SO YOU WANT TO CHANGE YOUR TIRES DO YOU.... SEE WHY YOUR DOING IT WRONG

Discussion in 'SRT Hellcat Wheels and Tires' started by Milspec, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Milspec

Milspec Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I spent a lot of time with Pirelli today and spoke with Michelin and here is what I learned. Pirelli makes several models of the exact same P-ZERO tire however the Hellcat version has a special product code. Pirelli spent 2 years developing these tires with SRT FOR THIS CAR EXCLUSIVELY!!! There is no other car currently wearing this EXACT tire as original equipment. Still want to change them? Let's look at some popular choices and see whats wrong with them for daily driving. First the stock tires are not just a 275 / 40 / zr20 also is the very important load index and speed rating... 106Y

Michelin Pilot Super Sport 315-35-20 has 104 load index...WRONG
    Michelin PS2 305-35-20 load index 104y.... WRONG
    NITTO- speeding rating is W not Y so its...WRONG (1/4 mile Track Tire only)
    Pirelli P-Zero 305-35-20 (designed for Ferrari) again wrong load index... 104y

And it goes on and on. If it fits it either has the wrong LOAD Index or WRONG SPEED rating. Now aside from your own personal safety and those that share the road with you here is a good reason why it's important. The manufacture has INSTRUCTED YOU THAT ANY TIRE WITH A LOAD INDEX LESS THAN 106 AND A SPEED RATING NO LESS THAN Y IS UNSAFE .... Suppose you're on the highway and your tire goes and or your car rolls or hits someone ( NO MORE RUN FLAT SYSTEM) you would be at fault for installing unsafe tires on the car, don't believe me call your insurance company or lawyer.

Other than the stock tires I have only found one that meets all REQUIREMENTS and they are MICKEY THOMPSON and for all round performance and daily driving I don't think you can beat the OEM.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
    • Useful Useful x 19
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  2. blaze

blaze ☆★✪ The Watcher ✪★☆ Hellcat Car Club Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    i agree with you here, it is just that the stock tires are not so good at the track.. i guess it is all depending on what you drive and where.. as far as the insurance company or lawyer goes with tires, there are so many variables that could contribute to an accident..

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. MattG

MattG Gold Member Hellcat Car Club

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT Hellcat
    Excellent read

4. Mills

Mills Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Hmmmm - so if you don't check the summer tire box on the order form, you are doing it WRONG and your car is bound to roll? Sorry - they may have been selling but I ain't buying

The motor will seize if we don't use Pennzoil too :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. hemiplymouth

hemiplymouth Senior Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Good info======Thanks

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. SRT_HC_707

SRT_HC_707 SRT_HC_707 Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Actually you should add the Cooper RS3-S to the list. Same tire as the Mickey Thompson (Cooper owns Mickey and the Mickey is a rebranded Cooper). It's the Pirelli technically a 106Y+ rating (which exceeds 106Y).

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  7. paul suloff

paul suloff Silver Member

(Y) is the speed rating 186MPH + The 106 is the load rating, how much weight the tire can carry. 106Y means 2094# per tire at 186 MPH+ Don't get all excited on speed rating because to get a Y the tire needs to sustain 186 MPH at load for a very extended period of time. Heat and load is what kills tires. Don't think anybody is going 186 for a half hour straight? Most OEMs spec a unique tire for HP cars.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. FLEX

FLEX Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    If you are pushing your car to the limit on a regular basis then maybe your post makes sense.

I am guessing most don't.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Hemi Rocket

Hemi Rocket Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Milspec... I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. There are a lot of different tires that are 275/40/20 with a 106Y rating some that have a higher load capacity than the stock Pzero. If you install a tire of a different brand but is the same size and meets all the ratings I don't see what the issue is. And you indicates MT makes one that is acceptable... what is it? If what your saying is true then virtually every car on the road is illegal. If Pirelli has a special code for the Pzero's we use on our Hellcats... what is that code? :confused:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  10. FLEX

FLEX Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Seriously if you are on a public highway then just about any comparable tire is MORE than adequate.

You don't need a Y rated tire to do sustained speeds of 75 mph.

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. Booky

Booky Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Unless I am missing something, the Michelin Pilot Super Sport 315/35ZR20 has a 110Y load index:

Michelin Pilot Super Sport
    Michelin Pilot Super Sport

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  12. hemipower

hemipower Hellcat Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    I run the Nittos and I'm fine with the W rating...I don't go 168 for an extended time with the car fully loaded...ever. So even these tires are beyond my needs. No reason to have a Y tire as I certainly won't go 186 fully loaded for extended time...seconds only on a track and even runway roll racing I don't get over 150 mph. For some being that detailed about a tire might be needed but for my use...not really.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Nitemare

Nitemare Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Charger SRT 392
    Agree that your post is a little over the top. This will never be a concern for most people.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. TNCHARGER

TNCHARGER SRT Hellcat Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    Nothing I read here would make me not change tires...actually I already have...long as the tires are load rated to carry the vehicle's weight and the speed rating is within your driving plans the lawsuits and accidents caused by incorrect tires won't happen...unless the sky begins to fall...

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. VanishingPoint

VanishingPoint Silver Member

Vehicle:
    Challenger SRT Hellcat
    This post (and not bashing) is why people get bent about (literally) the forged rim vs cast rims. A lot of it has direct science to back it up; some things are just built better and stronger, the big question is whether you "need it" or "want it."

You a 200 mph 4500 lb car (empty) capable of pulling 1 G force in any direction it chooses. Loads are tremendous on the vehicle so rims & rubber bear that brunt (and driveshafts). It behooves one to be in the zone, or exceed it-but I also have heard there are people who NEVER drive on anything other than the black key.

Me? Well I like the full capability of the vehicle and don't want to worry so I will do my best to meet/exceed in everything I do.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1