Shutdown A8 neutral

Discussion in 'Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat' started by SRT_HC_707, Mar 9, 2015.

1. SRT_HC_707

SRT_HC_707 SRT_HC_707 Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Wasn't quite sure which section to post this in.

I want to shutdown my A8 in neutral so I can lift the car (I'll block it so it doesn't roll) and paint my rotors.

I understand there is some procedure where you pull the console and there is a release.

Is there an easier way. I tried holding the stop button while in neutral with the car running. It doesn't shut down (WTF-- what if you need to shutdown for some reason).

I also read somewhere you can pull the start button and insert the key and that works. Before mucking around I figured I'd ask here. My first late model Mopar and it's very different in this respect.

Thanks.

2. DrBuick

DrBuick Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You can not shut off in N it sucks I tried when I tq my new drive shaft. Only way is pull the lever in console

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. SRT_HC_707

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks Doc. So the little cubby to the right of the shift lever. Can I just use some finger pressure to pull it up or do I need to pry it. Trying not to scare up my nice console....

I also learned from googling it that the 2015 push button start button DOES NOT REMOVE. Don't try to pull it out like the older cars. Some guy did and ended up trashing his button and had to replace the entire unit.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. RCC Turbos

RCC Turbos Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    If you are working under the car and want neutral just move the shift lever on the left side of the trans, I could move it and turn the drive shaft with my other hand when I was torquing the drive shaft bolts.

Richard

5. SRT_HC_707

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I can get under but I'm trying to figure out the best way to do this. Many situations I've got the wheels off the ground and I want to be able to turn the rears. Right not it is just so I can paint the rotors.

Why does simple stuff have to be stupid like this.

I owners manual shows the little cubby next to the shifter popping out. I tried by hand.. Doesn't want to budge. I need to find a picture somewhere (or if one of you guys wants to post one). I just don't want to scratch the console or break any clips. WTF. I can't believe I can't put this car in neutral without a fight :) (this is where the M6 guys say how easy it is LOL).

6. dodgeboy

dodgeboy Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    If you just want to turn the rears a little bit, can't you still do so in park? I know it has a limited slip diff, but isn't it possible to move the wheels at least a little bit? I know on my truck they move fairly freely (opposite each other) when in park.

7. DrBuick

DrBuick Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    There is 2 21 mm iirc that hold caliper on just take thoes out rotor pops right off.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. SRT_HC_707

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Doc / Richard... Thanks

I used Richard's method (wouldn't have ever thought to try that so thank you). Was a piece of cake.

Doc - Plan B was to remove the rotors as you suggested but didn't want to increase the risk of chipping the power coat on the rotors. (oh off topic... Not sure if you still want to sell your all seasons but if you do PM me. I PM'ed you and you either don't check or have me on ignore).

I would like to know how to get that console piece out. If anyone that knows can shoot a picture I'll buy you a beer. I was tugging on that sucker but didn't want to break any trim. Sheesh this is more work than it needs to be.

I painted a couple of coats on the bare parts of the rotors. Also did the ball joints and knuckles (not the entire knuckle but the face and any areas that were rusting. Cleaned them up with some sand paper, hit them with some denatured alcohol and painted them. I need to drive it to clean the paint off the edges of the rotors. The rotor faces flash rusted from sitting around but that will be gone first stop.

Also, cleaned the wheels inside and out with some denatured alchohol so they are ready for some sealant (help me keep them clean).

Paint on the wheels is so, so IMO. Inner edge is very thin. If you look closely at the face there are small pits in the paint here and there. No markings on the wheels anywhere. I know their forged but I'm used to seeing offset, manufacturer and country of origin somewhere (even on forged they are usually marked). Interesting... I do like the wheels (look and color).

Second coat of paint on the rotors is still wet so it looks very uneven but should level out. The first coat did.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. tsc

tsc SRT Hellcat Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Nice pics.. I should probably do that to each of the cars this spring or summer. Btw I have already claimed DrBuick's tires. :)

10. Nycsrt

Nycsrt BANNED

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You have to pull up the plastic holder next to shifter and pull up red string and car is neutral :)

11. SRT_HC_707

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I know that. I'm trying to get a picture of that the plastic cubby removed (where to pry and the tabs on the back). I was yanking on mine pretty darn hard. Also tried prying but it didn't want to budge. I don't want to damage trim. I'm sure it is a piece of cake once you do it but darn this thing was busting my chops.

Richard's suggestion above was an excellent "plan B". Worked out fine.

It's amazing how something so simple can be so hard. I also think it's a law suit waiting to happen when someone needs to shutdown their car in gear and can't in an emergency!

12. SRT_HC_707

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I saw that you claimed the tires later in the FS thread. Glad you got them. The car I bought has summer tires. Very nice tire but not going to work all year around. I'm hoping to grab a set of take off at some point. I didn't want to buy JIm's tires before I had a car. Last thing I need is a garage full of Hellcat stuff and no Hellcat LOL.

Your cars look great. Must be cool to have the option of a 2dr or 4 dr Hellcat every day of the week ;)