seriously saw hellcats for $102,000

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Purchasing' started by carcass, Oct 21, 2015.

1. carcass

carcass SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    holy smokes 102 thousand on cars.com

2. White Trash

White Trash BMF Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member HCC National Vice Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Not surprised at all.
    Its a supply and demand market for these cars.
    Tim K himself says he will not step in and make a dealer sell for MSRP.
    The dealer purchases the HC from FCA at that point they can do what they want with it as far as price goes.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    His winter I think I will go out every day and insert dollar bills between the hood cracks...at makes it worth more and can be another piggy bank. Love it!

Last night drove it up to get a burger after I was reading the $102,000 post and kept telling Roadstar how great she is. Had a guy offer me a new red 2016 as an even swap! Apparently he wants a Jazz and just got a red on red A8, with a black hood.

• Like Like x 2
  4. carcrazyguy

carcrazyguy Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    For $102,000 I might consider selling..... But then again where would I find another 100 mile sublime A8 that has been pampered since day one?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    $102k is simply retarded. There are like-new, fully loaded Z06/07s in the 80s now. I love the HCs, but come on. Anyone spending over $70k is nuts.
    Chevrolet : Corvette Z06 Z07

If someone is going to spend that kind of cash at least let someone else take the first depreciation hit of $15-20k ....

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Burt, I can load my clubs and my wife's in the trunk along with a cooler and other stuff, then on the way to the course if that Corvette wants to play, they probably get beat. I went and played with them on a road course, they did not look so superior as the rumors would like us to believe. How many Vettes are on the road? How many Hellcats? Can you order a '16 HC for $xx?? I could sell mine, I am not using it all winter, could I score another one before March for cheaper? Doubt it.

How is $102,000 retarded? Why is that a problem?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. carcrazyguy

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Supply and demand 101....

Want a Vette? There are plenty out there in just about any configuration you want.

Want a Hellcat? You better hope you don't want the 1 of 1 combos. I guess you could try to order a car of your personal tastes but you better hope to find a dealer that has an allocation. Then on top of that you better hope that Dodge gets it built for you which some people can tell you first hand, that you may or may not get your order filled. On top of all that you have to hope your dealer doesn't decide to play games and keep the car for himself, his wife or play the bidding game and try to sell it out from under you if someone is willing to pay more than you agreed to. Once the car is ordered and going through VON/VIN hell....the dealer has a LOT of time to try to hook a bigger fish.......

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. 70Cuda

70Cuda Yep, its got a HEMI

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I will take 2 ( not )

9. JonWrong

JonWrong Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I went to the Corvette plant in Bowling Green, KY for a tour on vacation two weeks ago. We sprung for the VIP tour ($200), and it was really cool. That being said, vettes are not rare at all. They are building 170 a day. And every fourth or fifth one I saw was a z06. If they build cars for only 3/4 of the year, that is more than 46,000 cars.

I thought 170 a day was a lot until we also went to the Rouge F-150 plant in Michigan. They build 1,200 F-150s a day, one every 54 seconds.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Burt Gummer

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    First, the Z06 is a 2.9 sec car. The ZO6 walks the HC. It should be able to do that obviously having only a 57 HP deficit and a whopping 900 lbs lighter, superior aerodynamics and handling.

Paying $102k for a HC is like paying $204k for a Z06 - in both examples - stupid. (A properly loaded Z06 is a $102k car - or in the mid-high 80s for like new examples now).

The HC is a great car no doubt, but anyone who has or would pay a $40k 'gotta have' tax on a car (to enrich a greedy stealership or Ebay seller) is a financially careless person. $102k being worth $50 in two years. Maybe others are OK with taking a hit like that - people with millions to toss into the air.

An example would be the XKR-S WITHOUT any ADM at $137k just 2-3 years ago, now a $70k car.

With very rare exceptions, cars are never wise financial investments to begin with at all.

An HC at a fair price - MSRP - is as good a deal on a new car as just about anything else. It is this bloated ADM nonsense and people paying $10k over that is nauseating.

Two years from now a loaded Z06 and a HC will be near the same on the used market. One is a very nice car, the other at that supercar next level.

".... if that Corvette wants to play, they probably get beat ..." Umm, no.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. carcrazyguy

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Apples and oranges any way you look at. Some people just don't like one or the other. If the corvette was 800 hp, I still would not own one. I own old Mopars and new ones. There are probably 100 street cars here in town that are faster than a Hellcat. Does that change what I like? Nope. Before I bought a Corvette (and the hat, shirt and jacket that is required to go with it), I would get a Viper. But then again that would be spending ~$100k.

12. ManicMechanicMD

ManicMechanicMD Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I'll trade mine straight up for a new Hellcat Grand Cherokee. Provided they don't mess it up. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Burt Gummer

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Not pro-Z06 over HC. Just trying to point out why a HC at $100k+ is indeed 'retarded' for any fiscally responsible individual. At MSRP - yes - HC is fantastic.

• Like Like x 1
  14. rayzazoo

rayzazoo DRIVESRT.COM Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Waiting over a year from order to delivery for our 'cat was interesting.

Looking back now, I wouldn't have been opposed to 5k or so over sticker for an eBay buy if it meant not having to go through the allocation nut roll. Then again, having waited, I do have the same car for $5,000 less.

The vette (great car btw) is nice but I know their engine is definitely having heat issues at the track.

The hellcat's problem is traction... Then again, not really a bad thing in burnout mode.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. carcrazyguy

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Those sells are not aimed to the average Joe. They are fishing for A-listers that might be in the market. Someone is in hopes that they can catch lightning in a bottle. You see one go through a major auction house for say 90k. Add the buyers premium and you are nearly to 100k......so you can always ask whatever you want.