Satin Black Hood Availability

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by iya0yas, Mar 26, 2015.

1. iya0yas

iya0yas Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I ordered a B5 Challenger HC (VON 33465768) on 2/19 at which time the black hood was not available as a "selectable option" in Dealer Connect i.e., the order bank. Since then I periodically check with the GSM at my dealership to see if the hood is available but as of last Friday it's not. According to my discussion with SRT C/S (Bridgette - sp?) and upon review of the official Dodge website, the black hood is available to order but my dealer's GSM has confirmed with his regional/district (?) rep. that the black hood option remains inactive.

I understand the hood can be wrapped post delivery however I prefer that the car were 'born' with the black hood instead of going to the after market.

So....
    1.) Why the on-going disparity regarding this option between SRT C/S management, the official Dodge website & Dealer network? (On the website you can still build & price a Challenger HC with the blk. hood when I thought the order banks closed two weeks ago?)

2.) SRT C/S cannot access/modify orders and my dealer/regional rep. cannot select the hood option so who should I turn to for help? Are there other "customer facing" levels within the dealer network that one could leverage for assistance in this matter? If so, a contact name/info. would be much appreciated.

Thanks-

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  2. 70Cuda

70Cuda Yep, its got a HEMI

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    B5 will look great with the satin black hood, but I do not recommend you add it at this point of your order. Probably best to wrap it once you get it.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Nutshell

Nutshell Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have a black hood supposedly that has been built but is being held for some unknown reason. Like the car has been finished but not released. Who knows? Quality control issue maybe?

4. 70Cuda

70Cuda Yep, its got a HEMI

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Mine took forever and a day.

5. Deputydog

Deputydog Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Mine has a black hood, was built 3/9 and seemed to move along ok.. Should have it at the dealer next week.

6. Brampton Builder

Brampton Builder Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Unfortunately the hellcats aren't born with the black hood , all cats leave their birthplace with a body coloured hood and are shipped to Detroit MI to a company who removes the hood and repaints it black. So really no difference going aftermarket. If you want your cat sooner don't get the black hood

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. tsc

tsc SRT Hellcat Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yep.. I've tried to tell people this in the past, but I've given up. Somehow a shop outsourced by Chrysler to paint the hood is different than having someone else paint the hood. It shouldn't cost you $995 to get it done either. Had my last hood painted for $375 and it matched the satin spoiler perfectly as far as color and texture. I guess they really want that option listed on the window sticker (that only they will look at).. ;)

• Winner Winner x 3
  8. april77

april77 Naughty SheDevil Mod Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have said pretty much the same on other threads, and people either do not understand the written word, or it is not what they want to hear so they pretty much blow it off. It was their choice if they wanted to get their car sooner, or wait for an option that cost too much and probably would not happen anyway. You can lead a horse to water, but you cannot make it drink.

April

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Brampton Builder

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    They think in 30 yrs it will make the car worth more. That ship sailed a long time ago. Unless they have a 1 off unique hellcat something no one else has , a black hood ain't gonna increase the value anymore then the next one without a black hood .Now a BB sig will double its value for sure

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. SRT_HC_707

SRT_HC_707 SRT_HC_707 Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If there is a concern about originality then buy a second hood, have it painted and put the original one away. I would MUCH rather have a local shop paint the hood vs. whatever outfit in MI. I think the quality would be better.

Wrap is an option too. Can always remove the wrap....

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. iya0yas

iya0yas Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Interesting, so they strip the old paint/primer then start from scratch? Perhaps a paint code will be made available to the network as with any other body color paints? Is it a high temp paint? I noticed on a friends HC w/Satin hood that the show side and under side appear to have different levels of gloss/sheen. Is the show side coated with a different paint spec. and/or is the same but buffed to some degree?

Thanks for the feedback everyone... As suggested I'm leaving my order as is w/o the satin hood...couldn't add it now it if I wanted to and will agree that I'll likely take delivery sooner anyway :)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  12. SRT_HC_707

SRT_HC_707 SRT_HC_707 Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I don't think they strip the hood. I believe someone here said the scuff the top coat and paint it. They also said based on experience with previous year cars when the black chips (rocks etc) you see the base color showing through... That stinks!

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. Brampton Builder

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The Base coat is what gives the hood or car its colour you can use just normal black paint as it's the clearcoat that gives the paint its sheen , either gloss , flat or matte. No need for high temp paint as regular hoods don't use it so the black ones don't need it either

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. iya0yas

iya0yas Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks BB!