Self control...

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by 16SRT, Mar 3, 2016.

1. 16SRT

16SRT VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    So, for those with difficulty exhibiting 100% self-control, how much would one excursion up into 6000 RPM territory hurt an engine with less than 100 miles on it? Manual says 3500 RPM max, but I did punch it once yesterday, and ended up well past that number pretty quickly. I don't intend to romp on it too much until I hit the 500 mile mark, but how concerned should one be about one or two excursions up toward redline territory at say 45 miles on the odometer?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  2. usmc341

usmc341 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Don't sweat it. That engine has already been there for 42 minutes during dyno testing. What you're really breaking in is the drivetrain. Stay away from doing donuts for the first 500 and you'll be fine

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Paladin06

Paladin06 Have Guns Will Travel Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I would highly recommend following the break in instructions. Keep in mind you driving habits are recorded and that could create an issue for any warranty claim.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Tazman

Tazman Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    500 miles isn't squat if you really want to get it done. Only took me like 3 days of evening drives after work. Take the family out to eat in a far off town or something. You can rack up that 500 quicker than you think.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. 16SRT

16SRT VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Thanks for the replies, guys. Tazman, you're right about racking up miles, but it's been a busy week of work all day, and business meetings or running kids to sports each night. All very local driving, unfortunately.

Does the SRT 392 get the same 42 minutes on the dyno? For some reason, I just assumed that was only a Hellcat thing.

edit: Paladin06, yes I agree we should endeavor to adhere to the break-in schedule. However, seeing on the instrument display that someone at the dealership actually romped on this in the hour between it coming off the truck and me picking it up, I don't think anyone will have any basis for warranty rejection, if it comes down to it. I've never heard of anyone being rejected a warranty claim based on adherence to break-in recommendations, nor was the dealer even familiar with them.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  6. usmc341

usmc341 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I think the engine dyno is for the 6.2 only.

7. nycAirSpeed

nycAirSpeed Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    - Apparently the break-in argument continues... Drive it like ya stole it, or follow the manufactures procedure. -
    - USMC341 is correct for the Hellcat, yet I believe what I read/heard is 42 min. @ 85% load to 3500 rpm; they used to Dyno the Apache 392s before the Hellcat, don't know if that is done any longer -
    - I hope Paladin06 is only partially right, & that only mileage & errors are recorded & played back to the diagnostic thingie they plug in every time I roll into Dodge service; but I know that such things as an exact count of peak & how many times your engine has made a revolution since its birth can be part of the displayed & storable info, as it is & can be displayed in the current Chevy 'Vette -
    - Keeping in mind that the break-in period also includes restrictions for the benefit of the rest of your driveline, such as don't slam the brakes, driving a new car like you stole it makes little sense to me, unless you stole it, & or ya don't care -
    - If you have no imitate noticeable damage, I'd say your lucky, & to learn the self control to not do it again, as you seem to concerned over the consequences when you do -
    :rolleyes:

8. PlumCrazyHellCat

PlumCrazyHellCat Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Actually it run for 42 minutes at 90% load at 5200 RPM. That was said by Chris Cowland the man that oversees the SRT program. Below is a link to an interview he did with HotRod magazine.

24 Questions With Chris Cowland

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  9. ArizonaGasMonkey

ArizonaGasMonkey Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I am fixing to put 2,000 miles on mine I will let you know how it holds up LOL

10. ArizonaGasMonkey

ArizonaGasMonkey Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I am fixing to put 2,000 miles on mine I will let you know how it holds up LOL

11. Paladin06

Paladin06 Have Guns Will Travel Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I know of a Hellcat that had a engine warranty rejected due to owner abuse. I'm just saying.

12. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i would follow what Dodge tells you....they put it in writing for a reason...
    will it damage your engine/power train a tiny bit? maybe...why risk anything.....

at 50,000 miles my car may have 20 more HP than yours from beating on a 100 mile engine

i held back and did as dodge instructs......i did not however keep my speed low....i drove it 3 hours from the dealership at 55-85 mph....i kept switching gears manually to vary the engines rpm....i think the manual says keep it under 45 mph...which is pretty much impossible unless you break it in with city driving....

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. 16SRT

16SRT VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Definitely don't intend any more excursions above the recommended RPM. This was sort of a surprise, actually. Had a friend in the car, and wanted to get on it just a little off a stop, and it spooled up quicker than I had anticipated. One-time hit up into the 6000+ RPM territory.

14. BIG DAWG

BIG DAWG Hellcat, 1st Florida Cavalry Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC National Exec. Director HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Fear not! You're in great shape...

15. Dragon

Dragon Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    drive it like you want....its yours.....
    this motor is on a dyno for 42 minuets before its installed in the car......

another thought instead of a traction control button maybe we need a self control button????

• Funny Funny x 1