So apparently I need a new transmission, at 700 miles

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by dodgeboy, Mar 20, 2015.

1. dodgeboy

dodgeboy Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I took my < 2 week old Charger HC into the dealer this week because it was leaking fluid. The dealer said it needed a new trans pump seal. 2 days later they ordered the part, and it arrived today. It was the wrong part, and now they're saying that the transmission is not a serviceable item, and the entire transmission needs to be replaced. I'm waiting on a call back to hear how long it is going to take to get a new transmission.

A few questions:
    1) Does this make sense? Can the trans pump seal really not be replaced without replacing the entire transmission? That seems insane to me. It also seems fishy that they would've been able to originally order a part for an item that is not serviceable.
    2) Is the VIN stamped on the transmission, like it is on the engine block? It will make me very sad to no longer have a numbers matching hellcat at 700 miles, because of a faulty seal, if that's the case.
    3) Has anyone heard of anyone else having to go through this? How long should I expect the vehicle to be at the dealer? Should there be any special provisions in this case, since I haven't even owned the vehicle for 2 weeks, and it has spent more time at the dealer than in my hands?

Original thread here: Power steering fluid leak SRT Hellcat Forum

Edit (4/17): Transmission was replaced, but it was NOT the source of the problem. The transmission did not fail/leak. The leak was power steering fluid all along, and just presented itself in a very obscure way that threw everyone for a loop.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
  2. TIGwelder

TIGwelder SSDD

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The pump is not on the input shaft like other tranmisssions. It is mounted offset inside the case and chain driven I believe. So I would think a leak near the convertor/input shaft would not be the pump.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. CubeMan

CubeMan Tri-State Overlord

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    vin matching doesn't matter today. Don't worry about it. Drive the car and enjoy it. No one is looking for matching vins on 2008-2014 challengers.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. TIGwelder

TIGwelder SSDD

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Sounds like it may be nobody knows the service on it and instead of goofing around and throwing parts at it they are going to swap it out.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. dodgeboy

dodgeboy Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    The puddles aren't even near the transmission, but they are insistent that the leak is coming from the transmission pump seal. How do I even handle this?

6. dodgeboy

dodgeboy Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    I'm ok with that, as long as it doesn't sit there for months waiting on a new transmission... I obviously don't want them messing with it if they aren't capable of servicing it. But I can't believe I have to wait for a new transmission for what is probably a $10 part.

7. DrBuick

DrBuick Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Yes they take back old parts and see what went wrong. Had to do it to my dads 300

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. scoutermike

scoutermike Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Sounds logical that instead of throwing parts at it, Chrysler wants the tranny back to see exactly where and why it's leaking. These are made by ZF directly in Germany. Personally, I would rather have a complete replacement than a mechanic trying to fix it.

• Agree Agree x 12
  9. TIGwelder

TIGwelder SSDD

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Is it leaking on belly pan and then dripping out elsewhere. I'm sure once under the car they can see the source location

10. jerry green

jerry green Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    ....30 years from now that might not be true boss.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. dodgeboy

dodgeboy Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    It doesn't matter today, but it probably will in 30 years. I t
    Exactly. So does anyone know if it is stamped?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. bolivarshagnasty

bolivarshagnasty Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Dodge replacing the entire transmission is better for you. Consider that something else may have caused the seal to leak. Shaft out of round, unbalanced, poor surface finish. You don't want to be the guinea pig when it comes to trying to figure out what's going on. Just keep on their ass about getting the car back to you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. dodgeboy

dodgeboy Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Good point. I agree that this is probably better overall. It's just tough news to hear. And I have a bad feeling it's going to be sitting at the dealer for a long time waiting for a new transmission.

14. Carnage

Carnage SRT Hellcat Supercharged Moderator Staff Member Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member HCC Charter Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Sorry to hear man hope it resolved quickly for you DB

15. Steven_sbs

Steven_sbs Browncoats Unite Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    If you plan to keep the car for 30 to 40 years, never drive it, keep the mileage very very low, put it up on blocks in a climate controlled storage facility, it might matter that it doesn't have a numbers matching trans. However, if you can document the trans swap, show all the paperwork, with pictures, then no one will care in 30 years. There are many old cars of all makes and brands with factory authorized engine and trans swaps that are still worth a fortune. If it were my car, I would politely ask for a rental car paid by Dodge or your dealer for as long as it takes to have a new trans brought in and installed. Then I would take your repaired car, drive it gently for the recommended break in period, and then drive the daylights out of it, love life, and enjoy your car. There will be so many of these cars made that they will never be worth a million dollars in 40 years. They won't even be worth the $25k mark-up many people paid one year from now. Parts break, things happen. I know it's frustrating, but it's all under warranty. Be well John Spartan. Have a joy-joy day.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1