Satin Hood to be repainted next week

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by PlumCrazyHellCat, Apr 13, 2016.

1. PlumCrazyHellCat

PlumCrazyHellCat Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Looks like they haven't worked out the kinks in their painting process on the Satin hoods. Mine had a couple nibs in the pain and overall it looks like it was sprayed with a spray can. It has light and dark alternating strips on the hood for the full length of the hood. Chrysler gave the Ok to repaint it under warranty. It's headed to the paint shop on Monday.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Toolman_42

Toolman_42 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Good luck! Let's hope your local shop has the magic touch to make it right!

• Like Like x 1
  3. gts_2001

gts_2001 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    When I first took delivery of my Hellcat, I talked at length with the Body Shop manager at my dealership about having my hood painted satin black (Even though the car was ordered with the black hood, I was advised that the only way I could get the car was to take it without the black hood). The Body Shop manager and several of his painters advised against painting it for the same reasons...streaking, uneven color saturation, blotchiness, haziness, etc. Obviously this type of finish is very difficult and unpredictable to work with. Hope they solve if for you! (I opted to do the Matte Black 3M vinyl wrap but now have a Carbon Fiber hood on order from BWoody).

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. PlumCrazyHellCat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Do you think the problem is the hood being aluminum?

• Like Like x 1
  5. gts_2001

gts_2001 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Although I am no paint expert or have knowledge of paint adhesion issues with different metals, I can provide anecdotal information:

1. The Body Shop manager of which I spoke earlier described having the same issues when using the satin or flat black paint on other materials (he mentioned problems painting wooden book cases, speaker cabinets, and a folding metal table used by a DJ).

2. After owning 3 Vipers, I have heard stories about adhesion issues with painting plastic / fiberglass and composite materials (in these cases, typical high gloss colors were used - not satin or flat black).

My gut feeling is that it's not the aluminum that is the issue, it's the paint.

Hope this helps! :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  6. april77

april77 Naughty SheDevil Mod Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I am sorry that you are having to have the repaint done, and I hope they get it right this time! let us know how it turns out, please.

April

• Like Like x 1
  7. PlumCrazyHellCat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I looked at that carbon fiber hood you were talking about and was kind of disappointed. It appears to be a fiberglass hood with a top layer of carbon fiber to give it that carbon fiber look. For that price it should be all carbon fiber. I know the fiberglass content cannot be justified for strength since they make drive shafts out of 100% carbon fiber.

• Like Like x 1
  8. PlumCrazyHellCat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It is a concern when the factory can't get it right. As far as I know the painter plans on using Hot Rod Black for the repaint. I don't know the brand, but plan on asking. I wonder if there any particular brand that works better than others?

• Like Like x 1
  9. PlumCrazyHellCat

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks, I'm going to keep my fingers crossed for success.

• Like Like x 1
  10. gts_2001

gts_2001 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I agree with you in the sense that I'm not 100% thrilled with the hood (mainly because of the price - $1,799.99 - YIKES! I was hoping to get in on the group buy price of $1,399.99). Although I have had no issues with the 3M Vinyl, I believe (hope) that the Carbon Fiber will be more durable in the long run than the vinyl. In the end, you can't take it with you so go big or go home!