Shift rpm ?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by GrndFnk, Feb 4, 2016.

1. GrndFnk

GrndFnk VIP Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Stock. A8. Wish these had a playback.
    Questions :
    \Where does it typically shift in full auto ?
    What is optimum using paddles ?
    Where is the rev limiter set ?
    Thanks.

EDIT: A side note...my '16 didn't come with a double clamp on the top radiator connection....what was the deal with the '15's out of curiosity...didn't the radiator fitting have a shoulder on it ?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  2. Toolman_42

Toolman_42 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    shift points vary with mode...street, sport, track. Wild to mild and back again. ECO mode will soften it out even more.
    Track is aggressive with extremely crisp shifts keeping rpms up and will also downshift fairly aggressively. Sport backs off from that a bit. Street is your easy mode.
    NOTE: All modes will have aggressive downshifts under 3/4 to WOT even ECO
    You can suppliment auto with paddles or use manual mode to get full control
    Check your Tach...redline is redlined but traction control might also weigh in if you're having too much fun.

• Like Like x 1
  3. GrndFnk

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I should re-phrase my question to: what is the "optimum" shift rpm on a stocker for best quarter mile performance ?
    Looks like I will start with using track mode shift/ sport TC / street suspension....is the plan with a driveshaft and drag radials using the monkey see monkey do formula for go fast.
    Paddle shift if need be depending on what will give the best results. Seems the HP curve keeps climbing past 6K according to a few dyno curves I have looked at. Even tho a dyno is just a relative thing that part of it seems to be consistent from dyno to dyno.
    Thanks Toolman

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  4. huggytree

huggytree Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i used Auto stick on my A5 2011 SRT.....ive never used the paddles or autostick once on the HC....i think in Sport mode the car does it all for you...i dont think you can improve on the stock shift points....Dodge actually did this car right.....their A5 really sucked w/ shifting....the A8 is flawless

• Like Like x 1
  5. usmc341

usmc341 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Rule of thumb is you want it as close to the limiter as you can without hitting it. You are correct this car is still building power well past the 6200 fuel cutoff. Most guys just put it in D, track mode and you're good to go. I wish there was an option to raise the limiter to 6500.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Aarcuda

Aarcuda Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    optimum shift point is right before the engine cuts out!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. GrndFnk

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks for the replies, all good info..... On my '09 SRT there were a couple hidden screens someone found and I can't remember what they are at the moment... and I wouldn't be all that surprised if there was a hidden playback function to watch it go thru the gears so we could see the actual shift points .....You can bet if there was a warranty dispute they would come up with one...magically :(

8. GrndFnk

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The red line on my tach is 5750. The 2 dollar question I have is where does it actually shift in track mode/auto..It would be reasonable to assume 5750 but it is not a given, ..A user accessible playback function would be a real nice flash/update to have at some point.

9. Racist Cat

Racist Cat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    When I am horsing around in manual mode, I am always hitting the rev limiter.

The engine just doesn't seem like it wants to shift yet. There's more power to be had in the higher rpm.

When I'm racing, I usually manually shift 1-2, and maybe 2-3 depending on traction. After that it's auto mode.

• Like Like x 1
  10. GrndFnk

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    [QUOTE="Racist Cat]When I am horsing around in manual mode, I am always hitting the rev limiter.
    The engine just doesn't seem like it wants to shift yet. There's more power to be had in the higher rpm.
    When I'm racing, I usually manually shift 1-2, and maybe 2-3 depending on traction. After that it's auto mode.[/QUOTE]

I want to get my ducks in a row here being this functions so much differently than my '09.
    So, correct me if i am wrong, you tend to keep the shift lever in M then after the 2-3 you bump it over to the right and let it go
    auto ?
    Another question I have is how quick do the paddles respond to a command ?
    Thanks

11. Racist Cat

Racist Cat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The paddle shift is completed the moment you squeeze them. Before your finger can release the paddle the next gear is engaged solid.

Correct. I put the shifter in M, and feather out 1st, usually short shifting to 2nd, then get on the throttle real heavy, and if the ground is loose, I'll somewhat short shift 3rd, and go wot, and then reach down and bump the shifter to auto.

I drive my car in Manual mode 99% of the time, and with traction control off.

There is no mushiness in the Trans. Feels like a manual when shifting and decelerating. If you catch the rom right on he downshifts you can get some pretty good exhaust rumble and minor backfire.

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. GrndFnk

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Good info.
    I have a set of 10 x 17 Welds that I think I will put the 28.1 tall 305 Street R's on and pick up the shorter rear links from HHP.
    The goal is to be able to leave the line with the peddle to the wood.

13. Racist Cat

Racist Cat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You will need some other drivetrain miss to be able to do that. Too much power in 1st gear

• Like Like x 1
  14. GrndFnk

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have an aluminum driveshaft on the list.. I like the CF but the heat down there may get near the endurance threshold in the summer months, plus I wonder about
    stones bouncing around occasionally and nicking it. Probably non-issues but you never know. I like the idea of the CF absorbing some of the shock when you launch hard.

15. Racist Cat

Racist Cat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I haven't tried it yet, but ice heard some people have bett er luck launching in 2nd.