Safety and driving skill is ESSENTIAL

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by MABBRYFL30, May 26, 2016.

1. MABBRYFL30

MABBRYFL30 NYS President Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Please watch for knowledge of how our cars hold up and pontential if we are not careful

Only meant for us to learn our cars

• Useful Useful x 5
  2. graycat

graycat Automobile Aficionado Extraordinaire Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Did you happen to find any other videos about these cars? (My Hellcat is a 16)

Thanks for posting. Knowledge is power!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. sgoyal

sgoyal Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Stupid question... Is there any framing difference between SXT, RT vs hellcat (Hellcat is 400-600 lbs heavier than SXT/RT) or all the extra weight is from the supercharger

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. graycat

graycat Automobile Aficionado Extraordinaire Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Good question sgoyal. I'm pretty sure that the supercharger is part of the added weight but I also believe that the Hellcats have additional weight due to the added heat exchangers, duct/piping etc as well as the stronger rear end and possibly even the transmission.

Hopefully someone in "the know" will chime in.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. dragrcr

dragrcr Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That small offset crash is brutal. It is the worst possible condition and it not very likely in the real world. I have never put much weight on these results because it is fabricated. You are hitting an object that will NOT yield and a very small offset. So the results of this test do not impress me or sway my buying decision one bit.

Now what would help is this new concern about having stronger seat frames so you do not kill your Kids sitting in the seat behind you, if you are rear ended. They say it would cost $5 to fix this. I don't have Kids but if I did............

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bandit

Bandit Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Losing a foot? No biggie, I still have a spare.

• Funny Funny x 4
  7. Bandit

Bandit Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

I don't know why you think that, it is an EXTREMELY likely scenario. Guardrails, cement divider walls, seawalls, concrete walls leading onto a bridge on either side of the road, hitting the rear bumper of the trailer on an 18-wheeler (some are dropped down very low), hitting the corner of a car in front of you as one of you are coming in or out of the lane (you're rear-ended and shoved into the stopped car in front of you and one lane over)... the list is probably a lot longer than this.

I've seen countless cars being hauled on a tow truck or transport with front corner damage like that.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. Lord Hellcat

Lord Hellcat Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC UK President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm sure I read somewhere around launch time that the Hellcats had additional structural stiffening but I could be wrong and it probably would not help in this sort of accident. I guess the wise thing to do is not have an accident. At some of the speeds we like to travel we could end up in the trunk

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. Markp

Markp Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Club Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    When will you hit a all steal reinforced wall at that speed dead on with just one foot of the corner of the car. That was one strong wall because even if you hit a building like that you would probably go through.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Jettster

Jettster Gold Member Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    So if I did that with a little Toyota it would fare better? Not a chance...and if one of them hit us-their car is totaled. If I hit it with one of my old 60's or 70's sleds the car wouldn't crush too bad but all the energy would go to me and squash me like a bug...I'll take my chances in the Hellcat.

11. FarAwayFromHere

FarAwayFromHere Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Easy, don't Crash,problem solved!
    Far

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. carcass

carcass SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'd cut all those crumple zones out yank all the airbags and throw them in the trash and remove any extra door bar or other heavy safety devices if I could get away with it and not void the warranty, and possibly losing my insurance in the event of an accident
    I didn't option for safety devices or crumple zones they were put in place as mandatory government intervention.
    the extra weight from these things is not appreciated, I bought a muscle car not a Volvo
    I can imagine how awesome the challenger would be if it was on a tube chassis with roll cage and removable door bars, aluminum sheet metal on tabs from the cage a flat aluminum dash with a race pack and touchscreen and Kirkey aluminum seats.
    I may have gone a bit far out there but it just goes to elaborate on how I feel on government intervention and mandatory safety devices that affect the performance of my car.
    Government wants to make a safer environment? how about outlawing tobacco and alcohol? That would save countless more lives and people would smell better too.

13. Catless

Catless Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    After they add another 200 lbs to pass that fabricated test the IIHS will fabricate another test that vehicles can't pass. It is what they do to stay in business.

14. 66CHARGER 318

66CHARGER 318 Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    That was a v6 I would like to see the big 275 make its way though the foot well don't think it would be as bad

15. dragrcr

dragrcr Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Lets take just one of your examples : "hitting the corner of a car in front of you as one of you are coming in or out of the lane ". That other car is going to move when you hit it and your car will immediately take another path. It won't cause nearly the same damage. Some of the other examples you give are not even comparable.

The only things that I can think of is hitting concrete pillars etc. In that case I bet 95% are from folks falling asleep, using drugs or drunk. Of course you know what I am going to say next...........I have no sympathy for them at all, because they have no business driving a Vehicle.

A LOT of people figure out ways to kill themselves and of course you want to blame it on the Car Manufacturer Etc. My way of thinking is YOU bought a car and made it go 60 MPH. Did you not know there are concrete pillars and other vehicles out there with Humans driving them? The second you turn that ignition key YOU are taking on risk............