Self Driving Cars?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Confuzed2, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Confuzed2

Confuzed2 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I keep hearing on the radio about how they are in development, adding mega sensors to cars in order to drive themselves. I'd assume there would need to be some sort of infrastructure in place before this ever becomes a reality - like sensors (or something) on/in the roads or alongside the road.

If/when this ever comes around, I'm thinking it's going to simply kill off the car hobby altogether....and some guys are concerned about A8 vs M6 and being in control!!!.....thoughts?

2. Bandit

Bandit Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    It's already here. The Teslas now have what they call "autopilot". You can see videos of people using it on YouTube. The government took a while to give Tesla the approvals, but they flipped the switch in October or November I believe.

3. Bandit

Bandit Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The decades-long rumors and dreams of this always talked about needing to build an infrastructure that required sensors and stuff, but Tesla was able to do it without all of that. It's the car that reads the road and signs instead of having the road "tell" the car what to do.

4. Bandit

Bandit Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
  5. Confuzed2

Confuzed2 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    So GPS isn't involved? My understanding is that you'll be able to just punch in where you want to go, and it'll automatically take you there. Tesla does that already?

EDIT: Just saw your post and link:
    "This combined suite of features represents the only fully integrated autopilot system involving four different feedback modules: camera, radar, ultrasonics, and GPS."

-Guess it'll be much more critical to have a up-to-date GPS on board. It's all fun until it drives you off a cliff!

So if this catches on, they'll be these huge lines of bumper to bumper traffic taking up the highway I suppose....all in auto mode!

6. Dragon

Dragon Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    the Google car is out and has been on the road testing for 10+ years now. this is coming and it will happen sooner then you think.

7. Bandit

Bandit Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

Multiple cameras, radar, ultrasonics, and GPS are used by the car to do the driving and steering.

8. Bandit

Bandit Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

As I already posted... it's not happening soon, it's already a reality.

9. Confuzed2

Confuzed2 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    In the link, it says it can't read stop signs or stop lights yet so it's still in development. I'm sure they'll get that dialed in. I did notice how close he has his hands next to the wheel....guess it's not fully trustworthy yet!

-And I've heard about the Google car too! Maybe that's the one that picks up sensors in the road? I guess my only concern is that no self driving car will be able to predict what a normal non self driving car will do....i.e make a left turn in front of you, etc....

So will our government eventually mandate that everyone must have a self drive car? Guess we'll see...

I guess I'm "Stirring the pot" a little here. I can say myself...I don't like it at all. Another freedom lost of being behind the wheel and in control. Just stamp numbers on our foreheads and load us up in pods to take us all to work, home etc...

10. Zebug

Zebug Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    doesn't matter if a non self driver pulls in front of you as long as physics gives you enough time to stop. The sensors will pick up that a moron pulled out in front of you and start to stop you before you even realize what's going on. Lots of cars already have the thing where it stops for you in case of something on the road as well as lane adjustment technology (not sure what the name is) where if you start to drift out of your lane it will put you back in the center of the lane.

I'd love for it to take off as long as we also take control and drive....I just want to be able to have sex while driving/riding down the road to and from work.

11. MoparProud

MoparProud Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    They can pry my manual-drive cars/trucks from my cold, dead hands. I will never, NEVER, have a self-driver.

Never.