Satin hood and Automatic Car Washes...?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Townie, Aug 28, 2015.

1. Townie

Townie Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I ordered my Hellcat with a satin black hood. But I'm an automatic car wash kind of guy. I usually drive trough the car wash once a week. What will the automatic car wash do to the satin hood? I've heard someone say that the satin hood can only be hand washed. I'm curious about what specifically will happen if I use the automatic car wash?

2. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Satin hood is sensitive I wouldn't do it unless it's been proven safe otherwise

3. Confuzed2

Confuzed2 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    So long as it's a touchless wash it might be OK. The only reservation I'd have is that the soap they use is pretty strong stuff. Not sure how you would prove it safe unless you talk someone else that has a satin hood to go through the same car wash that you do! lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. walter roberson

walter roberson Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have a satin hood on mine. DO NOT take it through a carwash unless its touchless. A regular carwash will scratch the hell out of it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. gts_2001

gts_2001 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The other issue to worry about besides scratching is wax. If any wax is used in the car wash (and I believe they all do to one degree or another even if you don't pay for extra wax) it may leave a "splotchy" appearance on the finish. That's one of the main reasons I bailed on the idea of the painted black satin hood and opted to cover it with vinyl. The vinyl is much more forgiving! If I were you, I'd stay far away from an automated car wash and be skeptical about the touchless ones.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Odin

Odin Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Stay away from automatic car washes.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Bandit

Bandit Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I had my old Challenger SRT8's hood painted like this, had it for 2 years, automatic car washes 3-4 times a week and the hood looked like new.

I've had my Hellcat with satin hood for about 7 or 8 weeks now, automatic car washes almost daily (we have a club membership thing here) and it looks like new.

Each have gone through washes with auto brushes too.

Just avoid paste type waxes, and avoid rubbing & buffing because it will create shiny spots that will never go away.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Hollywood

Hollywood Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If you're an automatic car wash kind of guy, buy a Honda!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. hellcat16

hellcat16 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Why??? I am amazed people use those things.... Oh well..your car..your water spots

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. soundman5000

soundman5000 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If you don't want to wash it yourself search the net or yellow pages for mobil detailing in your area and have someone come to your house or work and hand wash your car.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Mtr

Mtr Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I get that people want to take care of their cars, but honestly the paint jobs on our cars are nothing special. It's not hand applied like the Viper. It's a mass production paint job and it's pretty well known the paint booth at the Brampton plant is long overdue for an overhaul -- there are tons of complaints about poor initial paint quality. They paint our cars with the same quality that they use for the $27K base Charger -- i.e. borderline below average.Don't get me wrong, I love my car and I think the Tri Coat Pearl is gorgeous. But the panel gaps and paint quality are average at best.

If the manual has special instructions for care of the hood, then follow them. If it doesn't, then don't worry about it. I love all the guys here going "Oh horrors, don't run it through a car wash! You'll irrevocably damage it!" And then Bandit comes forward with personal experience of over 500 machine washes with no damage. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  12. gts_2001

gts_2001 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    For the record, 1. SRT/FCA has published a TSB pertaining to the need for special care of the Black Satin hood. It has been published here and I have a copy of it somewhere on a desktop machine. I'll bet it might be found in the WIKI section, and if not, a simple search ought to locate it. See Here: Satin Black Hood | Page 2 | SRT Hellcat Forum. I'm pretty sure that it advises against automated car washes (it refers to special car washing products and none of those listed in the TSB are used in automated car washes). 2. Often in life we make decisions based upon statistics and odds. The OP may wish to make his decision based upon the fact that only one poster has recommended the automated wash as being safe and everyone else has recommended against it. The prudent person might wish to make note of that. Just sayin'. :cool:

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. JonWrong

JonWrong Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    For real. Don't ever drive a car through the car wash. If you can afford this car, pay a pro to wash it once a week.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Deputydog

Deputydog Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The issue is the soaps used at the car washes will ruin the matte paint finish and put swirls in it. Matte paint cannot be buffed or touched up or it will lose the matte finish and become shinny.

15. soundman5000

soundman5000 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have had damage from a automatic car wash on my older ( nothing special ) $4,000 car. I guess that damage gave me wisdom to know NOT to drive a $70,000 car into one of those scratch machines.

When you drive your Cat into one of those machines notice the disclaimer sign that states " we are not responsible for blah, blah blah"...Think about that as you hand the 16 year old " Carwash Engineer" your key!

• Funny Funny x 1