So let's do the Hellcat math.............

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat General Discussions' started by bolivarshagnasty, Jan 19, 2015.

1. bolivarshagnasty

bolivarshagnasty Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Initial estimates were 50 to 60 per day. As reality has set in, 35 seems to be the norm and has been so for a couple of months. With the build cycle for 2015's going through the second week in September, that gives us 32 weeks left in the year. At 35 per day, that's about 5600. Throw in every other Saturday, and that's an additional 560. Add the approximately 2000 that have been built to date and you get a grand total in the ballpark of 8000. You can nit pick this number either way a few hundred, i.e. holidays off, supply issues, or greater efficiency, but it's probably close.

Now consider that Kuniskis is on record as stating that Dodge has 7000+ orders to date. That leaves 1000 as a cushion. Here is the rub. As people come in off of the street and land a Hellcat at a Dealership that meets the criteria and has an allocation, it eats in to the cushion of production capability that Dodge has for 2015. The forum frequently has someone announcing they have scored a new HC, having arrived at this game in December or January. Good for them, shame on Dodge for allowing this.

At what point will Dodge tell those of us with VON's that we need to seek out Dealerships that are receiving allotments, or decide that they will build the sold orders before accepting anymore new ones? It doesn't appear that they will be able to meet demand for 2015 and do you really want a '15 in September after waiting for 9 months to a year?

So feel free to correct my math, my assumptions, or anything else about this post. Trying to wrap my head around this whole situation with as many facts as I can find. If the allocation process continues into May and June, I'm worried some of us will be left out and the respective Dealers will tell us that they are sorry Dodge couldn't make enough to go around. :mad:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. rayzazoo

rayzazoo DRIVESRT.COM Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Dodge won't tell you directly to seek out another dealership.

The only thing that Dodge did recently is release information regarding how the allocation process works.

The hope is that February, they will start prioritizing the customer sold orders and hopefully the VON list will aide them in doing that.

• Like Like x 1
  3. bfusion

bfusion Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You are a smart man RZ. How can Dodge think they will punish a dealer that has a Cat sit on their lot. These cars should have gone to sold orders. They have no problem selling dealer cars to frustrated buyers from $1-5k over MSRP. Most of these buyers are people that have been waiting since early in the ptocess and are willing to pay an upcharge to keep their sanity. Meanwhile the dealer who is already making a bigger profit on this car than any other car on his lot, is scoring an additional $5K. All the while Dodge stands back and watches thinking they are smarter than anybody else having developed the allocation system. News flash Dodge, your bigger dealers figured out how to make 10K per car and have you guys keep supplying them. Let the sold orders put the 5K in the smaller dealers pocket and give them their cars!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Bfusion, Whats the story with your car?

5. adub

adub Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I think your logic is absolutely correct. When I ordered in October, every dealer I contacted in the Houston area had lists well into the teens, even 20s deep. I figured it would be near impossible to for them to get all those cars allocated, so I shopped other markets until I found a dealer with a much shorter list. Worked out for me.

6. Zebug

Zebug Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    1-5k.....I'm still seeing them for $20k over sitting on the lot.

You're numbers are probably pretty close bshag. The only way the allocation system will work is if it has enough time for Dodge to see cars sitting on the lot and not giving those dealers more cats to sell....if they cut the allocation system off now, it would have never materialized. The greedy dealers still get their 20k markup and then the rest of their customers finally get their car built.

That all said, I do hope they drop the allocation system and just start on the sold orders by order date. It's ok to say, "the allocation system failed, but we are going to try and take steps to make it right by building sold orders........."

• Like Like x 1
  7. bfusion

bfusion Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    You are probably right Z. I had heard that at MSRP a dealer makes between $5-6K. I know that when these cars started showing up on lots and people did not have their cars yet or the hype had spurred some that did not necessarily intend to get one, to got to these dealers and pay what the dealers were asking. If the car does not sit on the lot, there is no penalty to that dealer. If the dealer prices them to move or is willing to haggle, they are not penalized for their next allocation. Hence the system punishes the sold orders from the smaller dealers. Dodge just needs to see this and make it right, even if they have to admit this system did not work on this car

• Like Like x 1
  8. 1FSTCAT

1FSTCAT The Punisher

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Resume Speed put out the build projections and the increased shifts...go with those figures. You're also not considering that the Charger is built at that plant.

9. bfusion

bfusion Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    The Jan allocation went past with my dealer telling me last week he has one scheduled to be delivered this week. Once that is delivered it opens my allocation. This is what I am being told. I don't know what to believe. Several members here have been great trying to help me find a car. I have waited this long and I am kind of stuck on Pitch Black with Black Laguna, and auto. This will likely be my only purchase like this , so I want what I want. After the Feb allocation if my car is not scheduled to be built, I will aggressively look for a car at a dealer

10. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Did you get a chance , or will you be heading do to the auto show this week, They have two hellcats on the floor you can sit in, One with tan leather the other with black, Even have a B5 charger scat pack

11. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Crazycoyote, I really don't see anyone getting 15% off msrp on a hellcat....

12. bfusion

bfusion Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I was supposed to go yesterday but it didn"t work out. I plan on going next Saturday morning with both my sons. I was hoping to catch Tim K there to let him know what I think of the allocation systemo_O

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. bfusion

bfusion Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    What color were the Cats, HC1?

14. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Both Torred, and two Scat packs, One B5, and the other Torred, Both scat packs were chargers..

15. hellcat1

hellcat1 Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Man I would love to meet time to Sign my car....