Slew of Burglaries From Vehicles Using New Tech

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by Robo21, May 22, 2016.

1. Robo21

Robo21 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    In Los Angeles and elsewhere there has been a rash of burglaries from vehicles utilizing an RF amplifier that will boost your key fob signal, otherwise too weak to open your car, to open your doors and trunk. The little black box amplifies your own secure code so that your car thinks you are standing at the door.

The thief then enters the vehicle takes what he wants and leaves. Most often they are on bicycles to make quick getaways. Numerous instances have been captured on video.

The solution is simple, use a Faraday cage type pouch or container to prevent the signal from reaching the vehicle. The author of the article I will link you to below suggests using your freezer which I don't recommend as that will prematurely age your fob's battery. Aluminum foil does NOT work, some dumbass news reporter here in L.A. (John Gregory) suggested that without even testing it and I can assure you it does not work.

Amazon sells Faraday pouches which are ridiculously expensive but will work. My wife, genius that she is found the perfect solution for us in our kitchen, reasonably priced, incorporating a sort of Faraday technology (the mesh metal screen on top) and it works flawlessly blocking the signal right next to the vehicle. Our solution is a stainless steel sifter with stainless steel screen built into the lid.

The media also recommends a microwave oven as a storage device, I don't like that solution either for obvious reasons.

I found out by accident the other night that the Hellcat FOB has impressive range. From 40 feet way through 2 load bearing walls and one interior wall I unintentionally unlocked the doors. Apparently, these amplifiers the thieves are using are sensitive enough that they can work with signals too weak to open the car by fob alone. The amplifier can take the weak signal and boost it enough to access the car.

I am not taking any chances some of thefts occurred within 5 miles of my home. I strongly suggest that we take this seriously, secure your fob.

I searched the forum didn't find any info so I thought I would share my solution. I know many have heard the story but apparently not enough to prevent the thefts that occurred last week here in L.A. News story video, etc. below photo.

key-storage.jpg

CNN Story:

Article regarding thefts: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/16/style/keeping-your-car-safe-from-electronic-thieves.html?_r=0

Fob guard: Fob Guard: Ideal Faraday Cage for Car Keyless Entry Fobs

• Useful Useful x 3
  2. Robo21

Robo21 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Great idea, one word of caution though, I am not certain that they do not have a button on their amplifier. In the CNN video an Escalade was locked and the owner had a dashcam video of the theft. You can hear the locks snap open which means some of these devices can pop the locks open. :eek:

One thing is certain, if the fob is electronically secure they won't be amplifying the signal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. MABBRYFL30

MABBRYFL30 NYS President Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Crooks really do research and extort you also sometimes. Sad to see. it happened. Some punks who got signals somehow. Inside job from someone who has access sounds like to me

4. Robo21

Robo21 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    According to the local Eyewitness News here in L.A. there were something like a dozen thefts in one neighborhood. I guess it could be an inside job if they all had something in common like they all used the same valet. The current theory seems to be that the mysterious black box they are carrying is designed to amplify the secure code of the owner's fob and thereby gain access with no prior contact. But who knows. Until they catch them and analyze the boxes we won't know for sure.

5. Robo21

Robo21 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Understood, thank you for clarifying that.

6. JollyRoger

JollyRoger Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Nothing worse than a thief!

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Obiefox

Obiefox Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Move out of LA and park your HC in your garage.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. MuscleGarageLA

MuscleGarageLA SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Move out of LA: Never

Garage the HC: Absolutely (irrespective of your location)

9. fnkychkn

fnkychkn swollen member Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Since the passive entry sequence relies on the FOBIK battery to amplify the RFID signal, I wonder what would happen if you simply removed the battery from the FOBIK.

Last edited: May 23, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Catless

Catless Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I'm watching this but at this point I don't believe it at all. I'm betting the vehicles are unlocked and the owner either doesn't know it or won't admit it due to embarrassment and possible insurance implications. We had a rash of thefts with the same hype given. Later it turned out the so called high tech thieves were simply checking every vehicle and often they found ones not locked.

11. BD2DBONE

BD2DBONE Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Never been a fan of the this fob idea. Don't know why we're not using keys anymore.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. Catless

Catless Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I watched the video.
    It has been over a year now the "authorities" have supposedly had in their possession these devices, more than one according to the various reports. The have not figured it out? I bet I could figure it out in a few days at most if I had one of the alleged devices.

13. MuscleGarageLA

MuscleGarageLA SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I don't know about anyone else, but i immediately made a dash to my garage and disabled the passive entry feature on my cars.

Forget all the anti theft mechanisms/devices, I think I might need to adopt a couple of Rottweilers...lol.

Last edited: May 23, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Toolman_42

Toolman_42 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    If man built it, man will figure out a way to defeat/break it

• Agree Agree x 5
  15. fnkychkn

fnkychkn swollen member Gold Supporting Member