Scientists Use Super-Strong Bacteria to Produce 24K Gold

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Carnage, May 12, 2015.

1. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Source science daily - some day gold will be worth less.

Scientists Use Super-Strong Bacteria to Produce 24K Gold
    [​IMG]Gold Nugget photo from Shutterstock

A team of Michigan State Universityresearchers have discovered a bacterium that has the ability to withstand incredible amounts of toxicity to create 24-karat gold. This process, known as microbial alchemy, will help scientists turn a substance of no value into a solid, precious metal.

[​IMG]

The team was led by Kazem Kashefi, assistant professor of microbiology and molecular genetics. Working along with Adam Brown, associate professor of electronic art and intermedia, the team discovered that the metal-tolerant bacteria Cupriavidus metallidurans can grow on massive concentrations of gold chloride – or liquid gold, a toxic chemical compound found in nature.

According to the research team, the bacteria is at least 25 times stronger than previously reported. They also combined their research with an art installation called “The Great Work of the Metal Lover”, which uses a combination of biotechnology, art and alchemy to turn liquid gold into 24-karat gold. The sculpture contains a portable laboratory, a glass bioreactor and the bacteria, which produce gold in front of an audience.

Brown and Kashefi fed the bacteria unprecedented amounts of gold chloride and within a week the bacteria transformed the toxins into a gold nugget. “This is neo-alchemy. Every part, every detail of the project is a cross between modern microbiology and alchemy,” Brown said. “Science tries to explain the phenomenological world. As an artist, I’m trying to create a phenomenon. Art has the ability to push scientific inquiry.”

It would be extremely expensive to duplicate the process on a larger scale, so instead Brown said that the work should be used to “raise questions about greed, economy and environmental impact, focusing on the ethics related to science and the engineering of nature.”

“Art has the ability to probe and question the impact of science in the world, and ‘The Great Work of the Metal Lover’ speaks directly to the scientific preoccupation while trying to shape and bend biology to our will within the postbiological age,” Brown said.

+ Michigan State University

Via Science Daily

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Nycsrt

Nycsrt BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Impressive but I can't sell my
    Gold yet I'm Jewish ;) image.jpg

3. Nycsrt

Nycsrt BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Buy low sell high get high waiting for it go
    Back to 2k an oz

4. Colorado Hellcat

Colorado Hellcat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    You might get your wish here soon.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Shake&Bake

Shake&Bake Back to (1) Club?

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Whats your address? And are you still at the beach? I need a new watch and some gold

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Nycsrt

Nycsrt BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Lol I'm good I can give u my address but that's in bank safety deposit so good luck plus I bite lol lol lol lol

7. Nycsrt

Nycsrt BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hope so I prey for that also got mad silver just collecting and waiting on the rush

8. BKuz

BKuz Retired American Fighting Man

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Ocean waters do hold gold – nearly 20 million tons of it. However, if you were hoping make your fortune mining the sea, consider this: Gold in the ocean is so dilute that its concentration is on the order of parts per trillion. Each liter of seawater contains, on average, about 13 billionths of a gram of gold.

BKuz

9. Nycsrt

Nycsrt BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You nailed it your pretty smart