Small "whine" I'm hearing now....could it be the DS?

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Performance' started by Driver72, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    So today I took the Hellcat out for a spin around town for the first time since I had the aluminum DS installed (other than the 7-8 mile drive home after the install).

I turned the stereo off to do a little cruising and accelerating to see if I could hear or feel anything different.

I noticed when I was cruising, 40, 50 or so mph, almost like on cruise control, that if/when I just ever so lightly rested my foot on the accelerator, almost barely picking up speed...literally just enough that I wasn't losing speed....I could hear what sounds like a little hum or whine.
    It's NOT the supercharger whine, as it doesn't sound like it's coming from the front. It actually sounds more like it's coming from behind me, and definitely from below.

I hadn't really tested this before when the OEM driveshaft was in.
    You really need a keen ear to hear it, it's not overly loud and if you give the car any real throttle it's not there.
    It's literally just when cruising and you almost just rest your foot on the accelerator with a minute amount of pressure. Or if you have the stereo on even a low volume it drowns it out. But it's definitely there now.
    Again, maybe it was there stock too, I don't know. But I hear it now, so wanted to see if this was a result of going with an aluminum DS or it's there stock too and I never noticed it.
    Not a big deal if it is a result of the aluminum DS, as the pros outweigh that little con.

So the question is, has anybody else noticed this?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  2. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I never drive with radio on and noticed mine on the way home when I bought it because of the 55mph limit. Now it's more past 70 that I hear the rear end. I can tell you more after this weekend as I will put my shaft in and will see if it's the same. Driveshafts don't make noise but if the pinion angle changed it MIGHT make a difference but I doubt it.
    If you really have to listen to hear it you're okay IMHO

usmc341 was really loud

3. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat

Good to know that you heard yours stock.
    That's a good point, it may be the rear end.
    I just never paid that close attention to it before. I was wondering "how could a 1 piece aluminum shaft make a whine noise"?
    The connectors are the same as stock, it's just a different shaft. So, yes, it was baffling me that it would be the shaft.

More than likely it was there since stock, I just never took the time to really listen and pay attention to it.
    You can definitely hear it when you do what I posted in the OP. When I gave it even the smallest amount more of throttle the whine goes away.

4. StellasHC

StellasHC Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Its the diff... A lot of us are having this issue, some worse than others. Some are getting their diffs replaced...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. TallCool1

TallCool1 Gold Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member Nat'l Hellcat Tech Advisor HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    So would you hear it during no acceleration? I take mine up to speed but darn it I cannot discern all the noises going on, being un educated what to listen for, not having any experience listening for a diff issue. :confused: I hear something I question what it is, only at certain speeds. Ugh...

6. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I heard the same thing when I brought my car home,, and the first 200 miles ,,I haven't heard it in a long time

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. B5 Blue

B5 Blue Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    When it's really bad you'll hear it all the time. Usually the pinion gear makes noise under load and swerving makes no difference. Carrier gears are the same but swerving can make a diffemce so you need chassis ears to see if that or axle bearings on a solid rear.
    Hope this helps

8. VanishingPoint

VanishingPoint Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yes & No. I have had the whine for a while and wondered, but once it increased when I lowered the car I knew it was the Dif.
    And when I added the CF DS, it made it worse-technically just due to the fact that it is one pieces vs the 2 piece heavier stocker..

One look at mine showed wagging heads.

9. Fast cat

Fast cat BANNED Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have the same sound and I am 100%stock!

10. gerlacher

gerlacher Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Have the same noise, does it exactly as described. Just hardly on the throttle. All stock, 2500 miles on it. Not too concerned with it yet.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. DGatzby

DGatzby Gold Member Hellcat Car Club HCC Charter Member Midwest Regional Pres.

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Mine exactly since mile #5. I will say at 4000 mi it is not as loud now. Also more noticeable before total warm-up.
    I had a couple of techs listen early. They said wait and see as it wears/breaks-in the lash may change and then potentially all is good. I am going to live with it for a while, we have a monster warranty.

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Thanks guys for all the replies and input.
    If it's been there since stock, well then I've never heard it before. But since many of you have noticed it since stock, well then chances are it has been.
    I don't know if the aluminum DS has made it more apparent or not. I also installed under carriage subframe braces so wasn't sure if that affected anything. Figured there is no way it would, but since it was the very next day that I heard it, those may be a culprit. But again, I was intentionally listening for the DS when I noticed the whine.
    I'll keep my ears peeled to see if it gets worse, better, or no change. If I do notice it getting worse, I'll have them take a look and listen at the dealer sometime.

13. Link

Link Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I have 400 miles on mine and have heard the same thing. Around 40-50 if you barely hit the gas a whine comes from the rear, but doesn't do it under no load. I don't notice it at higher speeds.

14. Driver72

Driver72 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yup that's exactly it too.
    I was just driving around and noticed it again, but then after about 5-6 miles and a couple quick little blasts up to 90 mph, on my way home, I was cruising at 40 mph and tried to get it to do it, and it would not. Tried it at 50 mph and still couldn't
    So it seems once the rear end warms up a bit, it may go away....maybe why I never noticed it before.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. upnorthstar

upnorthstar Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I have this noise...it seems normal...never heard of a completely silent diff....of course I would't hear it if it was silent..lol