SHIFTING PROBLEM!!

Discussion in 'Dodge Charger SRT 392' started by ufoldfirst, Jun 20, 2015.

1. ufoldfirst

ufoldfirst Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    1400 miles on my 2015 Charger 392, last week started having problem with paddle shifting...

I like to use manual shifting quite often, mostly to slow down a little rather than extra braking and brake dust.

Lately, I noticed the transmission took a while to catch up when leaving a stop sign or going around a turn at low speeds. As a Chrysler certified auto technician decades ago, I've only experienced that kind of symptoms with low transmission fluids. That shouldn't have anything to do with the electronic shifting...
    Now what really bothers me is about 40% of the time when UPSHIFTING using the right/+ paddle shifter, the transmission will DOWNSHIFT!
    This is happening at low speeds or cruising speeds. It doesn't matter what drive mode it's in, light throttle or medium, just starting to piss me off now. Driving in residential areas, I-5 and I-84 in Portland yesterday, etc... shifting from 2nd to 3rd and it goes to 1st! ARRRGGGH!!!

Has anybody experienced this or read about it? I did a search in this forum and haven't seen anything. It is very frustrating, and annoying when driving through my neighborhood especially.
    I wanted to get some feedback from car owners like you before I grind into FCA and my dealer(who by the way I won't let even touch my oil filter).

Thanks!

• Useful Useful x 1
  2. Misterdhdt

Misterdhdt Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    2300 miles on mine and lots old spirited runs and like you use the paddle shifters quite a bit. I haven't had any issues you described above. Think you are in need of trip to dealer to have it inspected. But I would keep an eye on the radiator. Mine and friend have both had ours replaced due to leaking on the passenger side

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Time for paddles

4. SRT_HC_707

SRT_HC_707 SRT_HC_707 Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    At least one other person had the issue with up-shifting via paddle causing a downshift...

Tagging fnkychkn he may have some helpful input....

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. SRT_HC_707

SRT_HC_707 SRT_HC_707 Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    More than one. Good thing I'm ancient and use the shifter right HellcatdotClub :D:D:p

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. DocOz

DocOz Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Quit "requesting" a shift from your A8. Just trade it in for an M6.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. fnkychkn

fnkychkn swollen member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    the wiring diagram seems to contradict the operation description. i'll have to look into that.
    since the request signal is bussed from the left steering wheel EVIC switch module all the way to the radio, you can pretty much eliminate those circuits as possible causes. don't have access to paddle/radio switch resistance specs but i would concentrate my efforts in testing the hardwired circuits inside the steering wheel between the paddle/radio switches and the EVIC switch and/or SCCM (steering column control module). any excessive resistance in these circuits will affect voltage drop detected by the module. we have been having issues with steering wheel mounted switch circuits for a couple of years. mostly from poor connections.

from FSM:

WITH PADDLE SHIFT

REMOTE RADIO SWITCHES

The remote radio switches on the backs of both horizontal steering wheel spokes are normally open, resistor multiplexed momentary switches that are hard wired to the left steering wheel switch module (electronic vehicle information center switch). The left steering wheel switch module contains a microcontroller and is a Local Interface Network (LIN) data bus slave node. The left steering wheel switch microcontroller provides a shared five volt signal and monitors shared returns from both remote radio switches. The left steering wheel switch microcontroller senses the status of the remote radio switches by reading the voltage drop on the signal circuit.

When the left steering wheel switch microcontroller senses an input (voltage drop) from any one of the remote radio switches, it communicates the switch status message via the LIN bus and through the clockspring and Steering Column Control Module (SCCM) microcontroller, which is a gateway to the Controller Area Network (CAN) data bus. The CAN bus then broadcasts switch status information over the CAN bus to the audio system. The electronic circuitry within the audio system is programmed to respond to these remote radio switch status messages by adjusting the audio settings as requested.

PADDLE SHIFT SWITCHES

The paddle shift switches in the two remote radio switch units are normally open, resistor multiplexed momentary switches that are hard wired to the left steering wheel switch module (electronic vehicle information center switch). The left steering wheel switch module contains a microcontroller and is a Local Interface Network (LIN) data bus slave node. The left steering wheel switch microcontroller provides a shared five volt signal and monitors shared returns from both paddle shift switches. The left steering wheel switch microcontroller senses the status of the paddle shift switches by reading the voltage drop on the signal circuit.

When the left steering wheel switch microcontroller senses an input (voltage drop) from either of the paddle shift switches, it communicates the switch status message via the LIN bus and through the clockspring and Steering Column Control Module (SCCM) microcontroller, which is a gateway to the Controller Area Network (CAN) data bus. The CAN bus then broadcasts switch status information to the Transmission Control Module (TCM) communicating driver request for transmission upshift or downshift.

The hard wired circuits between the remote radio switches or the paddle shift switches and the left steering wheel switch may be diagnosed using conventional diagnostic tools and procedures. Refer to the appropriate wiring information. The wiring information includes wiring diagrams, proper wire and connector repair procedures, details of wire harness routing and retention, connector pin out information and location views for the various wire harness connectors, splices and grounds.

However, conventional diagnostic methods will not prove conclusive in the diagnosis of the remote radio switches, the paddle shift switches or the electronic communication between modules that provide the features of the remote radio switches and paddle shift switches. The most reliable, efficient and accurate means to diagnose the remote radio switches, the paddle shift switches or the electronic communication related to remote radio switch and paddle shift switch operation requires the use of a diagnostic scan tool. Refer to the appropriate diagnostic information.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yep you are so ancient bro LOL

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Unlike LOL

11. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I agree and would think T830 pin 1 or 501 splice or steering module itself. Didn't you tell me harness is separate from paddles to steering module? That's what I have in my notes.

12. fnkychkn

fnkychkn swollen member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    harness is separate from the switches and the module but may not be serviced separately from the steering wheel.

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. rw99

rw99 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Not looking forward to the amount of driving a service writer is going to need to do in order to simply reproduce a single mis-shift. And then what will they do??? What's the next "swap-able" component that could solve this issue, now that we know the paddle switches swap doesn't fix it?

Rich

14. "Charlene"

"Charlene" Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    I've got a 2015 Scat Pack A8. I have noticed that at very slow speeds in 2nd gear only and when it's revving just under 2k and I go to upshift with the paddle, it'll downshift back to 1st. I have noticed that if the RPM needle is above 2000 RPM it'll upshift just fine. Very weird issue.

15. rw99

rw99 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks for posting; it's good to know that this fault is not limited to the Hellcat A8.

Sucks, though.

Rich