SHIFTING PROBLEM!!

Discussion in 'Dodge Charger SRT 392' started by ufoldfirst, Jun 20, 2015.

1. cpremone

cpremone Rookie

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    I hear that! You know you read all of the feedback on this issue and what different owners are trying to do to try and fix this on their own like press hard on the paddles etc... All of which I totally respect and understand. But, the bottom line is when you hit up shift, the damn thing should upshift. Maybe I'm wrong, but I am currently not aware of another manufacturer that has this issue w paddle shifters.

• Like Like x 1
  2. blowabs

blowabs Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Well I just tried be going talk go to custom build to manual,., And the unfortunate downshifts happened again!!!!!?
    Back to the hard and fast shifting!!

3. marcusk

marcusk Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    The paddle replacements have worked twice for a good long time and then they fail again. Tell your dealer that FCA Canada and my dealer in Mississauga, Ontario have changed them twice and fixed the problem for an extended period of time. I have had other glitches with the tranny but a reprogram might fix those. Good luck.

4. toasteroven

toasteroven Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Can confirm this has been an issue prior to the '15s. I've had the paddles replaced on my '12. The upshift (right) paddle, intermittently, will just decide to ignore every 2nd or 3rd pull, despite the action being consistent (as in, I pull it the same nearly every time). The actual gear selector, when in AutoStick, works every time.

I think there was a STAR case on it, but the final solution was to just replace the paddles, over and over again. No superseded part number, no re-engineer.

I wouldn't hold my breath on the '15+ paddles being fixed.

• Useful Useful x 2
  5. blowabs

blowabs Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    I just had my SCCM [steering column control module] changed. Problem came back in 20 minutes.

6. Viper Chick

Viper Chick Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT 392
    ... had some work done regarding the A8 shifting issue. On the way to the dealer this morning to have them take a look at my paddle shifters, I changed the SRT drive modes on the fly (with the car driving at 45+ mph) between Default, Sport, Track, Custom, several times. After doing this, the car totally locked out the paddle shifter function. I was only able to shift w the auto-stick. I left my car running until the tech could take a look at the transmission issue when I arrived at the Service bay. They did some work on my car and had it for a couple hrs... (2.5 hr or so).

They did some flash updates and replaced the paddles on my steering wheel. The paddles operate like new - very smooth now. No missed shifts (after-service driving distance of 45 miles).

IMG_7140.JPG IMG_7142.JPG IMG_7144.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  7. blowabs

blowabs Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    I have a '15 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack and Had the problems of upshift/downshift Heard a guy who changes to SRT paddles n wiring...problem solved. When I did it - Problem Solved. Finally. Almost a year!

• Like Like x 2
  8. Hemibuck

Hemibuck Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Any update on this? I just has my tranny flashed and it's still doing it. They said next is to pull the valve body out to look for debris. This is just insane that they still have no fix. Is replacing the paddles and wiring harness the only known fix? I don't want them tearing into the tranny makes no sense to me.

9. rw99

rw99 Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The only known solution, as far as I've read/heard, is to use the console shifter for manual shifting in the A8.

I can confirm that paddle replacement does NOT fix the issue.

In my experience, the upshift paddle will work correctly all the time if you're driving the car hard... I can't tell whether this may simply be the result of the RPMs being high enough that an incorrect downshift is not permitted.

Rich

10. designt1

designt1 Rookie

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Found out how to replicate this issue at lunch today on my 2016 Charger Scat Pack and figure I'd share with you all.

1. Come to a stop
    2. In M mode, Use + paddle like normal up to 4th or 5th. Easy acceleration, not hard driving.
    3. Partially pull in the + paddle (not all the way in) and it will downshift every time. Once I downshift with the - paddle, I couldn't reproduce with the + paddle until I stopped again.

Let me know if you get the same result.