sleep for a couple days with a cover and and battery tender and use it next day.

5. Stormer

Stormer Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I am originally from Chicago,and I know exactly what you mean.

6. Dances With Empties

Dances With Empties Gold Member

Where rednecks are nervous of hillbillies
    Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The funny part is that undercoating is one of the 1st things they offer! If I use anything it will be an oil or wax based product. Brampton Builder mentioned where they have stuck sound deadening up inside the fenders. Depending on how that stuff is attached, I'd love to yard it it out of there. If it's non absorbing spray foam, it's one thing; but if it's a material based matting its a big diaper!!!

7. Brampton Builder

Brampton Builder Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The stuck on sound deadening is in the rear wheelwells under the plastic wheel liners ,the ones in the fender are not stuck on just placed there. They are both cloth based or as I call them sponge like materials. Also under the car they use a bunch of stick on heat shields close to where the firewall and floor pan meet near the catalytic converters that again let water and sand get in between them and the body as they don't seal fully to the body. I don't recommend was based rustproofing as it seals the seams and if moisture gets between this and the metal rust will happen , always go for a oil or flowing type of rust protection

• Useful Useful x 3
  8. One Ton Racer

One Ton Racer Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Dancer,

I see you are getting your car. Mine comes early June. :) I hope.
    Any update to this thread?
    I have used Rust Check on all my vehicles since 1981 with no issues and am considering going with that based on my past experience, BB's post above & your car collector/mechanic's comment to you.
    This link, [ www.howtosavemoney.ca/which-rust-proofing-service-is-best] & the link in the post, http://cradpdf.drdc-rddc.gc.ca/PDFS/unc53/p526285.pdf , review a test the army did where Corrosion Free rated best, followed by Krown, then Rust Check.
    I'm in NB by the ocean, so a little damp here.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Lord Hellcat

Lord Hellcat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC UK President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Sponge like material in the rear wheel wells and front fenders does not sound to good for long term rust protection. Can anyone recommend an alternative. I guess the stuff is there to reduce NVH. I was going to use a clear Waxoyl coating to protect the underneath of the car. No idea if you guys use it stateside.