'Slimer' got INJURED!!! Advice needed!

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat' started by Ironside, Jun 7, 2015.

1. Ironside

Ironside Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I really hate seeing these forum threads, didn't think I'd be posting one any time soon.

So, the other day my wife and I were going out for a day of shopping and my Hellcat was a tad dirty - normally I would insist on hand-washing but we were in a hurry and had to meet her mom and grandma for breakfast so there was no time!

Obviously, driving around the city with a dirty 'Cat was out of the question so I thought I would bring it by the local car wash that I've brought my 392 Challenger through 100 TIMES without issue!

We show up and I'm standing there watching them like a hawk as they vacuum the inside, clean the floor mats, etc. Everything is going fine until they go to drive my car onto the 'conveyor' for the actual wash.

It seems the MANAGER wanted to be the one to sit in a Hellcat so he barged his way in (car was in valet mode with black key) but when he let off the clutch the car must have gotten away from him as it jumped forward, bouncing my front rim into the side of the conveyor track.

The car kind of jolted into alignment and went through the wash. At first I didn't think TOO much of it because he really wasn't going all that fast (still, much faster than I would have liked)

I ran to the end of the wash and as my car came rolling out I noticed the damage done to two of my rims!!!

FRONT RIM:

01.jpg 02.jpg 03.jpg

REAR RIM:

04.jpg 05.jpg 06.jpg

I demand to see a manager (which is when I find out THIS MORON is the manager) and I tell him he has just 'f*cked up my new rims'. The manager blamed it on the guy who moved the car into position saying "he didn't line it up well enough" and I told him that he didn't need to "drive it as fast as he did like a moron"

The manager seemed pretty angry at himself and said "we'll take care of this, go give your name and number to the girl at the front desk".

I went inside and left my info, I also told them I would be heading straight down to the local Dodge dealership for a quote on two new rims and would be dropping it off immediately after.

The lady at the counter said the OWNER of the carwash would be arriving "within the hour" and would be contacting me shortly - I agreed and left.

Chrysler parts department quoted me $1920 PER RIM but shaved off a bit of the price to make it $1540 plus tax.

Total cost including tax is = $3480.40 not including another $30 per tire for mounting and balancing and a $90 alignment check.

I returned to the car wash and dropped off the quote, then my wife and I went about our business. I called the carwash multiple times that day trying to reach the owner but he was "still out".

I started to suspect shenanigans so I returned to the carwash right before they closed and demanded to speak with the owner. I was confronted by the manager and told "he is aware of it and will contact you in a week after he figures out some "LOWER COST REPAIR OPTIONS"

I... LOST... MY... SHIT................

I explained to them that there would be NO lower cost options and that they would be buying me two brand new rims as that is what I had before this moron got behind the wheel and started having Indy 500 fantasies.

The manager said he would remind the owner to call me and he would see what he says.

Before I left I told him that I wished to resolve this without conflict, but if it needs to progress to that point, so be it.

A day later, the owner has yet to call me.

I have started legal proceedings as I do not believe this owner will do the right thing without me dragging his ass into court (which I will not hesitate to do). My lawyer is giving the owner Monday to 'do the right thing' and then an official letter is being sent to the carwash.

My question is, should I be demanding NEW RIMS? I didn't think a patch or repair job would last in the long run and may look like crap. The dealership said that once you compromise the surface integrity of the wheel finish it is bad news down the road.

I don't want to be unreasonable, I think this guy needs to pay up and teach his staff a lesson about respect for someone's property.

I also had a witness to the entire thing give me his business card and say I could call him if I needed a witness for court purposes.

I KNEW I should not have broken my cardinal "no car-wash rule" because THIS is what happens.

• Agree Agree x 8
  2. Fionn MacCumhaill

Fionn MacCumhaill Irish A'Hole - Wanna Fight About It!? Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    DO NOT settle for anything less than new rims! I am impressed with your amount of self control. Me personally, I don't know if I could have been as civil. Regardless, it it their fault the damage occurred and their responsibility to address the issue in a way that satisfies your expectations of repairing the damage.

I wish you good luck and hope it all works out for the best.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Shake&Bake

Shake&Bake Back to (1) Club?

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Ditto, I'd burn that Mfer down

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Srt8u

Srt8u Silver Member Hellcat Supporting Vendor

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    New rims period.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. april77

april77 Naughty SheDevil Mod Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Iron, I am really sorry to read about this ... it makes my stomach hurt. Ugh! Keep your resolve and get the new rims. It was the car wash employee's negligence that caused the damage, so let the owner file a claim on his insurance, or take it out of the employee's pay that caused the damage ... either way, his business is liable.

I hope that this gets worked out with minimal headache and hassle on your part, and glad to read that you have the contact information of a witness to back you up. Please let us know how this develops!

April

PS - I agree with Fionn ... your control is impressive!

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Ironside

Ironside Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thank you April, you're very sweet.

I'm doing EVERYTHING in my power to keep from having a nervous break-down; I've never had curb rash on an SRT in my LIFE (I think I shmucked my 1999 Neon into a curb once when I was 17 but that doesn't count)

I haven't even been driving this thing in the RAIN... I was JUST getting used to the 2 minor paint blemishes from the factory but now THIS!??

I'm lucky in ONE sense... my uncle is a partner at one of the biggest law firms in my city and he said he would sue the shit out of this guy for me for free! LOL

According to my uncle, he has Monday to "do the right thing" - paperwork goes out Tuesday.

7. BlackCat

BlackCat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    yeah. that sucks. but what ever. get over it. i dinged both my rear rims within a week. stupid drive through! ;-) i dont go in the drive through any more! it happens.

8. Ironside

Ironside Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Had it been ME dinging the rims, I would have nobody to blame but myself... someone ELSE injures my kid (especially by driving like a moron rather than an honest mistake), they'll pay. :mad:

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. BlackCat

BlackCat Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    good point! i agree! get those bastards! ;-)

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Profezzor X

Profezzor X Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    It's not truly a "hand car wash" if they're letting the machines do all the washing, and they rub it down with towels afterwards.

That's why since day one, I've washed my cars myself at those do-it-yourself places. It's cheaper, you don't have to tip anyone, you'd most likely treat the car like the most precious metal on earth, and if a spot is missed, you can't get angry at anyone else but yourself.

• Agree Agree x 5
  11. Ironside

Ironside Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Agreed.

This one is an auto-wash where they vacuum inside, clean the mats, do some selective power washing/hand washing of certain spots, then send it through the machine; they then towel it off and do the tire shine thing.

Usually I insist on hose, bucket and sponge in my driveway.

12. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Gotta love quarter car washes nobody but me there

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  13. StellasHC

StellasHC Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
  15. Ironside

Ironside Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Perhaps if this guy ever wants to crawl out from hiding under his desk long enough to actually TALK to me, it could be a solution. I'm sure he'd rather pay $2500 CDN + shipping (after exchange, taxes, etc) rather than $3,500 for brand new ones.

Windsor, ON isn't even THAT far from Chicago-area.

If this guy doesn't contact me on Monday though, I'm just going to destroy him in court (I've been looking up case law as well, doesn't look good for him)