Semi-perminant blacked-out side reflectors tutorial

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Appearance' started by stoneipa, Oct 24, 2015.

1. stoneipa

stoneipa Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Like many, I couldn't stand the yellow reflectors up front on my white hellcat. Don't mind the red in the rear but when I saw some people tinting both, I decided to black out both front and rear to create a nice uniform look. I don't care about the function of the lights but I didn't want to disconnect them in case it triggers some annoying code down the line. So I opted for a full blackout.

After some searching, I came across some black matte stick on vinyl at Autozone that covers the lights really well. It's a bit like electrical tape but tougher and matte. Completely removable too if you mess up or want to remove it later.

[​IMG]

You can cover just the outside of the light which looks great during the day but unfortunately at night some light escapes the sides and it looks terrible.So it is best to pop out the reflectors and completely cover the font and sides of the unit entirely to block out all the light.

[​IMG]

All but the front driver side reflectors are easy to pop out from underneath the car or in the engine bay. Do them first to get a feel for the clipping mechanism. The clip is on left side of the reflector below and it needs to be pushed in towards the right to remove the reflector.

[​IMG]

Onward to the front driver side reflector.

After much contorting in the engine bay and in the wheel well, I eventually figured out that I could get my arm between the two underside pieces and reach up to the reflector clip. This only took removing one small bolt and two multi-use rivet things. It hurts like hell but there doesn't seem to be an easier way than this without pulling out tons of single-use plastic rivets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once you have the reflector out, clean it. Take your vinyl tape and peel back a portion of the liner. Align the reflector to the tape to ensure the perimeter has a 1cm border. Adhere the tape with the portion of the liner removed.

[​IMG]

Work the tape from one side to the other by progressively peeling back the liner and following with pressure on the frontside. This helps avoid bubbles.

[​IMG]

Complete the front and begin working on the sides. The corners can be pulled taught to avoid seems as much as possible. They don't have to be perfect though. Even with a few seems the become invisible once it is back in place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the backside and completed reflector.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Slip the reflector back and and you're done. No light leaks whatsoever.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1o.JPG 1a.JPG 1b.JPG 1c.JPG 1e.JPG 1f.JPG 1g.JPG 1h.JPG 1i.JPG 1k.JPG 1j.JPG 1l.JPG 1m.JPG 1n.JPG 1.JPG 1a.JPG 1b.JPG 1c.JPG 1e.JPG 1f.JPG 1g.JPG 1h.JPG 1i.JPG 1k.JPG 1j.JPG 1l.JPG 1m.JPG 1n.JPG 1.JPG
    1o.JPG

2. CNYHC

CNYHC SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I suppose it's a lot safer not to be seen at night...

3. Sean99

Sean99 Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have a black HC and actually like having a reflective marker on the side for night time driving. Better to be seen than T-boned.

4. rayzazoo

rayzazoo DRIVESRT.COM Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Not bad.

I do prefer the yellows. They have a honeycomb effect to them in the dark.

image.jpeg

5. Hemi Rocket

Hemi Rocket Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    So the black actually lets light through?