Saw My First Hellcat Today

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Blackdevil77, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Blackdevil77

Blackdevil77 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    My local dealer (Town and Country Dodge on Hempstead Turnpike in Levittown, Long Island, New York) has a Black Charger Hellcat in it's showroom for sale so I had to go check it out. They started the car, I heard it, I got to sit in it, I basically did everything except drive it. I thought I'd give my impressions for those of you that might be bored enough to read this, or those of you that even care.

First thing that struck me when I first saw it was the size. This car is freakin HUGE!!! And I love that :D I personally would of liked to see it in another color because the black really does hide the grille, vents and all the nostrils in the hood. A color like white would give it a really nice contrast. Overall on the exterior, I think it's a beautiful car and I really love it. Compared to my Shelby (don't hate me, I really am not car biased) I personally would give my Shelby the Edge. I can't really put my finger on why, but it just stands out more. It has a more "in your face" look and the looks of the Charger Hellcat is more like a sleeper. I may retract this opinion if I see it in another color that doesn't hide all the accents and vents, but from what I saw today, I'm leaning more towards a Challenger. I still have yet to see a Challenger Hellcat.

Interior is absolutely fantastic. My favorite is the steering wheel. I LOVE the way it feels in my giant bear paws. Interior quality is several steps above my Shelby. The leather wrapped center console, steering wheel, everything is very nicely done. They really hit the interior out of the park with these, I can't say enough good things about it from what I saw. If I absolutely had to nit pick, the only thing I would say is the plastic at the top of the inside of the door that you may rest your arm on is the same hard plastic that's in my Shelby. It just kind of feels cheap compared to the rest of the interior, but again that's REALLY nit picking. Overall, the interior is a home run. I absolutely love it!

Now, for the sound…
    [​IMG]
    I absolutely love and miss that sound! It really does remind me of my Pontiac G8 when I put long tube headers on it. I maintained composure until I heard it. It was then that I started giggling like a girl scout that just sold 12 boxes of cookies to old man, Jenkins. Unfortunately I didn't get to hear it accelerate, but I can only imagine how it would scream.

I thought seeing this would make my decision easier. It has actually made it harder. I still love my Shelby and I drove the Hell out of it today. It really is a fun car that (I think) looks fantastic. The Hellcat is on a completely other level when it comes to interior room and quality, which makes me really want it, I just don't know how the driving experience compares.

Which leads me to my next questions….

When do you think dealerships will let people test drive these, if ever? That's all I need to make a decision, really. I would love the opportunity to drive one. I know the numbers on paper, I know how the car sounds and looks inside and out now, all that's left is what you can't see or put numbers on. The feel of driving one. I'm 99% sure I'll be blown away from what I've read, but I'd still love to drive one. Hopefully I'll have my opportunity soon. As soon as I drive one, if it captivates me (most likely will), it's back to Dodge I go!

As far as the dealership and price of the car, the sticker is about 69k, and they have a 20k mark up on it. The salesman, Jason Mascia, who was very nice and showed me all around the car took down my name and phone number. He asked how close to sticker was I willing to do and I told him not a dollar off of sticker. He asked the sales manager and they are not willing to go below sticker yet, but he said he would call me if it sits for a while and they decide to sell for sticker. Anybody looking for a black Charger Hellcat, it may be worth calling them and leaving them your number and naming your price. They seemed willing to work with me.

Now I'm off to play lotto so I can possibly own both cars. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Sublime 70

Sublime 70 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You want to drive a Challenger Hellcat......I live near sea cliff ........if you can handle a 6 speed........lol J/K

• Like Like x 1
  3. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I got an eye cramp:(

• Funny Funny x 3
  4. Mtr

Mtr Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I couldn't agree more! I got the car in white and I did that specifically because I love the way the black grills contrast.

You should see a Challenger Hellcat in person before you make your purchase decision. It sounds like you might like it more. It's a more extroverted design. Still has the great interior features and also has a lot more room in the back seats than your Shelby.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I read the whole thing. Enjoyable! None will let you test a hellcat on the road. They treat it like Dodge Viper. Whoever does make that exception is either they REALLY trust you or they don't care about the hellcat.

6. Blackdevil77

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I apologize for inducing an optic migraine. I understand your pain, my eyes have been glued to these forums since I learned about the Hellcat.

Yeah, white has to look fantastic on the Charger. That and every car I've ever owned has been black. It's time to change it up, I think.

Yes, I definitely want to check out the Challenger, I'm almost certain I'm gonna love it. I would just love the opportunity to drive an A8 Hellcat to get acquainted with it. I just want to see how she feels. There are some things you just can't measure with numbers or see in pictures.

Anybody wanna lemme feel out their Hellcat :D I'll let you drive the Shelby:p:p:p

7. Sublime 70

Sublime 70 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    did you read my post? LOL

8. Blackdevil77

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks for the offer, I know I'd love the 6 speed, but I'm curious as to what the A8 is like to drive. If I go Hellcat, I gotta get the A8. That transmission is outrageous.

9. Blackdevil77

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Yes, sorry I was delayed in answering lol

10. Sublime 70

Sublime 70 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    ok, good luck!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Blackdevil77

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Yeah, I figured that. Hopefully I come across an opportunity to drive one. I don't have to nail it or anything, I know it's wickedly fast, just wanna get a feel for it.

12. Blackdevil77

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
  13. solo7777

solo7777 SRT Terminator Hellcat Car Club Western Regional President HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You need to see the Tor Red in the sunlight. Forget the green monster. This car was made for Red. And we all know Red is the fastest color. Lol.

14. Blackdevil77

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I'm hoping the New York Auto Show has a red one. Most likely they will, I love what red looks like on these cars from the pictures.

15. Blackdevil77

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    And now I just saw my first Hellcat Charger on the road in grey. It's a sign I tell you!