Second engine oil change and first rear diff oil change

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Maintenance' started by SRT_HC_707, May 19, 2015.

1. SRT_HC_707

SRT_HC_707 SRT_HC_707 Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I just came in from some quality time with my cat LOL.

I did the first oil change at 500 miles. Yesterday on the way home from my Monday cruise night destination I turned 1500 miles.

Today I did the second engine oil change and filter. Used the Pennzoil Ultra 0W40 and SRT filter again... Some observations

• Now that I've done it once I can drop the belly pan in 5 minutes
    • No leaks noted anywhere. I gave it a good once over with a flashlight. Drains, oil cooler lines, gasket areas, coolant hoses etc. Dry as a bone as it should be
    • No oil burned in 1K miles since the last change
    The oil cooler drain plug threaded in much nicer than the first time. You can DEFINITELY install the EZDrain or Fumoto valve in place of the oil drain plug BUT there is one caveot. You need to disconnect the oil line to the opposite end of the cooler. This will allow you to move the line out of the way (it's rubber in the middle so it will be easy to move) to screw the EZ Drain in (tagging B5 Blue here as he asked about this) It uses a Jiffy fitting so you either need the tool or a small screw driver. I opted not to put the EZ Drain in this time because my oil line fittings are BONE dry and I don't want to take a chance and cause a leak (shouldn't but I dont want to chance it). Also, the drain plug is much better now that it's been in and out of the aluminum housing twice. EZ Drain/Fumoto will not work on the oil pan (but I don't think you need one there). You would have to remove the steering rack to get it in there and I don't think there would be enough clearance between the rack and the pan to put the rack back!

I bought some fleabay plastic clips for the belly pan (spares). They are not an exact duplicate (the head is slightly different -- I like them better) but they fit perfectly. I haven't broken a clip yet but wanted some spares on hand. If anyone wants the fleabay vendor I'll get you a link (dude is in China but shipping was quick and the clips where cheap vs. $4 each from Mopar).

Rear Diff.... I used 1.2 quarts of Amsoil Severe Gear 75W90 GL5 Synthetic (recommended grade of oil). Very simple drain and fill. The diff oil was MUCH cleaner than I'm used to seeing on a brand new car. No visible metal in the oil and quite clean. Even cleaner now that I changed it LOL. Fill and drain torque spec is 26 ft. lb. They used a beveled head on the drain and fill (no crush washers). Seem to seal well as there was no weeping around the plugs.

Best part was the 10 mile rip I went for after I did the work! ;) Puts a smile on my face everytime I go for a drive.

Last edited: May 20, 2015
    • Like Like x 5
    • Useful Useful x 2
  2. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Am I missing something here? What's up with all these 500 mile, 1,000 oil changes. 10K is the Mopar recommended mileage? I of course would never go that long but 3K is what I'm looking at time wise on mine and the probably every 5K afterwards. And change the rear diff?
    Someone help me out here please. Is there something with the oil I don't know about or some other reason for all this rush to change the oil?
    Actually anyone on LI doing a 500 mile oil change and has a clean drain pan and willing to save it I'll take it and use it for my first oil change, keep the filter too:) save me some money.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. SRT_HC_707

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    No need. Just my preference. I did 500 then 1500. Next one probably at 5000 (if I can wait that long LOL) then I'll probably go 5K.

I like to drain out any break in wear metals early. At the end of the day if you just follow Dodge's recommendation your motor will probably last as long as any other. I enjoy working on my car and I'm a serial fluid changer LOL.

Last edited: May 19, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. RPM Junkie

RPM Junkie Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Hey Green Hornet what is the "SRT" filter? I've heard about people requesting the "Viper" filter from parts, a premium filter? I'm ready to do oil & filter at the dealer and want to specify the best oil filter I can. No, I couldn't make it on Monday! Darn.

5. SRT_HC_707

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The SRT filter is what people call the Viper filter.

OE filter is 04884899AB and the Mopar Performance SRT filter (referred to as the Viper filter but Dodge says it's good for all SRT vehicles) is 5038041AA

I cut open the OE filter that came on the car and it looks well built to me. I'm going to cut open the SRT filter I just removed some time this week when I have time.

The SRT filter is made in Poland and appears to be a WIX filter. Construction on both OE and SRT appear to be very good to me. The SRT filter is a bit heavier. I can't find any specs on the SRT filter online. The media is what really matters but no way for me to know the differences (but probably safe to assume the SRT has the better media).

In my unprofessional opinion both filters look well made to me and I would use either one. Once I hack up the SRT filter I'll post some pictures of both side-by-side.

Next time you hit Mark's let me know. There is no cruise on Memorial day (this coming Monday). This time we have to meet outside and cruise in together! I found a good meeting spot.

• Useful Useful x 2
  6. RPM Junkie

RPM Junkie Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Great information. You are the man! Yes, let's meet for Marks and roll in deep. Thx, RPM

7. Nycsrt

Nycsrt BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Don't feel bad I'm on my fourth oil change in 2300 miles we have oil change disorder it's common when you love ur car

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    SRT_HC_707 what was the rear end plug thread size?

9. Bluestreak

Bluestreak Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I'm only kidding. The way I'm driving my HC Charger I am already overdue at 1100 miles but everyone has there preferences. What I'm really curious to know, does the end of the drain plug have a magnetic tip and if so was anything stuck to it? If you say yes, maybe it is time for dump and fill? How about those zirk fittings, were there a lot of them under there also? Ball joints, outer rods anywhere to put grease on this thing other than the door hinges? If you say no than I might change my muffler bearings at 2500 miles if I can dig am out of that tailpipe.
    I just thought of something else, I have summer tires but I got the car in the winter. Should I take the winter air out and put summer air in? Winter air can be very dense and might be the reason for my hard ride. Hummm? Oh well, so much to learn.:(

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. SRT_HC_707

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    LOL. I measured it as I knew somebody would ask. Drain and fill are same size. I'll check today and post.

NOTE!!! The plug has a beveled sealing edge rather than a crush washer. If you are thinking magnetic plug you will need to find one that has the beveled edge. It's not your every day off the shelf plug. I'm sure somebody makes one (or you can get one made) but just want to let you know.

11. SRT_HC_707

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    No magnets on any of the plugs (engine, oil cooler or drain). No zerk fittings at all. All the front end components are sealed non-greaseable (no worries this stuff lasts as long or longer than the greaseable stuff).

12. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    You mean pipe thread and all domestics use that or did. Used to have a magnet on the rear diff cover on the inside. I assume this is all aluminum now. Does it have a cover on the diff?

13. SRT_HC_707

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    No Diff Cover. It's an aluminum, finned housing. Looks rather German LOL.

It's not a pipe plug/thread. The drain and fill plugs are M16x1.50 and 12mm long from the base of the seat area to the end of the threads. The under head portion of the plug (where a crush washer would sit) is beveled (45 degrees, 60 degrees -- I dunno) and the housing has the matching bevel. Screw it in, torque it to 26 ft. lb. and done.

No idea if there is a magnet inside or not (hope there is).

Was out in the car this AM on the way to work. Seems to like the Amsoil Severe Gear 75W90 GL5 fluid. No noise, limited slip works great. I've always had very good luck with this particular gear oil. I never have to add any friction modifier either (has some in it already).

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I dunno if it needs friction modifier. fnkychkn owners manual doesn't say anything about it do you know? And it looks German cuz it is a ZF;)

15. SRT_HC_707

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Is the rear end made by ZF too? I didn't know that. I did say it looked German though LOL. Worked on enough German cars to know what a German diff looks like ;)

I'm not saying it needs friction modifier. Just saying that the Amsoil Severe Gear as is out of the bottle works perfectly.

Is this a clutch type limited slip or something else?